Does Aluminum Allodine 1200 Outgas in High Vacuum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of chromate conversion film on aluminum and its effects in high vacuum conditions. It is noted that the film has high corrosion resistance and is not recommended to be left unfinished. However, it is also mentioned that it contains hexavalent chromium, and there is limited information on its use in high vacuum applications. It is suggested to consider alternative surface film treatments if corrosion resistance is not needed.
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a question: does anyone know whether the aluminum surface treatment Allodine 1200 can give rise to outgassing when used in high vacuum conditions ? As I understand it, it is a chemical deposition of CrO3 on the Al surface.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Chromate conversion film on aluminum has very high corrosion resistance - e.g., salt spray resistance (provides 300+ hours resistance - ASTM-B117 I think), and in normal applications it is not recommended to be left unfinished. And yes, it is hexavalent Chromium.

I've never seen anything on chromate conversion films and high vacuum applications.
Unless you need corrosion resistant aluminum, consider another surface film treatment.

The MIL specs I deal with do not list anything except the application at low temps is not recommended. I'll hit up some of our materials folks to see if they know of anything about vacuum conditions.

By the way, Type II conversion coating does not contain hexavalent chromium, Type I does.

Related to Does Aluminum Allodine 1200 Outgas in High Vacuum?

1. What is Aluminum Allodine 1200?

Aluminum Allodine 1200 is a chemical treatment used to protect aluminum surfaces from corrosion. It is also known as chromate conversion coating or chromate conversion coating.

2. What is outgassing?

Outgassing is the release of gases or vapors from a material, usually due to increased temperature or vacuum conditions. This can be a concern in scientific experiments as it can affect the accuracy and cleanliness of the environment.

3. Why is outgassing a concern in high vacuum?

In high vacuum conditions, there is very little air or gas present, so any outgassing from materials can significantly affect the purity of the environment. This can be a problem for sensitive scientific equipment that requires a clean and controlled environment.

4. Does Aluminum Allodine 1200 outgas in high vacuum?

Yes, Aluminum Allodine 1200 does outgas in high vacuum. It is a chemical treatment and can release gases at elevated temperatures or under vacuum conditions.

5. How can outgassing from Aluminum Allodine 1200 be reduced?

Outgassing from Aluminum Allodine 1200 can be reduced by baking the material at high temperatures before use. This process drives out any trapped gases and reduces the potential for outgassing in a high vacuum environment.