Drawing velocity polygon for a press mechanism

In summary, the problem is that the velocity vector of joint B should be represented as perpendicular to the radius of that gear and pointing to the right.
Archives_3
Homework Statement
Draw a velocity polygon and identify absolute and relative velocity
Relevant Equations
Velocity polygon
IMG-20230509-WA0002.jpg
Hello, I'm new to the forum, I want to ask help on this problem here, above is a press mechanism and I'm tasked to draw a velocity polygon based on this mechanism. The point of contact between the two gears is A and consider it as a swivel hinge (rotating but stay still), so I guess it's O2?

Here's my attempt

IMG-20230509-WA0003.jpg

But I feel like it doesn't quite right, if you can help me solve this problem I would be very grateful thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome, @Archives_3 !

Sorry, I don't see points A or O2 in your diagram.

Lnewqban said:
Welcome, @Archives_3 !

Sorry, I don't see points A or O2 in your diagram.
My mistake sorry, A is the point of contact between two gears. Now because the instructions that I've not put it in here says that considers A as a swivel hinge, then I assume then A becomes O2.
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-09 at 10.16.35.jpeg

Here's the picture again, I edited the A and B so to not cause confusion anymore I hope.

Thank you.
If those discontinuous lines are the meshing circles of two gears with fixed centers, I don't understand the swivel idea.
The bigger gear should have a clockwise rotation.
In that case, the velocity vector of joint B should be represented as perpendicular to the radius of that gear and pointing to the right.
That vector then determines the velocity vectors of joints C, D and E.

Lnewqban said:
Thank you.
If those discontinuous lines are the meshing circles of two gears with fixed centers, I don't understand the swivel idea.
The bigger gear should have a clockwise rotation.
In that case, the velocity vector of joint B should be represented as perpendicular to the radius of that gear and pointing to the right.
That vector then determines the velocity vectors of joints C, D and E.
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-09 at 10.57.00.jpeg

So can I see the problem like this?

Yes, but only if I am correct about the gears and other assumptions.
Could you consult with your professor?
Is it a number-less assignment, just to represent those vectors in a rough way?

Oh okay I understand, I will consult it when I have a chance,
Yes it's a number-less assignment
Thank you for your help

Likes Lnewqban

Related to Drawing velocity polygon for a press mechanism

What is a velocity polygon in the context of a press mechanism?

A velocity polygon is a graphical method used to determine the velocities of various components in a press mechanism. By constructing a polygon where each side represents the velocity vector of a component, engineers can visualize and calculate the relative velocities of the parts involved in the mechanism.

Why is it important to draw a velocity polygon for a press mechanism?

Drawing a velocity polygon is crucial for understanding the dynamic behavior of a press mechanism. It helps in identifying the speed and direction of motion of different components, which is essential for ensuring the mechanism operates efficiently and safely. It also aids in the design and optimization of the system by highlighting potential issues such as excessive velocities or misalignments.

What are the basic steps to draw a velocity polygon for a press mechanism?

To draw a velocity polygon for a press mechanism, follow these steps:1. Identify all the moving components in the mechanism.2. Determine the input velocity, usually given or assumed.3. Use the kinematic relationships and velocity equations to calculate the relative velocities of each component.4. Draw the velocity vectors to scale, starting from a common point, and connect them head-to-tail to form a closed polygon.5. Verify the polygon for consistency and accuracy.

What tools or software can be used to draw a velocity polygon?

Velocity polygons can be drawn manually using graph paper, a ruler, and a protractor. However, for more complex mechanisms or for increased accuracy, engineers often use CAD (Computer-Aided Design) software such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks, or specialized kinematic analysis software like Adams or MATLAB. These tools provide precise calculations and visualizations, making the process more efficient and reliable.

What are common mistakes to avoid when drawing a velocity polygon for a press mechanism?

Common mistakes include:1. Incorrectly identifying the direction and magnitude of velocity vectors.2. Not maintaining the correct scale for velocity vectors.3. Ignoring the effect of angular velocities and assuming linear motion only.4. Failing to close the polygon, which indicates an error in the velocity calculations.5. Overlooking the impact of friction, inertia, and other forces that might affect the actual velocities of the components.