Domination property of integrals

In summary, to prove that 2√2 ≤ ∫(from 0 to 1) (√x+8) dx ≤ 3, we can use the property of integrals which states that if m ≤ f(x) ≤ M on the interval [a,b], then m(b-a) ≤ ∫(from a to b) f(x) dx ≤ M(b-a). We can find m and M by considering the smallest and largest values of the integrand function on the given interval. This involves approximating the integral with two rectangles and finding the areas of those rectangles.
mathkillsalot

Homework Statement

prove that

2√2 <= ∫(from 0 to 1) (√x+8) dx <= 3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well...my only idea on how to solve this would be to evaluate the middle term, but my prof says it's not allowed. Do I just assign functions to the left and right numbers??

if yes, do I just grab them from out of nowhere?

please help...don't know where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't tell what your integral is. This is what you wrote:
[tex]\int_0^1 (\sqrt{x} + 8)~dx[/tex]

Did you mean this?
[tex]\int_0^1 \sqrt{x + 8}~dx[/tex]

Whichever integral it is, the integrand is an increasing function, so its smallest function value will be at the left endpoint of the interval, and the largest function value will be at the right endpoint.

I would start by approximating the integral by using two rectangles, one whose area is smaller than that under the integrand function, and one whose area is larger than that under the integrand functions.

Think about this property of integrals:

If m ≤ f(x) ≤ M on [a,b] then

[tex]m(b-a) \le \int_a^b f(x)\, dx \le M(b-a)[/tex]

Mark44 said:
I can't tell what your integral is. This is what you wrote:
[tex]\int_0^1 (\sqrt{x} + 8)~dx[/tex]

Did you mean this?
[tex]\int_0^1 \sqrt{x + 8}~dx[/tex]

I meant the second one :)) x+8 under the sqrt sign

okaaay. Wait, I'll try to use the solution you suggested. Not quite sure if I can do it, thanks for the help :))

LCKurtz said:
Think about this property of integrals:

If m ≤ f(x) ≤ M on [a,b] then

[tex]m(b-a) \le \int_a^b f(x)\, dx \le M(b-a)[/tex]

hmm...I'm sorry, I don't really get how that could help, could you please elaborate?? :)) I'm not really good at this

That's a theorem which places the value of the definite integral (which has the significance of an area under the graph of a continuous function on the interval [a,b]) between the areas of 2 rectangles.

To use it, you must find m and M. Who are they equal to ?

FAQ: Domination property of integrals

What is the domination property of integrals?

The domination property of integrals states that if two functions, f(x) and g(x), are defined on the same interval and f(x) is always greater than or equal to g(x) on that interval, then the integral of f(x) will be greater than or equal to the integral of g(x) on that interval.

How is the domination property of integrals used in mathematics?

The domination property of integrals is used to compare the size of two integrals and determine which one is larger. It is also used in proving inequalities and evaluating definite integrals.

What are some examples of functions that satisfy the domination property of integrals?

Some examples include polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. For instance, the integral of x^2 is always greater than or equal to the integral of x on any interval where x is positive.

Can the domination property of integrals be extended to improper integrals?

Yes, the domination property can be applied to improper integrals as well. If the two functions satisfy the domination property on a proper interval and the improper integral of f(x) converges, then the improper integral of g(x) will also converge and will be less than or equal to the integral of f(x).

Are there any limitations to the domination property of integrals?

Yes, the domination property only applies to integrals on a finite interval. It cannot be used for infinite intervals or integrals involving discontinuous functions. Additionally, it does not hold true for Riemann-Stieltjes integrals, which involve a different type of integration.