Do you like the new crackpot policy?

• Thread starter chroot
  • Start date
In summary, the staff of the physics forum feels that the new "no-crackpot" policy has been a success. The people who like the site better before the policy was implemented are largely the same people whose behavior we were trying to change, so, overall, the staff feels the policy has been successful. However, there is one mystery that is known only to the "devil" himself and that is why you lock them up. Even if these theories are wrong, and don't weigh up to mount everest, why lock them up? Give people the freedom to

Do you like the new Theory Development policy?

• The site is better without TD.

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • The site was better with TD.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never thought TD really belonged on this site.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • A site like this needs a TD section.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • I always thought TD was an eyesore; a very negative part of the site.

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • I always thought TD was a very positive part of the site.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I used to post my personal theories here, and miss the ability.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I used to respond to personal theory posts, and miss the ability.

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Garth said:
There seems to be no problem at the moment in kicking obviously 'crackpot' ideas into TD - so by applying the two criteria above why should there be a problem kicking them from a 'maverick' to a 'crackpot' Forum?
Hmm, seems to me the consensus is that TD is not welcome at PF, it takes too much of the moderators' time, and lowers PF's 'brand value'.

Let's try this Garth - if you were given the job of being the maverick gatekeeper (I'm not saying you should, or shouldn't, just doing a 'thought experiment'), how do you think you'd feel about it? After reviewing the 200th piece of nonsense (but written up really, really well, with beautifully formatted formulae in LaTeX, etc) ... the 2000th? At a rate of at least 10 a day?? Wouldn't you begin to tire? To wish that you had more time to do exciting and interesting things (like work on SCC, debate with Chronos and Nereid about ZPE and Dark Matter, ...)? Don't forget that not all nonsense comes nicely packaged in clear GR terms (what if the nonsense is about a field of physics that you're not so familiar with?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay I give in - but I leave the suggestion as a thought just in case...

Garth

Thanks Nereid for the support. I'm afraid Venus is a bit "cold" :biggrin: at the moment and that may even be so literally, when its core is concerned.

So far negative results for publication volunteers So I "mavericked" another one here.

If so, I may have ruined the objective of a few foundations finding that answer.

Garth said:
So which Forum do you think is suitable for discussing theories such as "Self Creation Cosmology" or studies on "circadian rhythms. "?
Garth

I don't know what Self Creation Cosmology is about, so couldn't tell you if or where it fits, but circadian rhythms most definitely can be, and has been, discussed in the biology forum.

But, my overall argument, which may or may not be the opinion of anyone else here in case I haven't made that clear, is that recent peer-reviewed publications of theories that challenge more mainstream theories can and should be included within the forum that is most appropriate for it (perhaps in the forum in which the theory it is challenging is being discussed, or in the General Physics or General Discussion forums, though General Discussion may not get it the appropriate amount of respect and seriousness of answers). It doesn't make sense to toss threads on legitimate, though controversial, theories into a catch-all bin where they get lost within mounds of pseudoscience and crackpottery. It seems a reasonable cut-off point for deciding whether to leave something up for discussion or delete the thread would be if the theory is not published in a peer-reviewed publication, or if it is not published at all. With this criterion, sure, you'll kick out some legitimate new ideas that someone may be working on pre-publication (though we don't really get many of those), but you'll also have an easy litmus test to ditch people's pet theories (which may not be entirely crackpotish, but could just be weakly constructed) and crackpot posts.

Ultimately, I think we all must defer the decision to the admins and mentors. If this is a forum they don't want to babysit anymore, and that's what it sounds like the spend a lot of time doing there, and the admins don't think it contributes to what they envision as the mission of this site, then it's their decision to make.

Thank you Moonbear. Any discussion of SCC I shall post to the General Astronomy and Cosmology, or the Special and General Relativity Forums. Which is where I posted them in the first place!

Garth

Garth said:
Okay I give in - but I leave the suggestion as a thought just in case...

Garth
But Garth, I don't want you to 'give in' :cry: If what I write is nonsense, say so; if my ideas are off base - esp if there's empirical data to show I'm off base - go ahead and beat me to a pulp! If there's a way to make a 'maverick's board' work, spell it out. Anything that helps PF on it path to world conquest and domination is most welcome.

