Do you feel safer with self-driving cars on the road?

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations and potential benefits of self-driving cars. Some individuals are skeptical and believe that human drivers are still necessary for safe driving, while others argue that self-driving cars could potentially improve safety on the road. The conversation also touches on the idea of feeling safe versus actually being safe, and the potential for self-driving cars to handle complex situations involving pedestrians. There is also mention of the development and progress of self-driving car technology, and differing opinions on when it will become widely adopted.

Do you feel safer with self-driving cars on the road?

• Yes

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • No opinion

Votes: 7 9.3%

• Total voters
yungman said:
Yeh, I know, a lot of people just amazed by new technology, I am just not one of those.

Do you not fly on airplanes that use auto pilot?

yungman said:
All I know is people died already because of the self driving car failed, I think it's a Tesla. It was on the news.

Maybe you missed this? NTSB says Tesla not at fault.
https://www.wired.com/2017/01/probing-teslas-deadly-crash-feds-say-yay-self-driving/

yungman said:
say they never fail is very idealistic. They fail.

What is important is the probability of a human failing vs computer. My bet is humans will fail far more often.

Computer science news on Phys.org
yungman said:
BTW, it is not a fair comparison between auto pilot in planes and cars. There are so so fewer planes than cars.
More cars, more accidents. Less planes but a lot less accidents. Statistically planes are safer, especially auto pilots.
(All these as far as I know so far)
yungman said:
Planes has a wide open space and FAA has regulation planes cannot get within a certain distant ( big distance) between planes. Try having plane traffic jam like cars. This is like if you have auto drive cars in a desert or in Alaska, you are the only one on the road, then it is safe. Try bumper to bumper, with lousy drivers.
There may be a point here, I am not sure, but 1) we have to compare something with something 2) failure is failure ...
yungman said:
Yeh, I know, a lot of people just amazed by new technology, I am just not one of those.
I am not naively amazed either. I know what you mean. I am a simple person, as well as complicated, and I like simple life almost as well as (or a bit more than) modern technology, but in any case I think the latter is necessary, because now humans and technology/machines evolve together, otherwise there would be a major set-back.
yungman said:
You like to take the chance, by all means.
No chances ... no progress! ...

Number of planes vs accident is not linear. You can have malfunction, but if you have more time to react, you can avoid accident. In heavy traffic, you have split second to react, any malfunction is deadly.

One more important difference, airline pilots are well trained, two people one check the other. Car drivers are morons, you have drunk drivers, you can't compare.

yungman said:
Car drivers are morons, you have drunk drivers, you can't compare.
Isn't that an argument to put control of cars into computer's hands?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Isn't that an argument to put control of cars into computer's hands?
No, I mean can the auto pilot react to it.

yungman said:
No, I mean can the auto pilot react to it.
React to the drunk driver? Shouldn't the drunk be asleep in the back seat of their car while the car safely drives him/her home? Are you saying you can react to a drunk faster than a computer?

Don't forget about the hacking. Before you know it, they will have Netflix for passenger, you have apps to find things, to do things, all sort of fancy things that go right back to a full blown computer communicating with the rest of the world, there you go hacking.

Greg Bernhardt said:
React to the drunk driver? Shouldn't the drunk be asleep in the back seat of their car while the car safely drives him/her home?
No, moron want to drive wild. I was young once, I did went out intentionally driving drunk! Yes, I was stupid, but I am sure I am not the only one.

Greg Bernhardt said:
React to the drunk driver? Shouldn't the drunk be asleep in the back seat of their car while the car safely drives him/her home? Are you saying you can react to a drunk faster than a computer?
I think he means one sdc versus drunks

yungman said:
No, moron want to drive wild. I was young once, I did went out intentionally driving drunk! Yes, I was stupid, but I am sure I am not the only one.
Right, are you saying you as a human will be able to react faster/safer to a drunk than your car computer?

Guys, I don't want to get into debate. Ha ha, I am 64, I doubt I will see the day cars all driving on their own. To each their own, this is a never ending debate. I designed so much electronics, I become pessimistic. My engineer can't even write the AHDL right and I had to go in and deglitch the FPGA!

I better get out of this.

It's a discussion. No one is attacking anyone. Both sides said good points. But as you wish.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
yungman said:
I absolutely do not feel safe with autonomous cars. 40 years after PC becomes popular, you still have blue screen, freezing and all. When I PC froze, you swear, you kick and you restart it. When you are in on the road and the car goes crazy, you can get killed.

@yungman , I thought of you today. While watching a show, my TV went mute out of the blue. Start zapping, it's on all channels. Long story short, I unplug the cable terminal for a few minutes, re-plug it and wait for the reset. The sound is back on.

