Does undergrad curriculum effect graduate admissions?

In summary, the speaker plans to transfer to a University in Illinois within the year to complete their Physics degree. They have compared the classes of various universities and have found that the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) stands out the most due to its required classes in Instrumentation Lab, Computational Physics, Computational Science, and an interprofessional project. These classes are not included in the curriculum of other universities, eliminating the need for the speaker to pursue a minor in Computer Science. However, IIT does not offer many scientific minors. The speaker wonders if taking these extra classes will increase their chances of getting into a better university compared to attending UIUC. They also plan to do internships and research to further distinguish themselves.
Dauden
I'll be transferring to a University within the year to finish my Physics Degree. I've compared the classes of several universities in Illinois (UIUC, UIC, IIT to name a few) and the one that stands out the most is IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology, not Indian :P ).

They have a required Instrumentation Lab, Computational Physics, Computational Science, and an interprofessional project. They also have the standard Advanced Physics Labs 1 and 2 that many universities have. These classes aren't in the curriculum of the other universities I have looked at. This also gets rid of some of the need to get a Computer Science Minor, which I was planning on getting. IIT doesn't offer many scientific minors for some reason though sadly.

Will having those extra classes up my chances to get into a better university than if I went to UIUC or something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm also planning on doing a few internships and some research, so that should help me stand out as well.

Related to Does undergrad curriculum effect graduate admissions?

1. How important is the undergraduate curriculum for graduate admissions?

The undergraduate curriculum is an important factor in graduate admissions, but it is not the only factor. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores.

2. Will a more rigorous undergraduate curriculum increase my chances of getting into graduate school?

A more rigorous undergraduate curriculum can demonstrate your academic ability and potential to succeed in graduate school. However, it is not the only determining factor and a well-rounded application is important.

3. Does the reputation of the undergraduate institution affect graduate admissions?

The reputation of the undergraduate institution can play a role in graduate admissions. Admissions committees may be familiar with the academic rigor and quality of education at certain institutions, but they also take into consideration the individual achievements and potential of each applicant.

4. Can a lower GPA in a challenging undergraduate curriculum hurt my chances of getting into graduate school?

A lower GPA in a challenging undergraduate curriculum may not necessarily hurt your chances of getting into graduate school. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores. A lower GPA can be offset by excelling in other areas.

5. Is it necessary to have relevant coursework in my undergraduate curriculum for the graduate program I am applying to?

Having relevant coursework in your undergraduate curriculum can demonstrate your interest and preparation for the graduate program. However, it is not always necessary and admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience and letters of recommendation.