OTOH, if you feel that the practical difficulties of implementing (good) suggestions such as yours appear daunting, if not insurmountable, please acknowledge the merits of the case ... don't just 'give in'. :!) :eek:

Zapper's and CrankFan's posts (as well as the discussion on Galileo) have got me thinking ... where should I start a thread on the history of controversial ideas in science? For example, neutron stars today are part of standard astrophysics, but Eddington had such trouble with Chandrasekhar's work (and the latter such respect for the former) that Chandra dropped what he was doing on this for a long time (fortunately, Chandra didn't give up entirely, and Eddington was gracious - or smart? - enough to concede he'd been wrong).

For the avoidance of doubt, Chandrasekhar was most assuredly NOT a crackpot, and he had no difficulty 'doing' astrophysics; this example does NOT meet Zapper's challenge. Indeed, if any 'crackpot' could show just 1% of Chandrasekhar's facility with basic physics, my guess is that we'd all be astonished.

Nereid said:
Zapper's and CrankFan's posts (as well as the discussion on Galileo) have got me thinking ... where should I start a thread on the history of controversial ideas in science? For example, neutron stars today are part of standard astrophysics, but Eddington had such trouble with Chandrasekhar's work (and the latter such respect for the former) that Chandra dropped what he was doing on this for a long time (fortunately, Chandra didn't give up entirely, and Eddington was gracious - or smart? - enough to concede he'd been wrong).

For the avoidance of doubt, Chandrasekhar was most assuredly NOT a crackpot, and he had no difficulty 'doing' astrophysics; this example does NOT meet Zapper's challenge. Indeed, if any 'crackpot' could show just 1% of Chandrasekhar's facility with basic physics, my guess is that we'd all be astonished.

Chandrasekhar also had his ideas published in several peer-reviewed journals, which also conform to my first "law", that being for any ideas or discovery to make any significant contribution to physics, it must first of all appear in a peer-reviewed journal.

It might be insightful if everyone reads the essay by Dan Koshland in the Nov. 25th issue of Nature titled "Crazy, but correct". He detailed his trials and tribulations in trying to introduce an idea that clearly contradicts the accepted understanding at that time. Pay attention to the kind of skepticism he encounted, and what he actually did (getting published in lesser-known journals, but getting published nevertheless). In fact, a quote from this essay deserves some space here:

The existence of multiple journals provides the final safeguard against too much conservatism and is the ultimate reason that science is more receptive to non-conformity than any other segment of our society.

If dubious report such as the Podkletnov effect, table-top fusion via sonoluminescence, and even Pons-Fleishman's cold fusion managed to appear in lesser-known peer-reviewed journal, there is zero excuse for anyone complaining that their ideas are being prevented from appearing in such journals due to our refusal to acknowledge "crazy" ideas. More likely, these ideas could not appear in such journals not because they are "crazy", but rather they hold no credibility. This is a painful realization to face for most crackpots, so it is a whole lot more reassuring to simply turn it around and accuse the "establishement's" inherent refusal to look at new ideas.

Zz.

Is this a crackpot post? If we apply Zapper's criterion (peer-reviewed publication), it seems it would be.

Nereid said:
Zapper's and CrankFan's posts (as well as the discussion on Galileo) have got me thinking ...

Apologies if I've caused any serious alarm. I'm for the most part indifferent about where, how, what and why people post. I'm about 50% student and learner and 50% crank-troll, but I do enjoy and support PF. It's a wonderful website.

I don't have many standards of decency, being a Crank Fan and all, but I thought it was reasonable to ask the question that I asked since the poster I was responding to suggested that crackpots frequently contribute to the intellectual enterprise. It seems like some people may have felt that I consider any controversial yet not-obviously-wrong claim to be crackpot; not so.

Regarding your latest question IMO I don't think individual posts are crackpot, I think characters become crackpot when they repeatedly deny or ignore known results. Anyone can make a mistake, but will they learn from it when presented with many correct arguments to the contrary ?

For example, this guy was a crackpot! https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=31836

Nereid said:
Is this a crackpot post? If we apply Zapper's criterion (peer-reviewed publication), it seems it would be.

Although turbo-1 provides no mathematical discussion for 'ZPE Field Polarization', nevertheless the fact that he suggests new experiments merits consideration. If these were to be carried out and found to yield non-GR results then that would be something and should result in new physics. The new theory so obtained may then of course not be 'ZPE Field Polarization' but may well have some relationship to it.

I would have thought that in this example there ought to be a Forum (not TD) to discuss it. So how about such a Forum? One for non-orthodox theories and ideas that can be described as 'reasonable' physics either because they have already been published in peer-reviewed journals (arXiv hardly counts), or because they propose reasonable new experiments?

