Donald Trump Running for President

• News
  • Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Running
In summary: Donald Trump is nothing more than a carnival barker who is stoking his ego and engaging in the type of shameless self-promotion that has been his gimmick over the years (no doubt enhancing his visibility and thus his bottom line along the way). There is no chance whatsoever that Mr. Trump can possibly win the nomination or else be elected President, and I'm surprised that anyone takes this man or his run for the nomination seriously.
DiracPool said:
I think you'd have to admit that Megyn Kelly was "baiting" Trump with those questions. Again, I'm not a huge fan of Trump, but I think he showed admirable restraint in the face of what I'd call a sucker-punch attack.

Trump is a big boy. Shame on Trump, assuming he used the words Megyn quoted, for crying 'unfair'. This is just a warm up, nothing compared to the mis characterizations that will come from the 'mess media'. Putin, radical terrorists and Kim Jong-Il, to name a few others, by that standard of 'unfair, would be off the charts. So far anything Trump has said has offended me loads less than did "redistribution'. Now THAT's scary!

On the other hand, if people previously thought Reagan might pull the nuclear trigger, what might foreign bad guys think about Trump? Do you think they would [a] try to goad him into a launch, be especially deferential fearing an outburst, or [c] refuse to even meet the guy for fear of being outmaneuvered?
[Sorry for the boldface...can't get rid it.]

Physics news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
There are two separate issues in that, though both are essentially that you are looking at the issues backwards:

1. You don't get to build Presidential candidates to order: you pick from the menu. In my view, the vast majority are the "nice fraud" variety.

2. You don't get to tell people what they are and aren't offended by: people get to decide for themselves. And some people simply will not accept negativity, no matter how nicely the message is dressed.

Both of these issues appear to me to be at play with Trump. To a person (like me) sick and tired of an endless stream of "nice frauds", an "honest a-hole" is a breath of fresh air. So I like his attitude: but he's got no substance and that's why I don't see him as a serious candidate. But others with unfocused/unthought anger might support him until the issues catch-up with him. At the same time, the media frenzy is based on attacking Trump for anything and everything they can get their hands on. Controversy sells newspapers (well...banner ads), so they love it and play it up.

For right now, these two sides are in a positive feedback-loop with each other.

I agree with your first point, but on the 2nd, if you look at the situation at the right level of generality, there are significant commonalities to people's psychological make up, e.., everyone wants to save face , everyone wants to be heard, etc. You just need to adapt these ideas to the situation at hand in the right way.

William White said:
But some people will always take offense; however slight the provocation.

That is the problem - there ARE ways of being constructive - and it has resulted in political correct behaviour.

Frankly, I don't care if people are offended, I'm in this camp
http://i.imgur.com/84yvB5p.jpg

Yes, well, you cannot have a guarantee of something that will work all the time, but you can try to maximize the odds of having a positive communication. And, no, there is a clear difference between the trite, wishy-washy messages and methods of PC and the methods of crucial conversations; the two are not equivalent.

Likes Rintintin
WWGD said:
Yes, well, you cannot have a guarantee of something that will work all the time, but you can try to maximize the odds of having a positive communication. And, no, there is a clear difference between the trite, wishy-washy messages and methods of PC and the methods of crucial conversations; the two are not equivalent.
yes, but one leads to the other - this is not an opinion - it is an observation of what I have seen in my lifetime.

Especially if you are trying NOT to offend the greatest number of people.

what you think is wishy washy, other people think is polite

Finny said:
<Snip>

On the other hand, if people previously thought Reagan might pull the nuclear trigger, what might foreign bad guys think about Trump? Do you think they would [a] try to goad him into a launch, be especially deferential fearing an outburst, or [c] refuse to even meet the guy for fear of being outmaneuvered?
[Sorry for the boldface...can't get rid it.]

Do you want to experiment and find out what they will do? In this area I prefer to stick to what has worked (albeit not that greatly all the time) in this respect, this is not an area in which I like to take risks.

