Does melting deteriorate the crystalline order?

• Thread starter Si14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Melting
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of melting and recrystallization on the crystalline properties and order of a solid. While melting can change the properties of a solid, recrystallization can sometimes improve its purity and order. However, the impact of temperature and other factors on the crystalline form must also be considered.
Si14
I wonder if melting deteriorate the crystalline properties and order of a solid?
For example, one should expect to get 2 different Raman spectra from the solid and melted samples?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you mean recrystallization rather than melting - obviously the molten (liquid) phase has very different properties! As for whether a recrystallized substance has different properties, that'd depend entirely on the substance, (and whether it has several phases, for instance), the original state and if the recrystallization conditions match the original crystallization conditions etc.

But recrystallization does not at all necessarily degrade the crystal. Often the contrary, which I'd almost have expected you to have known, with that username: The high-purity monocrystalline silicon used in solid-state applications is purified by repeatedly melting it! (Zone melting, which works through the fact that the impurities have a higher solubility in the liquid phase)

Si14 said:
I wonder if melting deteriorate the crystalline properties and order of a solid?
For example, one should expect to get 2 different Raman spectra from the solid and melted samples?

Well, if it is in a melted form then this is clearly different than the crystalline form. However, at the macroscopic level most crystals are not one big repeating single crystal. Rather, it is made of millions of small microscopic domains of aligned repeating unit cells that are randomly oriented. Often we refer to these crystals as "powders" even though they may be a hard chunk of whatever. Thus, a powder is isotropic in a very similar way as a liquid. A major distinction though would be that elastic powder peaks due to Bragg scattering would disappear upon melting and inelastic excitations would no longer be lattice dependent. Let alone the fact that a major shift in temperature will typically have considerable impact on measured spectra, regardless of the crystalline form. Especially when the temperature approaches the energy scale of the coupling energies driving the order in the system.

BANG!

alxm said:
I suppose you mean recrystallization rather than melting

Good point. I expect you meant recrystallized, not still melted. alxm covers this interpretation of the orginal post well so I won't add much, except to say that quite often crystal growers begin by forming a sintered powder then they melt and cool this powder back down so as to get a single crystal. This is actually quite difficult and typically require high specialized ovens such as a floating zone furnace.

BANG!

Related to Does melting deteriorate the crystalline order?

1. What is the definition of crystalline order?

Crystalline order refers to the regular and repeating arrangement of atoms or molecules in a solid material. This arrangement gives crystals their distinct shape and properties.

2. How does melting affect the crystalline order of a material?

When a solid material is melted, the thermal energy causes the atoms or molecules to vibrate more vigorously, breaking the bonds that hold them in a fixed position. This disrupts the regular arrangement of the crystalline structure and leads to a loss of crystalline order.

3. Can melting cause irreversible damage to the crystalline order?

In most cases, melting does not permanently damage the crystalline order of a material. When the material cools and solidifies, the atoms or molecules can rearrange themselves into a new crystalline structure. However, repeated melting and cooling cycles can lead to defects and imperfections in the crystal lattice, which can affect the material's properties.

4. Are there any materials that do not experience a loss of crystalline order when melted?

Yes, some materials, such as glass, do not have a crystalline structure and therefore do not experience a loss of crystalline order when melted. Instead, they transition from a rigid solid to a viscous liquid state.

5. Can the crystalline order be restored after melting?

In some cases, the crystalline order can be restored after melting through a process called recrystallization. This involves heating the material to a specific temperature and allowing it to cool slowly, which allows the atoms or molecules to form a new, more organized crystalline structure. However, this process is not always possible or practical, and the material may retain some defects or imperfections in its crystalline order.