BTW Nereid I would never
- go ahead and beat me to a pulp!
o:) and I haven't given up!

Garth

Last edited:
Lama was one of Doron Shadmi's incarnations, if you look at any internet bulletin board with a science or maths section the chances are you will find Doron.

Garth said:
Although turbo-1 provides no mathematical discussion for 'ZPE Field Polarization', nevertheless the fact that he suggests new experiments merits consideration. If these were to be carried out and found to yield non-GR results then that would be something and should result in new physics. The new theory so obtained may then of course not be 'ZPE Field Polarization' but may well have some relationship to it.

Do you not see any difference between suggestions of new experiments being done legitimately in peer-reviewed journals, and the one made in that posting? Do you honestly not see any difference here?

If I were refereeing this type of "suggestions", I'd throw it out immediately. It makes ZERO citations to base any of the theoretical claims made. But more importantly, it makes ZERO quantitative predictions, either in terms of the "trend" of a set of data, or even orders-of-magnitude quantities. Hand-waving predictions are NOT considered to be valid suggestions for "new experiments". If I make my statements vague enough, I can claim validity with anything!

I'm sorry, but after all this, I still am not terribly impressed by every one of these so-called possibly legitimate "new theories". If these are the best of the examples for why we should continue to have a TD-like forum for such things, then I feel no loss (to me personally and to physics in general) in not having any of them at all.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Do you not see any difference between suggestions of new experiments being done legitimately in peer-reviewed journals, and the one made in that posting? Do you honestly not see any difference here?

If I were refereeing this type of "suggestions", I'd throw it out immediately. It makes ZERO citations to base any of the theoretical claims made. But more importantly, it makes ZERO quantitative predictions, either in terms of the "trend" of a set of data, or even orders-of-magnitude quantities. Hand-waving predictions are NOT considered to be valid suggestions for "new experiments". If I make my statements vague enough, I can claim validity with anything!
Zz: Of course there is a substantial difference between the "suggestions of new experiments being done legitimately in peer-reviewed journals, and the one made in that posting" However at this point we are not in a peer-reviewed journal and as it is important to test standard theories in new ways, it would be good to discuss such ideas to see whether they can be brought up to a required standard or whether they fall by the wayside. I would have thought a physics coffee lounge, or failing that these Forums, would make a good place for that discussion and criticism to take place.
ZapperZ said:
I'm sorry, but after all this, I still am not terribly impressed by every one of these so-called possibly legitimate "new theories". If these are the best of the examples for why we should continue to have a TD-like forum for such things, then I feel no loss (to me personally and to physics in general) in not having any of them at all.
Zz.
As well as keeping an open mind towards other heterodox theories such as MOND, have you considered a theory that does appear in peer reviewed journals (Gen Relativ Gravit. and Astrophysics and Space Science), that has 46 other author citations in peer reviewed journals, that does make precise predictions, both in the standard tests where it is concordant with observation and that also makes future predictions, one of which is being tested at the moment by GPB, Self Creation Cosmology?
I really would appreciate your sharp criticisms.

Garth

Last edited:
Garth said:
Zz: Of course there is a substantial difference between the "suggestions of new experiments being done legitimately in peer-reviewed journals, and the one made in that posting" However at this point we are not in a peer-reviewed journal and as it is important to test standard theories in new ways, it would be good to discuss such ideas to see whether they can be brought up to a required standard or whether they fall by the wayside. I would have thought a physics coffee lounge, or failing that these Forums, would make a good place for that discussion and criticism to take place.

There is value in "physics coffee lounge" discussion, but this one isn't it. There has to be some sort of back-of-the-envelope type calculations to at the very least come up with what I have already mentioned: order-of-magnitude estimation. That discussion you cited offered NONE. One cannot even BEGIN to design an experiment because there are NO experiment that has an infinite range of detection. Without even knowing where to look and when to look, no experiment is possible to be designed, so forget even to know what to look.

I don't expect peer-reviewed typed caliber, but I thought we have a higher standard than those found on Crank Dot Net.

As well as keeping an open mind towards other heterodox theories such as MOND, have you considered a theory that does appear in peer reviewed journals (Gen Relativ Gravit. and Astrophysics and Space Science), that has 46 other author citations in peer reviewed journals, that does make precise predictions, both in the standard tests where it is concordant with observation and that also makes future predictions, one of which is being tested at the moment by GPB, Self Creation Cosmology?
I really would appreciate your sharp criticisms.

