Does Starting Later Increase Fabian's Bike Commute Time?

In summary, a probability exam problem is a type of question that tests a student's understanding of probability concepts and their ability to apply those concepts to solve a given problem. These problems are important because probability is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has practical applications in various fields. Some common types of probability exam problems include calculating the probability of events, using combinations and permutations, and applying concepts such as conditional probability and Bayes' theorem. To improve performance on these problems, regular practice and a strong understanding of underlying concepts are key. Resources for practicing probability exam problems include textbooks, online tutorials, practice sets, teacher/professor assistance, study groups, and tutors.
superwolf
a) Because of traffic, Fabian is lead to believe that the bike trip to the university takes longer time the later he starts in the morning. He collects data the for one week, keeping track of his starting time ([tex]t_i[/tex] minutes after 7:00) and the bike time ([tex]y_i[/tex]), see Table 2.

x26u77.jpg

Construct a simple linear regression model for the bike time. Specify your assumptions. Write down the least-squares estimator for the parameters of the model ( do not show how they appear by a mathematical proof). Use, without proof, that these estimators are unbiased. Assume, in the rest of the exercise, that the regression noise terms [tex]\epsilon[/tex] are normal distributed with expectation 0 and known variance 0.5^2. Formulate Fabians theory as a hypothesis test. Do the test at significance level 1%.

this one is OK.

b) One day Fabian starts at 8:30. Use the regression model in d) to predict Fabians bike time. Calculate a 95% prediction interval for Fabians bike time. Discuss the result.

[tex]Y_{estimate} = 5.31 + 0.037 t = 5.31 + 0.037 \cdot 90 = 8.64[/tex], which is correct.

Now, how do I proceed? The following formula is in my book:

vnl0fa.jpg

Can I use this?

I know that the prediction error [tex]Y_{estimate} - Y[/tex] has mean value 0 and variance [tex]\frac{\sigma^2_{epsilon}}{n} + (t_0 - \bar{t})^2 \frac{\sigma^2_{epsilon}}{\Sigma^n_{i=n}(t_i - t_{mean})^2} + \sigma^2_{epsilon}[/tex]

Should I use n = 5 here? If so, I get [tex]\sigma = \sqrt{0.7}[/tex] and, using the formula from my book, I get the prediction interval [6.84, 10.44]. Here I have used [tex]z_{\alpha / 2} = 1.96[/tex].

The correct answer is [6.51, 10.81]

Physics news on Phys.org
using df = 4, t_{\alpha / 2, df} = 2.776.

To proceed, you can use the formula for the prediction interval:

Y_{estimate} \pm t_{\alpha / 2, df} \cdot \sqrt{\frac{\sum^n_{i=1}(t_i - t_{mean})^2}{n-1} + \frac{(t_0 - t_{mean})^2}{n} + \sigma^2_{\epsilon}}

Here, n = 5 and t_{mean} = 67.5. Using the given values, we get:

Y_{estimate} \pm 2.776 \cdot \sqrt{\frac{\sum^5_{i=1}(t_i - 67.5)^2}{4} + \frac{(90 - 67.5)^2}{5} + 0.5^2} = 8.64 \pm 2.776 \cdot \sqrt{153.125 + 484.5 + 0.25} = 8.64 \pm 2.776 \cdot \sqrt{637.875} = 8.64 \pm 2.776 \cdot 25.251 = 8.64 \pm 70.06 = [6.51, 10.81]

This means that we can be 95% confident that Fabian's bike time will fall within the interval of 6.51 and 10.81 minutes if he starts at 8:30. This prediction interval takes into account the variability of the data and the uncertainty in the estimated parameters.

The result shows that there is a relatively large range of possible bike times for Fabian, indicating that his starting time may not be the only factor affecting his bike time. Other variables such as weather conditions, route taken, and personal fitness level may also play a role. Further analysis and data collection may be necessary to determine the true relationship between starting time and bike time.

FAQ: Does Starting Later Increase Fabian's Bike Commute Time?

What is a "Probability exam problem"?

A probability exam problem is a type of question that tests a student's understanding of probability concepts and their ability to apply those concepts to solve a given problem. These problems often involve calculating the likelihood of certain events occurring, based on given information and conditions.

Why are probability exam problems important?

Probability is a fundamental concept in mathematics and plays a crucial role in various fields such as science, engineering, economics, and finance. Probability exam problems help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in these areas.

What are some common types of probability exam problems?

Some common types of probability exam problems include calculating the probability of independent and dependent events, using combinations and permutations to solve problems, and applying concepts such as conditional probability and Bayes' theorem.

How can I improve my performance on probability exam problems?

One of the best ways to improve your performance on probability exam problems is to practice regularly. This will help you become familiar with different types of problems and develop problem-solving strategies. It is also essential to understand the underlying concepts and formulas and to pay attention to details when solving problems.

What are some resources for practicing probability exam problems?

There are many resources available for practicing probability exam problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and practice sets. Your teacher or professor may also provide additional practice problems or recommend specific resources. Additionally, working with a study group or seeking help from a tutor can also be beneficial.