WWGD said:
I agree with your first point, but on the 2nd, if you look at the situation at the right level of generality, there are significant commonalities to people's psychological make up, e.., everyone wants to save face , everyone wants to be heard, etc. You just need to adapt these ideas to the situation at hand in the right way.
But no matter what you do without destroying the message, it won't be successful all the time. And as they say, the squeaky wheel gets mic'd up by the media.

William White said:
yes, but one leads to the other - this is not an opinion - it is an observation of what I have seen in my lifetime.

Especially if you are trying NOT to offend the greatest number of people.

what you think is wishy washy, other people think is polite
Well, PC , AFAIK, has no actual theoretical basis to support it; in this respect it I mushy and wishy-washy. The other methods do at least have a foundation (which one may disagree with) based on commonalities in human psychology at the "right level of generality". It is a skill, and not an easy one to acquire, and it takes a long time to become really good at it: address actual issues in a way that you do not make the other party defensive, do your best to allow them to save face and keep their dignity intact, etc. This is a general methodology to be adapted to the situation at hand.

russ_watters said:
But no matter what you do without destroying the message, it won't be successful all the time. And as they say, the squeaky wheel gets mic'd up by the media.

No matter what you do, there is no guarantee on anything working all the time. Your best bet is optimizing. And , yes, we do have a dysfunctional system, which will remain so for a while, and , definitely this has to be taken into account. I don't live in la-la land of make believe.

Finny said:
On the other hand, if people previously thought Reagan might pull the nuclear trigger, what might foreign bad guys think about Trump? Do you think they would [a] try to goad him into a launch

And this is exactly the reason that Trump will never become president. As "colorful" as he is, most Americans don't want a hot head in the white house, me included. I don't think a summit meeting with Putin or the Chinese premier ending with Trump saying "YOU'RE FIRED," is going to go over very well with the American public.

WWGD said:
because it is just not necessary to be offensive if you have the right skills (which I don't ).

I'm not advocating this, but when you can get the other person upset, they are thrown off guard. Those who are insecure, maybe personally, maybe because they don't have facts to back up their positions, are especially easy to disarm in such a way.

William White said:
there ARE ways of being constructive - and it has resulted in political correct behaviour.

I know what you intended here, I think, but I do not see politically correct behavior as constructive. It's basically ridiculous. Politically correct behavior seems to cater to any class of the aggrieved who might be offended even though they hold an untenable position.

Perhaps the greatest: Al Sharpton. Has he interviewed Trump?? THAT would be a hoot. I'd even watch MSNBC or wherever he resides.

russ_watters said:
the vast majority are the "nice fraud" variety.

so true. so sad. Shame there are so many politicians in politics.

WWGD said:
No matter what you do, there is no guarantee on anything working all the time. Your best bet is optimizing.
Of course, but that's not the point of PC. PC shuts off the message completely, because that IS the one/only way to be 100% sure you won't offend anyone.
And , yes, we do have a dysfunctional system, which will remain so for a while, and , definitely this has to be taken into account. I don't live in la-la land of make believe.
Well, with all do respect, your focus on optimizing the message misses the point, so I'm not sure you recognize the existence of the problem being discussed.

DiracPool said:
And this is exactly the reason that Trump will never become president. As "colorful" as he is, most Americans don't want a hot head in the white house, me included. I don't think a summit meeting with Putin or the Chinese premier ending with Trump saying "YOU'RE FIRED," is going to go over very well with the American public.

Hopefully people will realize that choosing someone only on the basis that "my enemy's (mainstream) enemy (Trump) is my friend".

russ_watters said:
Of course, but that's not the point of PC. PC shuts off the message completely, because that IS the one/only way to be 100% sure you won't offend anyone.

Well, with all do respect, your focus on optimizing the message misses the point, so I'm not sure you recognize the existence of the problem being discussed.

Do you mean the prevalence of PC? EDIT :I reallyhave no idea of what you mean here. Have I endorsed
or argued in favor of PC? No, I suggested an alternative to the two extremes, while acknowledging that a full implementation in the short run ( if at all) was not plausible. So please explain what you mean here, because I am pretty confused.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
All else being equal though, I'd rather have an honest a-hole than a nice fraud.