I'm wondering if a self-driven vehicle will need a reset like that from time to time? You know, after you loose the steering or the brakes. :)):nb):smile:

jack action said:
@yungman , I thought of you today. While watching a show, my TV went mute out of the blue. Start zapping, it's on all channels. Long story short, I unplug the cable terminal for a few minutes, re-plug it and wait for the reset. The sound is back on.

I'm wondering if a self-driven vehicle will need a reset like that from time to time? You know, after you loose the steering or the brakes. :)):nb):smile:
Emergency back-up system. As in planes, auto pilots etc. ... (?)

Do self driving cars know how to drive on snow and ice? If so, are they better than a typical human? Or are they safer than a mixture of typical and bad human drivers?

FactChecker said:
Do self driving cars know how to drive on snow and ice? If so, are they better than a typical human? Or are they safer than a mixture of typical and bad human drivers?
The only difference between being on ice or asphalt is the level of traction reached before the vehicle starts slipping or sliding. Once the limit is reached, sliding on asphalt or sliding on ice is pretty much the same and the same reactions should be expected from the driver. It only happens at lower speeds and accelerations.

If there are any differences, roll over is more probable on asphalt, something you don't really have too worry when on ice.

Likes Stavros Kiri and FactChecker
jack action said:
The only difference between being on ice or asphalt is the level of traction reached before the vehicle starts slipping or sliding. Once the limit is reached, sliding on asphalt or sliding on ice is pretty much the same and the same reactions should be expected from the driver. It only happens at lower speeds and accelerations.

If there are any differences, roll over is more probable on asphalt, something you don't really have too worry when on ice.
I agree. What I wonder about is if it would detect it and know what to do. Can it see a patch of ice coming up and know to just coast across? The more people talk about removing the steering wheel, the more significant these automated capabilities are.

Likes Stavros Kiri
The bigger issue according to what I have read is the impact on the sensors in snow and rain. Vehicles already have road condition sensing(Wet and ice), and wheel speed based traction control that monitors for slipping. Humans are awful at driving in bad conditions, tunnel vision, stress, too high speed, following too closely - etc...

Windadct said:
The bigger issue according to what I have read is the impact on the sensors in snow and rain. Vehicles already have road condition sensing(Wet and ice), and wheel speed based traction control that monitors for slipping. Humans are awful at driving in bad conditions, tunnel vision, stress, too high speed, following too closely - etc...
It's true that traction control is good and that a typical mixture of drivers is bad on ice and snow. That being said, I'm not sure that I would want a car without a steering wheel if I was on a road with patches of ice or snow. I know that I can see the bad patch ahead and prepare to just coast across it. I haven't seen any mention of those situations when people talk about self driving cars. I would like to know what the current state of the art is.

PS. I just saw a warning to not use cruise control while driving today (snow and ice hit last night). Apparently traction control and cruise control are typically not coordinated.

The difference between a road covered in ice or not is easy: comparing wheel rpm with velocity and keeping track of the yaw velocity will give you good indications.

I guess identifying a patch of ice is more difficult. But you can still monitor wheel rpm and compare it with the vehicle velocity in a rather instantaneous way. As for looking ahead (like slowing down for a patch of ice in the curve ahead), I guess some probability of the road conditions to come can be calculated based on the road already traveled and adjust the speed accordingly, just like a human does. And, although I'm no expert in the field, if a human can see a patch of ice ahead, I can't imagine there are no vision systems that already exist that cannot detect it either and make an appropriate guess of what it is, keeping the decision process on the safe side (i.e. slow down). They are people working on such vision systems for sure.

Another way with AI, is sharing information. If one car slips on a patch of ice, the info can be sent to a central database and be available to all other vehicles passing afterward.

jack action said:
sharing information
- car to car networking is a HUGE advantage - but I have never seen any info on work in this. Since the different manufacturers would need to agree on the format it needs to be agreed upon and/or set federally.

I wonder how the dynamics between driven cars and driverless cars will play out.

A driver knows that a driverless car will always demure, acting in favor of safety. So, what's to stop drivers from constantly cutting in on driverless vehicles?
Every day, I see situations in my city where driverless cars will be literally paralyzed, unmoving, as car after car takes advantage of their noncompetitive nature.

Likes QuantumQuest, FactChecker and jack action
jack action said:
Unless (e.g. sometimes in roads with large slope & ice or snow) the limit is already reached and the driver or sdc is "caught on sleep" ... with no reaction possible!
Ice and snow can sometimes be very tricky!

FactChecker said:
The more people talk about removing the steering wheel, the more significant these automated capabilities are.
IMO the steering wheel and option for manual mode doesn't hurt, ... just in case. Why remove it? I am against that, although I voted 'yes' to the poll.
(I am sure there are always cases where a human driver must override and take control, unless a perfect override and/or back-up system can achieve the same emergency or simple convenience result ...)