Garth

Is there a reason you are obsessed with promoting this? I mean, at every turn, without fail, you try to push this into the discussion.

If I offer to make a critical review of this paper, you should stop paying any credibility to what I say. This is because, anyone who has followed anything I have to say would know that this isn't my area of expertise. Unlike other quacks, even though I am trained as a physicist, I would never want to claim anything other than a superficial knowledge of this area of physics. You want someone who is an expert in this field. I suggest contacting them.

Zz.

To be honest, I think more regulation needs to performed. There should probably be additional mentors. The politics and philosophy forums are particularly bad. They are maintained at a standard well below that of the rest of the site, simply because the volume of bad posts is such that it is impossible for the existing mentors to adequately restrain. I am very glad for the measures taken thus far to ensure a better quality of post and poster, but I'd like to see more.

loseyourname said:
To be honest, I think more regulation needs to performed. There should probably be additional mentors. The politics and philosophy forums are particularly bad. They are maintained at a standard well below that of the rest of the site, simply because the volume of bad posts is such that it is impossible for the existing mentors to adequately restrain. I am very glad for the measures taken thus far to ensure a better quality of post and poster, but I'd like to see more.

Maybe you could get Greg to replace one of the Mentors with you, or sign you on as a philosophy consultant.

Last edited:
Les Sleeth said:
Maybe you could get Greg to replace one of the Mentors with you, or sign you on as a philosophy consultant.

I doubt my knowledge of philosophy is enough to qualify me as a consultant, but I'd be more than glad to help with the cleanup. The consistent argumentation (as opposed to debate or discussion) shown by so many posters bothers me to no end.

ZapperZ said:
Is there a reason you are obsessed with promoting this? I mean, at every turn, without fail, you try to push this into the discussion.
Zz.
Zz I brought SCC in here because it fulfills your stated criteria of a subject to be discussed in a suitable Forum, which is on topic for this thread. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be such a Forum in PF.

Thank you for declaring the limits of your expertise, there are other members of PF who are qualified to sharply criticize cosmological theory and I would value their criticisms. Nevertheless given your criticism above of turbo-1's suggested experiments I would also value a similar discussion with you on the three definitive experiments suggested by SCC.

Garth

Last edited:
Garth said:
Zz I brought SCC in here because it fulfills your stated criteria of a subject to be discussed in a suitable Forum, which is on topic for this thread. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be such a Forum in PF.

Look, the Podkletnov effect also appeared in a peer-reviewed journal (Physica B, and I think it was in 1994 or something). However, other than a discussion of what has been accomplished, and NOT accomplished so far, I would consider any extension to the "theoretical aspect" of this dubious "discovery" as quackery. Why? Because even after years and years of trying to duplicate the effect, and million and millions of dollars being spent (both by NASA and other private institutions), we get ZILCH! Therefore, the original premise that the effect is real has NOT, and so far cannot, be established. In fact, may physicists have publically discounted such effect. This means that any theoretical proposal being brought up is essentially a theory of non-existing phenomenon!

Thus, someone who comes in here, wanting to discuss a theory of the Podkletnov effect can also claim "Look, it appeared in a peer-reviewed journal!" However, it doesn't mean it is still a valid idea or discovery. My first law in requiring that it must first appear in a peer-reviewed journal is the necessary but not sufficient criteria. Before one can even be a candidate to be valid, it MUST first appear in a peer-reviewed journal, or else it is not worth the time to even be looked at. Period!

What you haven't done, or at least I haven't noticed, is show evidence that this thing that you are pushing is actually being taken seriously by the experts in the field. Are the proponents of such ideas being invited to various places and conferences to present them? Are they continually publishing such ideas in respected journals? etc.. etc. I can easily show you that those people who believed in the Podkletnov effect are NOT being invited anywhere to sell their stuff (refer to the upcoming APS March Meeting 2005 abstract listing). In other words, what possible reason is this thing worth considering here, of all places, if it is dead in the water elsewhere?

Thank you for declaring the limits of your expertise, there are other members of PF who are qualified to sharply criticize cosmological theory and I would value their criticisms. Nevertheless given your criticism above of turbo-1's suggested experiments I would also value a similar discussion with you on the three definitive experiments suggested by SCC.

Garth

I wouldn't know.

Zz.

Garth said:

If the subject relates to cosmological theory, why would it not fit within the astronomy and cosmology forum? Again, I don't know the science behind SCC, but if it's something credible, then it seems there is an existing forum to discuss it.

