Does Centripetal Acceleration Increase Kinetic Energy in a Mass Spectrometer?

In summary, in a mass spectrometer, a particle will first pass through an accelerometer to pick up speed and then enter the upper chamber where it will curve in circular motion due to the magnetic force acting on it. The magnetic force does not change the particle's kinetic energy, but synchrotron radiation may cause a slight decrease in energy. The particle's velocity will remain constant in magnitude, but its direction will change, resulting in radial acceleration. Overall, the starting kinetic energy will be the same as the final kinetic energy, not accounting for any energy losses.
sbuckstein
I understand that in a mass spectrometer, a particle will first pass through an accelerometer to pick up speed (presumably starting from rest).
Let's say you have an electron starting from rest being passed through a difference of 1000V, it should have a kinetic energy of 1000eV right before it enters the mass spectrometer.
Once it is in the upper chamber, where there is no electric force to counteract the magnetic force, it will curve in circular motion. Does it acquire additional KE due to the centripetal acceleration? Or is it just a change of direction? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The engineering answer is that its kinetic energy is not changed by the magnetic force (which acts perpendicular to its velocity at all times). But rigorously speaking the kinetic energy will be lessened slightly, owing to the synchrotron radiation emitted by any charged particle that accelerates, regardless of whether that acceleration is parallel to the velocity or perpendicular to it.

Yeah I figured there would be some sort of energy loss but this is a simple problem that assumes no losses anywhere. Thank you very much. Although I don't quite understand, if it is experiencing a force, it will experience acceleration, therefore increased velocity. Increased velocity should give it more KE because the mass is constant. No?

It's important to bear in mind that there are two kinds of acceleration: radial and longitudinal. Your thinking is correct for longitudinal acceleration, where the magnitude of the object's velocity is changing in time. In the case of radial acceleration, the velocity vector's direction changes in time, but its magnitude remains constant in time. This is typically the case of a particle that travels in a circle with constant speed (and KE). Somewhat amazingly, Newton's 2nd law, F=ma, applies to both types of acceleration. But the applied force does no work when it acts perpendicular to the object's velocity.

There are many type of mass spectrometers, it is a general term. I spent over 14 years designing control, pulsing, HV circuits for all different mass spectrometers! Only one I designed had magnetic lens which I think is what you refer to. Mostly we deflected the ions into circular path by electrostatic lens only.

Last edited:
yungman, that is very interesting, but not relevant. I am clearly talking about a situation that DOES use magnetism.
GRDixon, thanks for your help. So let me get this straight, since v and B are orthogonal, the cross product is 90 degrees to both of them, giving rise to the circular motion. The magnetic force is changing the direction only, not the velocity? Therefore, the starting KE is the final KE (once again, ignoring the energy loss).

Correct. P.S. yungman: Thanks for the info. I must confess I thought that mass spectrometers all used magnetic lensing.

Thanks

sbuckstein said:
Although I don't quite understand, if it is experiencing a force, it will experience acceleration, therefore increased velocity.
Not necessarily. An acceleration simply means a change in the velocity. That could mean either an increase or decrease in velocity, or a change in the direction of the velocity.

Related to Does Centripetal Acceleration Increase Kinetic Energy in a Mass Spectrometer?

1. What is a mass spectrometer?

A mass spectrometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the mass and relative abundance of atoms and molecules in a sample. It works by ionizing the sample and then separating the ions based on their mass-to-charge ratio.

2. How does a mass spectrometer work?

A mass spectrometer works by first ionizing a sample, usually through electron ionization or electrospray ionization. The ions are then accelerated and passed through a series of electric and magnetic fields, which deflect them based on their mass-to-charge ratio. The resulting ions are then detected and recorded, creating a mass spectrum of the sample.

3. What are the applications of mass spectrometry?

Mass spectrometry has a wide range of applications, including drug discovery, environmental analysis, forensic science, and protein sequencing. It is also commonly used in chemistry and physics research to study the composition and structure of molecules.

4. What are some common problems encountered with mass spectrometers?

Some common problems with mass spectrometers include instrument contamination, incorrect calibration, and signal interference. Other issues can arise from sample preparation, ionization efficiency, and data analysis.

5. How can mass spectrometer problems be solved?

The specific steps for solving a mass spectrometer problem will depend on the issue at hand. However, some general troubleshooting tips include checking instrument settings, ensuring proper sample preparation, and troubleshooting any software or hardware malfunctions. In some cases, consulting an expert or performing maintenance on the instrument may be necessary.

Back