Does Bell's Theorem Disprove Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses Bell's theorem and its implications for the measurement of correlation A\otimes B and A\otimes B'. It is stated that QM only provides probabilities of results, so the results could be different for the two measurements. The concept of selection and rearranging is explored, but it is determined that it is not possible to achieve Bell's theorem. Two citations by Bill are mentioned, but they are deemed inappropriate and should be disregarded. The conversation ends with a warning for Bill to stop discussing the matter.
jk22
Hi all,

in Bell's theorem we consider the measurement of correlation [itex]A\otimes B[/itex] and [itex]A\otimes B'[/itex]

Then the theorem states that the "result" for A in both quantities is the same. But does QM not only gives probabilities of the result, hence the result could be in principle different for the measurement with the A operator in those 2 correlation, so that no factorization is possible for the result of measurement ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The distributions for A are the same, and you can select measurements with specific results at A afterwards if you like.

I thought about selection and rearranging, but I could not achieve to get Bell's theorem : suppose the S value is

S=AB-A1B'+A'B1+A'1B'1

suppose we fix the A datas, since the datas have same length and have the same average, we can rearrange A1 so that A=A1

but if we rearrange A1 we rearranged B' because the datas are in couples (else we change the value of the correlation), now B'1 should be rearranged like B', so that we rearranged A'1

Since A'1=A' we shall rearrange B1, but then B1=B we should rearrange A which contradicts the hypothesis, so we never get AB-AB'+A'B+A'B' with the respective equivalence of the results.

jk22 said:
I thought about selection and rearranging, but I could not achieve to get Bell's theorem : suppose the S value is

S=AB-A1B'+A'B1+A'1B'1

suppose we fix the A datas, since the datas have same length and have the same average, we can rearrange A1 so that A=A1

but if we rearrange A1 we rearranged B' because the datas are in couples (else we change the value of the correlation), now B'1 should be rearranged like B', so that we rearranged A'1

Since A'1=A' we shall rearrange B1, but then B1=B we should rearrange A which contradicts the hypothesis, so we never get AB-AB'+A'B+A'B' with the respective equivalence of the results.

You can find similar observations in :
"What's wrong with this rebuttal,"Found. Phys. Lett. 19 (6) 625-629 (2006). http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0604124 (see section IV)

and
"Bell's inequalities I: An explanation for their experimental violation" Optics Communications 170 (1999) 55-60
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0101087

Both of the above citations by Bill are inappropriate and should be disregarded. They do not meet forum guidelines.

Bill, please stop now or I will report you for the Nth time. I won't argue with you further on this matter.

DrChinese said:
Both of the above citations by Bill are inappropriate and should be disregarded. They do not meet forum guidelines.
This is false.

Closed for moderation

Related to Does Bell's Theorem Disprove Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is Bell's theorem?

Bell's theorem is a concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible for any physical theory to reproduce all of the predictions of quantum mechanics without allowing for some form of non-locality.

2. Who came up with Bell's theorem?

John Stewart Bell, an Irish physicist, first proposed Bell's theorem in 1964 in response to the EPR paradox, a thought experiment created by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen.

3. How does Bell's theorem relate to quantum entanglement?

Bell's theorem is often used to explain the phenomenon of quantum entanglement, which is when two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances.

4. What are the implications of Bell's theorem?

Bell's theorem has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality and the underlying principles of quantum mechanics. It suggests that either our understanding of locality, causality, or realism is incomplete, or that there are hidden variables at play that we do not yet understand.

5. How has Bell's theorem been tested and confirmed?

Several experiments have been conducted to test the predictions of Bell's theorem, including the Aspect experiment in 1982 and the CHSH inequality test in 2015. These experiments have shown that the predictions of quantum mechanics are correct and that some form of non-locality must exist in our universe.