I have to agree with ZapperZ regarding publication in peer-reviewed journals being a minimum criteria. I know in my own field, things get published that are just plain wrong, and quickly get buried in dusty, bound volumes of journals. When you read old literature, or even current literature, you have to ask two questions to judge its merit: 1) Was it the best they could do with technology available at the time it was published? 2) Is it still consistent with the best we can do now giving the technology currently available? Often you can find examples that fit criterion #1, and were worthy of publication in their time, but do not fit criterion #2, and have been dismissed and disproven since then. To develop a new theory based on literature that only fits criterion #1 and not #2 would lead to that theory immediately being dismissed.

I can give you an interesting example: I reviewed a manuscript some time ago that had a title stating something was true that was never directly tested, and I happened to have sitting on my desk at the time data that completely disproved the idea. There were other major flaws in the paper, in my opinion, so I recommened rejection of the paper with comments such as that the conclusions don't follow from the data. A few months later, I was doing a lit search and came upon the paper, published in a lesser known journal, one that is somewhat known in the field as a last resort journal...maybe one paper every few issues presents something that's interesting and just didn't cleanly fit with the topics included in better known journals, but generally, it's a crappy journal. They had changed very little from the version I saw. I have not published the contradictory evidence, though have presented it at conferences (it would be premature for me to publish it because it's part of a much larger study that will all be bundled together into one paper if I can overcome some significant technical issues that have stalled going further with this work for now). So, there is stuff in the peer-reviewed literature that is wrong if you trust the conclusions of the authors, which means it is not a guarantee that just because something is published, it isn't wrong. Bad science does slip through the cracks, especially when people continue to resubmit to various journals until the luck of the draw gives them a set of reviewers who are not sufficiently experts on a topic to find the major flaws.

Moonbear & Zz - thank you for your comments. I understand, I had thought that such controversy could have been aired in a thread dedicated to that purpose on PF.

Garth

Last edited:
Well, now that we've moved on from the (broad?) consensus on 'crackpots', we're now into serious (?) discussion of 'fringe' work ('maverick' as Garth put it).

If I hadn't been out for ~ 4 weeks, I'd've likely missed this ... it seems that PF is moving at a pretty astonishing speed!

From my own POV, the last few posts in this thread are beginning to get to 'what is science?', its myths and the realities ... things that were explored by Popper (a philosopher, not a scientist ... apparently he didn't look very closely at what scientists actually do!), Kuhn (he of 'paradigm' fame), Lakatos (my favourite - there's a totally delightful book he wrote on maths), and Feyerabend (rather too wild for my taste).

But, in the spirit of science (hi Crank Fan!), I humbly submit that we here at PF do have a modest source of moderately good data which we can use to test our ideas ... the ~1400 TD threads!

On an interesting note sometimes refutations do work!

Here's a reply from a currnet thread in general physics where poster has had the problems with his idea explained:

hey, yeah, srry bout that, and yes, you are correct, I have very little training in physics, just a few books and such, so srry bout that.

I didn't get to vote in the poll, but I probably would have voted "A site like this needs a TD section. "

I definitely see the downsides of having the section, as it wastes unnecessary resources, but sometimes the posts were amusing. In rare cases, people who responded to those posts taught the posters a lesson and they learned the real scientific theory behind their crackpot posts.

yxgao said:
I didn't get to vote in the poll, but I probably would have voted "A site like this needs a TD section. "

I definitely see the downsides of having the section, as it wastes unnecessary resources, but sometimes the posts were amusing. In rare cases, people who responded to those posts taught the posters a lesson and they learned the real scientific theory behind their crackpot posts.

Those "rare" cases are not worth the wasted unnecessary resources.

Zz.

Yes, and the resources include human resources. During the worst of it (in PF's earlier days, when there weren't so many science gurus around) I spent most of my time in TD out of a sense of duty. I got sick of it and almost left for good. The one or two good ideas that may come out of TD aren't worth the headaches. And anyway if the ideas are really that good, then they can be posted in the regular scientific forums.

yxgao said:
In rare cases, people who responded to those posts taught the posters a lesson and they learned the real scientific theory behind their crackpot posts.
More than that, it provides the opportunity for others to learn from the crackpot's mistakes. Yes, we are aware of that benefit in TD (we debated it for some time), but decided that it wasn't worth the effort.

