Does the EM field arise from the Kalb-Ramond field?

p78653
As I understand it all string theories have the following bosonic fields: the metric ##G_{\mu\nu}##, the Kalb-Ramond gauge field ##B_{\mu\nu}## and the dilaton field ##\Phi##.

Is it true that the electromagnetic field arises from components of the Kalb-Ramond field ##B_{\mu\nu}## where ##\mu## is one of the large dimensions of 4D spacetime and ##\nu## is one of the compactified dimensions?

Likes arivero
Physics news on Phys.org
It has been a while for me, but first of all: why do you think this? Do you have any reference?

The electromagnetic field is part of the standard model, a Yang Mills theory. To obtain such a theory from string theory one usually uses coincident D-branes, on which open strings give U(N) gauge theories. This means that if you quantize open strings on a single D-brane, you obtain photon states; see e.g. Zwiebach 15.2, where it is motivated that these photon states indeed "live" on the world volume of the D-brane and hence give electromagnetic interactions. The connection between Maxwell's theory and the Kalb-Ramond field is not clear to me, but as I said, it has been a while.