Does a Resistor Affect Current in a Circuit?

In summary, the conversation centers around understanding how a resistor in a circuit affects the current. It is stated that as the resistance of a circuit increases, the current passing through it decreases, and vice versa. The question is raised about why exactly this happens, and it is suggested that the current may not actually change. The conversation also mentions that resistors are made using high-resistivity materials.
lha08

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand how does a resistor in a circuit affect the current...like this is what I'm getting...when the resistance of a circuit increases, the current passing through it decreases? And its the same for the opposite; as the resistance decreases, there is more current passing through it...Is this right? Like I can't really picture why exactly this happens. Like i though that the particles don't lose charge as they pass through the resistor, just potential energy, but how does it affect current...??
Maybe the current does not change?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Resistors are simply made using high-resistivity materials.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ResistorAlso this thread does not belong here, it belongs in the appropriate physics/engineering forum.

Related to Does a Resistor Affect Current in a Circuit?

1. What is current?

Current is the flow of electrical charge through a conductor. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I".

2. How is current related to voltage?

Current and voltage are directly proportional to each other according to Ohm's Law. This means that as voltage increases, current will also increase proportionally, and vice versa.

3. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of an object's ability to resist the flow of electrical current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol "R".

4. How is resistance related to current?

Resistance and current are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as resistance increases, current will decrease, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, where resistance (R) equals voltage (V) divided by current (I).

5. What factors affect resistance?

There are several factors that can affect resistance, including the material of the conductor, its length and cross-sectional area, and temperature. Materials with higher resistivity (such as rubber) will have a higher resistance than materials with lower resistivity (such as copper). Longer conductors will have a higher resistance than shorter ones, and thinner conductors will have a higher resistance than thicker ones. Additionally, resistance increases with temperature for most conductors.