Does Torque Transform Like a Vector in Different Coordinate Systems?

• Thread starter realmadrid070
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem involves finding the transformation matrix between two coordinate systems, C and C′, where C′ is obtained by reflecting C in the plane x2 = 0 and rotating C through a right angle about the axis OB, where B is the point with coordinates (2, 2, 1). The task is to find the new coordinates of the point D in C′, given its coordinates in C, and to show that the moment (or torque) of a given force about D, OD × F, transforms like a vector. The latter requires an explicit calculation, but the exact method is unclear.
realmadrid070
Problem: Find the transformation matrix between the coordinate systems C and C′ when C′ is obtained
i) by reflecting C in the plane x2 = 0
ii) by rotating C through a right angle about the axis OB, where B is the point with coordinates (2, 2, 1).

In each case, find the new coordinates of the point D whose coordinates in C are (3, -3, 0).

iii) Consider the force F = (1, -3, 2) in the system C, and the trans-
formation i) above. Show, by explicit calculation, that the moment (or torque) of the force about the point D above, OD × F , transforms like a vector.

Attempt at solution: I have no problem with any part of the problem except iii). I guess I just don't understand what it means to transform like a vector. I was thinking that I had to evaluate the cross product and then perform an arbitrary rotation about an arbitrary axis, and show that its magnitude is preserved, but that algebra gets incredibly messy. I think this is pretty simple, I just need to get a finger on what exactly I'm supposed to show.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi realmadrid070! welcome to pf! :smile:
realmadrid070 said:
iii) Consider the force F = (1, -3, 2) in the system C, and the trans-
formation i) above. Show, by explicit calculation, that the moment (or torque) of the force about the point D above, OD × F , transforms like a vector.

I was thinking that I had to evaluate the cross product and then perform an arbitrary rotation about an arbitrary axis, and show that its magnitude is preserved, but that algebra gets incredibly messy.

i'm pretty sure you're not meant to do that, it just isn't consistent with the rest of the question, and in particular with the "explicit calcualation" instruction

but I've no idea what they do want :confused:

to make things worse, a moment (or any cross product ) isn't a vector anyway … it's a pseudovector, which "goes the wrong way" compared with vectors when you reflect it (as in operation (i))! :redface:

Related to Does Torque Transform Like a Vector in Different Coordinate Systems?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents both magnitude and direction. It can be used to describe physical quantities like displacement, velocity, and force.

2. How does one "transform like a vector"?

To transform like a vector means to change in both magnitude and direction. This can be done through various mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, scaling, and rotation.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a mathematical object that represents only magnitude, while a vector represents both magnitude and direction. Scalars can be added or multiplied by other scalars, but vectors must follow specific rules when adding, subtracting, or multiplying with other vectors.

4. Can any quantity be represented as a vector?

No, not all quantities can be represented as vectors. Only quantities that have a magnitude and direction can be represented as vectors. Examples of such quantities include velocity, acceleration, and force.

5. How are vectors used in physics?

Vectors are widely used in physics to describe and analyze physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and force. They are also used in vector calculus to solve problems related to motion, electromagnetism, and other areas of physics.