Draw Displacement Vectors: A+B | Motion Diagrams

In summary: What geometric object has zero length or size, and no direction?Look at the end of most sentences. :wink:
Sylis
For the following motion diagrams, draw an arrow to indicate the displacement vector between the initial and final positions.
a)0 is at the top right and drops off to the left gradually to 5
b)starts at 0 at the bottom right and raises up to form the maximum of a parabola and start a decent down for 2 seconds.
c)Looks like a v with 0 in the upper right hand corner going down to 3 and then up again to 6.

I'm not quite sure how to do these. I understand that vectors usually have magnitude and direction as they are vector quantities. But do I just draw an arrow from 0 to the last point with an arrow pointing at that last point? We only briefly went over vectors in our hour long lecture.

There's another problem dealing with adding vectors. I know how to do them, but the instructions are:
Draw and label the vector sum A+B.
I got the first two, but the last problem has the vectors going in opposite directions and of equal magnitude (there's no quantity given). How in the world would you draw such a thing. I mean the net force would be 0 and therefore not have a vector direction or magnitude it would just stay still. So do I just not draw anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be just me, but I am confused by your descriptions. Is there any way at all you could post the diagrams rather than describing them?

Sylis said:
For the following motion diagrams, draw an arrow to indicate the displacement vector between the initial and final positions.
a)0 is at the top right and drops off to the left gradually to 5
b)starts at 0 at the bottom right and raises up to form the maximum of a parabola and start a decent down for 2 seconds.
c)Looks like a v with 0 in the upper right hand corner going down to 3 and then up again to 6.
Problem 19, all parts are what I'm having trouble on. I figure if I can get those down 20 should come fairly easily.
IMG_20130915_104843_102_zpsc4f8c597.jpg
Sylis said:
I'm not quite sure how to do these. I understand that vectors usually have magnitude and direction as they are vector quantities. But do I just draw an arrow from 0 to the last point with an arrow pointing at that last point? We only briefly went over vectors in our hour long lecture.
There's another problem dealing with adding vectors. I know how to do them, but the instructions are:
Draw and label the vector sum A+B.
I got the first two, but the last problem has the vectors going in opposite directions and of equal magnitude (there's no quantity given). How in the world would you draw such a thing. I mean the net force would be 0 and therefore not have a vector direction or magnitude it would just stay still. So do I just not draw anything? Part C of 21 is what this question covers.
IMG_20130915_104905_769_zps8c1d11d2.jpg

I've drawn my best guesses as to what I'm to do.
I'm having a rough time doing the homework for this class as we maybe have anywhere from 30min to an hour discussion and then we jump into a lab each class. I feel it's counterproductive for a lot of things. It's hard to just cover "basic" material and then move on with life.

Sylis said:
But do I just draw an arrow from 0 to the last point with an arrow pointing at that last point?

Yes, the displacement vector is simply the vector that runs directly from the starting point to the finishing point, regardless of the path in between.

How in the world would you draw such a thing. I mean the net force would be 0 and therefore not have a vector direction or magnitude it would just stay still. So do I just not draw anything?

What geometric object has zero length or size, and no direction?

Thank you, I just came to that assumption myself about 19.

I don't know. If it has no size it shouldn't exist right? An object being pulled in opposite directions at equal force would do nothing. Maybe I'm not understanding your question. Edit: An undefined object?

I mean A+B of equal magnitude in opposite directions could be viewed as A+(-A), as the vector is in reverse direction which is what multiplying by a negative one would accomplish. So it would be 0...

Last edited:
http://mathinsight.org/site_media/image/image/vector_opposite.png
If I drew the sum of the vectors like this would that be technically correct? Or am I missing it entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
What geometric object has zero length or size, and no direction?

Hint: look at the end of most sentences. :wink:

I've never actually assigned (or had to do) a problem like that, which basically meant "draw a zero vector", so I can't swear that's what they're looking for, but that's how I'd do it. Of course, what we can actually draw is only an approximation.

I see what you're getting at there. :P

Yea it's a little confusing, especially for just starting out with vectors. But I guess a period is the best representation of signifying zero. I feel for all intents and purposes I could just leave it blank and technically be correct, but I don't think the teacher would like that very much. I guess an explanation of what is going on could help.

Thank you for your assistance. I have many more questions, but I'm trying to get through the chapter before making too many more posts.

Related to Draw Displacement Vectors: A+B | Motion Diagrams

1. What is a displacement vector in motion diagrams?

A displacement vector in motion diagrams represents the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. It includes both magnitude (distance) and direction of the object's movement.

2. How do you draw displacement vectors in motion diagrams?

To draw displacement vectors in motion diagrams, you need to first identify the initial and final positions of the object. Then, you can use an arrow to represent the magnitude and direction of the displacement. The length of the arrow should correspond to the distance traveled by the object.

3. What is the difference between displacement vectors and velocity vectors?

Displacement vectors and velocity vectors both represent the movement of an object, but they are different in terms of what they measure. Displacement vectors show the change in position of an object, while velocity vectors show the change in position over time, taking into account the speed and direction of the object's movement.

4. How can displacement vectors be used to analyze motion?

Displacement vectors are useful in analyzing motion as they provide information about the position, direction, and distance traveled by an object. They can also be used to calculate the average speed and acceleration of an object.

5. Can displacement vectors be negative?

Yes, displacement vectors can be negative. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction of the positive axis. For example, if the initial position is at 0 and the final position is at -5, the displacement vector will be -5 units in the negative direction.

Back