Drag equation using wind to create 3d graph (Again)

In summary, it is important to consider the drag force in all three dimensions and use a more precise drag equation to accurately incorporate side winds and create a 3D graph of your projectile's trajectory.
geoff.miles
Hey guys, I am back again with a drag related question, earlier I posted a thread asking how I could incorporate wind into a drag equation of sorts to create a 3d graph that shows the trajectory of a projectile.

The help I received helped me add head winds and tail winds, however I am now having problems adding side winds.

I know this will only be easy using a sphere because the cross-sectional area will be the same from any angle.

For some reason when I change the wind speed the graph completely flops sides. For example if I have a wind striking my projectile from the right, or from a 90 degree angle, at 15mph (6.7056m/s) it will show the projectile being pushed 4m to the left, however if you change the speed to 12mph it shows the projectile being pushed 2m to the right.

I don't know what to do from here. If you would like to see how the graph acts first had you can download my spreadsheet here:
http://www.2shared.com/fadmin/48841342/b473610/Drag_Spread_Sheet_Final2.ods.html

NOTE: you need openoffice to open this file, it may not work in excel because of the difference in the in-cell programing

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for providing the link to your spreadsheet. I took a look at it and it seems like you are on the right track with incorporating wind into your drag equation. However, I noticed that you are only considering the drag force in the x and y direction, but not in the z direction. This could be causing the inconsistency in your results when changing the wind speed.

To accurately incorporate side winds, you will need to consider the drag force in all three dimensions. This means adding a component for the z direction in your drag equation and taking into account the cross-sectional area of the projectile in that direction.

Additionally, it may be helpful to use a more precise drag equation that takes into account the shape and orientation of the projectile, as well as the Reynolds number. This will give you more accurate results in your 3D graph.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Drag equation using wind to create 3d graph (Again)

What is the drag equation and how is it used in creating a 3D graph using wind?

The drag equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the amount of drag, or resistance, an object experiences when moving through a fluid, such as air. It is used in creating a 3D graph by calculating the drag force at different wind speeds and plotting it against the object's velocity in a 3D coordinate system.

What factors affect the drag equation and the resulting 3D graph?

The drag equation is affected by several factors, including the object's shape, size, and surface roughness. The density and viscosity of the fluid it is moving through also play a role. Additionally, the angle of the object's motion relative to the flow of the fluid can impact the drag force and the resulting 3D graph.

How accurate is the 3D graph created using the drag equation and wind?

The accuracy of the 3D graph depends on the accuracy of the inputs used in the drag equation. If the data on wind speed and drag force is precise, the resulting graph will also be accurate. However, other factors such as turbulence and irregularities in the wind can affect the accuracy of the graph.

Can the drag equation and 3D graph be used to optimize designs for aerodynamic efficiency?

Yes, the drag equation and 3D graph can be used to optimize designs for aerodynamic efficiency. By analyzing the graph and identifying areas of high drag force, engineers can make adjustments to the design to reduce drag and increase efficiency. This is particularly useful in the development of vehicles, aircraft, and other objects that move through a fluid medium.

Are there any limitations to using the drag equation and wind to create a 3D graph?

One limitation of using the drag equation and wind to create a 3D graph is that it only considers the effects of drag on an object and does not take into account other forces such as lift or thrust. Additionally, the drag equation may not accurately predict the behavior of objects with complex shapes or in non-uniform wind conditions.