Last edited:
Likes QuantumQuest and FactChecker
I should have known that Canada would take the issue of self driving cars on snow and ice very seriously:

Likes Buzz Bloom and Stavros Kiri
FactChecker said:
I should have known that Canada would take the issue of self driving cars on snow and ice very seriously:

Cool detection stuff etc. ... and seems it's keeping the wheel - I like it!
(when are we getting one?)

In England we have a lot of roads like the one in this video I wonder how driverless cars will deal with the situation that occurs at just after 7min30. The camera is in a large truck/HGV..

Will there be a suitable button labelled "Give way to other driver even though I should have right of way"?

The HGV is also scrapping the bushes on either side. Would a driverless HGV allow that? Would there be a setting that allowed the passenger to adjust how aggressively the HGV pushes through overhanging vegetation?

Last edited:
Likes nsaspook, Stavros Kiri and FactChecker
CWatters said:
Will there be a suitable button labelled "Give way to other driver even though I should have right of way"?
If there are no steering wheels, this example shows that AI from each vehicle must be able to communicate with each other, just like human drivers do (sometimes just by making gestures or faces). Even if it is not the central database I was talking about earlier, there must be at least some 'local' communication.

Once vehicles communicate with each other, AI can find the best solution for both vehicles according to their needs and priorities. Stop signs and traffic lights wouldn't even be needed.
CWatters said:
Would there be a setting that allowed the passenger to adjust how aggressively the HGV pushes through overhanging vegetation?
That is an interesting problem. I guess it would be possible, but is it desirable? Can we put a setting on driverless cars that commands: «Jump off the bridge. That's what the passenger wants.» How much damage to the car is allowable before the car says «I won't do that!» I never seen such setting on contemporary machines: It's either the 'automatic' (fail-safe) or 'manual' (do whatever you want) mode.

It can even be worse when considering snow. People here in Canada often don't shovel the snowbank in front of their driveway (lazyness) and just drove over (or through) it. There might be a hidden curb under that snowbank too. How big of a snowbank would a driverless vehicle find acceptable? That decision not only depends on the size of the snowbank, but also on the type of snow as well.

The more I hear about the challenges of steeringless vehicles, the more I think we are far from this reality. :smile:

On some roads if an HGV didn't make contact with hedges then it would have to stop or take a different route. HGV and busses brushing hedges and trees also reduces the need for teams of people to be sent out to cut them back - or at least that's the impression I get.

Where I live, Id feel safer with a raccoon behind the wheel. Every morning commute is a dance with death. My roommate was rear ended 3 times in his first two months here.

CWatters said:
In England we have a lot of roads like the one in this video I wonder how driverless cars will deal with the situation that occurs at just after 7min30. The camera is in a large truck/HGV..

The HGV is also scrapping the bushes on either side. Would a driverless HGV allow that? Would there be a setting that allowed the passenger to adjust how aggressively the HGV pushes through overhanging vegetation?

I think in general everything (or almost) is programmable, or ... manual mode.
In the video's case: [Driver to sdc:] "At least let me do the talking! ... and please don't worry about the bushes."
(That should do it.)

FactChecker said:

Not much there to consider if the self driving cars can function in winter.
I think they have a goodly lot more testing to do for a confidence level to be impressive.
A 3d map? - complete updates minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day, month to month - the landscape can change.
The landscape maps most likely do not have mountains of pushed and dumped snow 15 feet high either.
Or the 2 to 4 foot high plowed bank by the side of the road.
Does, or will, a self driving car know how to rock itself out of a parking spot after sitting there overnight - the steering wheel and pedal less ones may have a problem. Just yesterday
Will it have to clean the snow of the hood, headlights, tail lights, or will that have to be the passengers responsibility.
Windshield washer fluid check.
Wiper blade freeze up - may not need these two, but passengers do like to gawk at all the other drivers.
I am sure? that the shoveling and pushing will be a thing of the past after a foot snowfall with a self driving.

Will your self-driving car decide to kill you if its algorithms are forced to chose between, say, driving off a cliff or into a crowd of people?

BWV said:
Will your self-driving car decide to kill you if its algorithms are forced to chose between, say, driving off a cliff or into a crowd of people?
Depends on the program

Stavros Kiri said:
Depends on the program
The program called "Thelma & Louise" is especially bad that way.

Likes Stavros Kiri
BWV said:
The best way to answer this question is answering this one:

While driving a car, would you decide to kill yourself if you are forced to chose between, say, driving off a cliff or into a crowd of people?

Likes Stavros Kiri
Back