First of all, I don't think the word "nice" would apply to many of the Republican presidential candidates -- certainly not to the likes of Chris Christie, Ted Cruz, or Rick Santorum, at any rate.

Second, Donald Trump is certainly an a-hole, but "honest" isn't really accurate -- uninhibited and boorish most definitely, but I still contend (as I have from the beginning) that his entire presidential run is an act of dishonesty since I don't believe that he is seriously interested in becoming president of the US, but is using this run to stoke his ego and resort in the shameless self-promotion that drums up new business for him.

BTW, I completely agree with you that Trump also has no substance as a political candidate.

Likes Rintintin
Trump is easily provoked into rants, which is perhaps what Kelly was trying to do: poke the lion and see how long it takes before it roars. If Trump can't seem to swallow comments about his hair, I think he's revealing a weakness that opponents should be capitalizing on. Playing the victim card is usually a sign of desperation and/or emotional immaturity.

I prefer a President to display composure and be able to assert themselves with factual counter-arguments that are devoid of histrionic rhetoric or knee-jerk, sweeping insults1. I find it hard to believe that he actually cares what people think about his hair, in which case the professional and honest response would be, "I really don't care what people think about my hair." If he actually does care about what people say about his hair, then I'm not sure which scenario is worse.

1 Diplomacy is important, especially with other nations. One doesn't have to be an a-hole to avoid being weak.

Good grief...I post a humorous comment about Trump/Reagan being perceived as too volatile...
and look what pops up next...
proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fassets.patriotpost.us%2Fimages%2F2015-08-10-1d2f3310_large.jpg

WWGD said:
Do you mean the prevalence of PC?
I mean the meaning/in practice result of PC; what is required of us. You're saying that if you optimize your language properly, you can say anything. I disagree: I think some subjects are just plain off limits. "All lives matter", for example: not allowed to say it.

Likes mheslep
russ_watters said:
I mean the meaning/in practice result of PC; what is required of us. You're saying that if you optimize your language properly, you can say anything. I disagree: I think some subjects are just plain off limits. "All lives matter", for example: not allowed to say it.

No, my claim is that the method I suggest will allow you to address the highest possible number of delicate topics. It was designed with this goal in mind. I can only attest that I have been able to communicate more effectively when I have used it, and I am pretty far from being an expert on the field. So, while you may not be able to address just any topic, you will likely be able to constructively address more with this method than with the two other extremes I don't have any actual data to back this up, but, believe me, I do not live a charmed life in an illusory world; I have been unemployed for a long while, fought with my landlords , etc. Not to cry you a river, just to point out that I am not just quoting a book

WWGD said:
No, my claim is that the method I suggest will allow you to address the highest possible number of delicate topics. It was designed with this goal in mind. I can only attest that I have been able to communicate more effectively when I have used it, and I am pretty far from being an expert on the field. So, while you may not be able to address just any topic, you will likely be able to constructively address more with this method than with the two other extremes...
[Emphasis added]
Fair enough. I get that that's true, but I consider the bolded part to be a really big problem for a society that supposedly values free speech/political discourse.

Likes Dembadon
russ_watters said:
Fair enough. I get that that's true, but I consider the bolded part to be a really big problem for a society that supposedly values free speech/political discourse.
Totally agree. Hey, we agreed on one thing. And it only took around 500 back-and-forth posts. High five!

Likes russ_watters
russ_watters said:
I disagree: I think some subjects are just plain off limits. "All lives matter", for example: not allowed to say it.

well, it should be off limits, if only because it is trite and meaningless platitude.

William White said:
well, it should be off limits, if only because it is trite and meaningless platitude.
Whether one agrees or disagrees (and I disagree) that it is a trite and meaningless platitude, no one should be shouted-down and forced to apologize for saying it.

russ_watters said:
Whether one agrees or disagrees (and I disagree) that it is a trite and meaningless platitude, no one should be shouted-down and forced to apologize for saying it.

well, you favour the death penalty, so not ALL lives matter; just the ones you think are worthy.

That's why its a platitude. People all around the world are dying in the most horrible circumstances and due to injustice and we don't really care. Their lives don't matter a bit to us. They certainly don't matter if it means an inconvenience in our lives.Nobody should be shouted down for saying something? WHY? If you want freedom to voice something, you got to give freedom to those with a voice that want to shout you down. Its not a one way street.

Forced to apologise. Who is doing the forcing and to whom?

William White said:
well, you favour the death penalty, so not ALL lives matter; just the ones you think are worthy.
Well, that's not only not true, but it is also not relevant (a misrepresentation in the opposite direction). That's part of the problem with such PC: people make assumptions about what others think, while shouting them down, instead of listening to what they actually believe.
Nobody should be shouted down for saying something? WHY? If you want freedom to voice something, you got to give freedom to those with a voice that want to shout you down. Its not a one way street.
That is a one-way street, only allowing the one with the loudest voice to speak. That's exactly the problem! It makes discourse impossible!
The details of this particular incidents with this slogan are here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-disrupted-by-black-lives-matter-protesters/
and here:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/18/politics/bernie-sanders-netroots-nation-black-lives-matter/

We've gone WAAAY off topic here, let's get back to discussing Trump, or is this thread over? I can split off all of the off topic posts into a free for all thread if you want.

Let's try to be an example and
William White said:

That's why its a platitude. People all around the world are dying in the most horrible circumstances and due to injustice and we don't really care. Their lives don't matter a bit to us. They certainly don't matter if it means an inconvenience in our lives.Nobody should be shouted down for saying something? WHY? If you want freedom to voice something, you got to give freedom to those with a voice that want to shout you down. Its not a one way street.

Still, if you want to go beyond getting things out of your system, find a way of optimizing the odds of the other party listening to you. Believe me, I am no saint and I feel
like insulting plenty of people, and have done so. But at some point it comes down to deciding whether you just want to vent out or if you want to find a way of communicating constructively with those you disagree with, which may feel about your beliefs the same way you do about theirs. So, what does you getting angry and your ideological opponents getting angry get you? You both raise your guards and refuse to even consider the other's view. So, do you want the comfort of being right , trashing your opponents and having the problem persist, or do you want to find a way to talk while maintaining your dignity , which will give you , while not a guarantee of results, a higher probability of finding solutions than just fighting your opponents.

Again, I am not preaching, I feel the same way you do, but ultimately you (same goes for me ) whether we want to vent out or we want to find a solution.

Likes Rintintin
PM me and we'll vote on splitting off the off topic posts into another thread where you can discuss whatever it is you are discussing. Russ, do you have a suggestion for a thread title? You can post here Russ if you want.

Interesting comments in the associated interview with Erick Erickson, Editor-in-Chief of RedState.com.
As Trump pushes ahead with an establishment-bucking campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, the real estate developer and former reality TV star's decidedly unconventional approach to politics includes forgoing — so far — any substantive discussion of public policy.

http://news.yahoo.com/trumps-policy-approach-mystery-amid-lack-detail-071738128--election.html

According to NBC News/Survey Monkey Poll Aug 7-2

Trump is at 23%
Ted Cruz, 13%
Ben Carson, 11%
Carly Fiorina, 8%
Marco Rubio, 8%

In the article:
Ex-Trump adviser Roger Stone, who quit the campaign over the weekend (Trump maintains he fired him) is said to have clashed with others on Trump's team over the lack of specifics offered by the campaign. Among other frustrations was the fact that a detailed job creation plan, along with issue papers on other major topics inspired by the candidate, had been left to sit on the shelf, unreleased, according to two people familiar with the campaign dynamics, who spoke independently to the AP on the condition of anonymity to avoid clashing with Trump.

Meanwhile - Steven Colbert is lighting candles for Donald Trump.
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/stephen-colbert-cbs-tca-late-show-jon-stewart-126382808900.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems no one wishes to continue the off topic arguments, so the Donald Trump Thread is open for discussion of Trump.

Evo said:
It seems no one wishes to continue the off topic arguments, so the Donald Trump Thread is open for discussion of Trump.
Ugh! What a depressing topic. How about something more cheerful like assisted suicide?

Likes Evo
Trump says he'll release policy specifics soon
http://news.yahoo.com/donald-trump-returns-fox-news-flap-112901449--election.html
It was Trump's first appearance as a presidential candidate in Michigan, where he decried China's decision to devalue its currency and Ford Motor Co.'s planned $2.5 billion investment in Mexico. He told reporters in Birch Run, north of Flint, that he would announce policy specifics over the next two weeks, but cautioned: "You really have to be flexible on jobs and everything else."
At his appearance in Michigan, I didn't hear any substantive policy statements. OK, so Carl Icahn is a great negotiator, deal-maker and apparent friend, and Trump suggested that Icahn could handle Japan and China, ostensibly as an ambassador. What is the policy on trade?

So we wait.

Meanwhile - an interesting article in The Atlantic by Conor Friedersdorf
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...umps-rise-fox-news-reaps-what-it-sows/400973/
I’d watched the debate. For most of it, I thought that Donald Trump would emerge as popular as ever: I don’t understand his appeal, but his performance was completely in keeping with the style and substance of his campaign to that point. Why did the handpicked Republicans disagree? Had I been in the room with them, I’d have asked, “If you came here as a Donald Trump supporter, how could you possibly be disappointed by tonight’s anger, bombast, blatant question-skirting, and a lack of specifics? When have you known the man to act differently?”

Meanwhile, hasn’t Fox News spent years conditioning viewers to believe that journalists belong to a condescending class of decadent elites which engages in barely-concealed conspiracies to destroy anyone who tells it like it is to real Americans? For years, Roger Ailes broadcast everything that Glenn Beck wrote on a chalk board! Surveying America for individuals whose insights he would broadcast to the masses, he settled on Sarah Palin as a person whose analysis he would amplify. It is no accident that a chunk of the Fox News audience is now inclined to side with Trump over Kelly. With Trump’s rise, the network is reaping what it has sown.
Basically, FOX news is experiencing 'blowback'.

I agree with Friedersdorf's assessment of Trump
Trump is unfit to be president because he has no experience in government; because he cynically stokes xenophobia for political gain; because he has given voters every reason to believe that he would put his own selfish interests above the country’s interests; because he has demonstrated no firm grasp of public policy in any area; and because his boastfulness, bombast, and petty insults are signs of insecurity, not confidence. It would be dangerous to put such an apparently insecure man in a position of power.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm inclined to think Trump running for office is a GOP ploy to remove scrutiny from all the other candidates. He's such a clown he takes all the spotlight away from the problems the GOP has to deal with in their never ending contradictions to just about every issue. all the polls showing Trump with a lead are polled from 748-1100 GOP leaning people they don't bother stating which district they polled because that small a sample is unlikely to be over more than one or two districts much less across states.

Does Trump know anything about national security?

bballwaterboy said:
Does Trump know anything about national security?

Not Much if anything. he has a business background so he has to have some clue as to basic security but how it applies to a nation I'd be very surprised if he could form a coherent statement on it

dragoneyes001 said:
Not Much if anything. he has a business background so he has to have some clue as to basic security but how it applies to a nation I'd be very surprised if he could form a coherent statement on it

I feel like that area could do him in when the field narrows. I wonder if he could match Sarah Palin's ignorance on the subject. :cool:

What is genuinely disturbing, however, is how many people like him and actually want to see him win.

bballwaterboy said:
I feel like that area could do him in when the field narrows. I wonder if he could match Sarah Palin's ignorance on the subject. :cool:

What is genuinely disturbing, however, is how many people like him and actually want to see him win.
like i said he's a distraction from the other candidates. what's very likely to happen is some event will suddenly pop up where one candidate will show great leadership and advance in the polls passing Trump and the field will be cut down to a few runners at which point Trump will be made that persons vice presidential candidate. they will be taking his popularity and removing him from the leadership at the same time. as much as this reads like a horrible novel its likely to be how they will play it.