Thanks for your feedback.

russ_watters said:
More than that, it provides the opportunity for others to learn from the crackpot's mistakes. Yes, we are aware of that benefit in TD (we debated it for some time), but decided that it wasn't worth the effort.

Thanks for your feedback.

Actually, that advantage of the TD forum remains so long as the threads are archived. Just about mistake that a crackpot can make has been made in one thread or another and anyone who wishes to learn from these mistakes can peruse and absorb.

loseyourname said:
Actually, that advantage of the TD forum remains so long as the threads are archived. Just about mistake that a crackpot can make has been made in one thread or another and anyone who wishes to learn from these mistakes can peruse and absorb.
Interesting. Perhaps PF could sponsor a 'crackpot' night event.. say once a week or once a month. I think that would be a lot of fun. Quarantine the controversial posts, sift and sort out the dumb/repetitive ones, then let the fur fly and close the dang thing after a few hours.

Last edited:
Chronos said:
Interesting. Perhaps PF could sponsor a 'crackpot' night event.. say once a week or once a month. I think that would be a lot of fun. Quarantine the controversial posts, sift and sort out the dumb/repetitive ones, then let the fur fly and close the dang thing after a few hours.

Brilliant ! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Chronos said:

Wow! Somewhat like a public stoning. I hear those used to be very popular events; the whole town would show up for them! :eek:

Moonbear said:
Wow! Somewhat like a public stoning. I hear those used to be very popular events; the whole town would show up for them! :eek:
Yep, these were family events.
After all, kids should learn at an early age that crime&nonsense don't pay off!

A solution to the DSE, True or Flase?

Chronos said:

"The basic element of quantum theory is the double-slit experiment. It is a phenomenon which is impossible, absolutely impossible to explain in any classical way and which has in it the heart of quantum mechanics. In reality it contains the only mystery ... the basic peculiarities of all quantum mechanics." Richard Feynman

How many quantum wells can I place between the electron gun and the double slits, in the DSE, without affecting to outcome of the expertment?

Stone me...or bring me to my senses, if you can.

I have spoken, meet and corresponded to some of greatest minds in physics, every agrees the theory is correct, but they will not express an option of whether my interpretation is a valid solution to the DSE, or not.

Regards

Terry Giblin

You guys, I just want you to know I got a kick out of reading this thread! There were some hilarious comments.

Well, Ide like to say that if crackpots are posting their ideas in areas of the Physicsforums they shouldn't be posting at, then why not keep TD for a trashcan of Crackpot ideas? Then slap an advisory for everyone about the TD board. I looked into TD long while back and really it was horrifying. I am still a student and to see crackpot ideas in TD just kills me. I first thought that TD was a place for serious researchers, whereas I could gain an insight on unflawed scientific methodical use of ideal theory development. I should of known that wasn't the case. I kind of doubt researchers would post there work in TD anyways. The existence of crackpots came clear quickly after looking in TD. As a student I was unaware of the existence of the term crackpot until I simply found the TheoryDevelopment board of the Physicsforums.

If you completely erradicate TD, the crackpots are simply going to post in legitimate boards of PF. This will lead to banning, then will lead for that banned person to create another account. Leave the TD board and screw the crackpots. Just leave them be in there own little flawed universe in the TD trashcan of crackpot ideas. Maintain the integrity of Science in your legitimate boards. Do not Maintain the integrity of Science in TD for it is a hassle and exhausting. Unless you have fun breaking those crackpot ideas into pieces.

I would like for the erradication of TD, however we can assume those crackpots who love posting those crackpot ideas will post their crackpot ideas in a board of the Physicsforums that isn't for crackpot theories. Simply this, if a crackpot believes he has found a way to teleport using a banana, let him believe this and go on to educating those on the works of Bell's Theorem and Quantum Teleportation in the Quantum Mechanics board. The crackpot will soon find that, his ideas are worthless and flawed to begin with. If they dont, wait until they go to college to see if they can make that "A" in a University Physics course. Or if there not in College and out of High School, either tell them to get a life or go to College and seek help from a professor. Or last alternative, tell them to start buying books and do lots of reading, which many of them will not do.

I end my post with this statement. If most of those crackpot ideas in TD were true, we would be colonizing Mars or colonizing other habitable planets of distant stars right now. Or the main transportation today would be teleportation. Crackpots tend come up with there crackpot ideas because it is easy for them to do so. That is why there are so many crackpot ideas. In reality, Serious theory development with the scientific method applied is much more difficult.

Last edited: