Dynamics, Newton's laws, Problem with free body diagram and work

In summary, the conversation discusses a boy skateboarding down a curved ramp with no friction. The boy and his skateboard are treated as a particle with a total mass of 25kg, moving through a quarter-circle with a radius of 3m. The speed of the boy at the bottom of the ramp is found using the equations for change in potential energy and kinetic energy. The normal force acting on the boy at the bottom of the curve is also calculated. In addition, the concept of drawing free-body diagrams is mentioned, as well as the fact that the work done by the normal force is equal to 0 due to its direction being perpendicular to the direction of motion.
akmenio

Homework Statement

A boy skateboards down a curved playground ramp. If we treat the boy and his skateboard as a
particle of total mass m = 25:0 kg, he moves through a quarter-circle with radius R = 3:0 m. He
starts from rest at point A and there is no friction.
(a) Find his speed at the bottom of the ramp
(b) Draw free-body diagrams for points A, B, C and D.
(c) Find the normal force that acts on him at the bottom of the curve
(d) Find work done by the normal force

Homework Equations

E=mgh
E=(mv^2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I find answer for a, I use that change of potential energy is equal to kinetic. Also I done c because the normal force is equal change of potential energy. But i haven't got idea how to draw free-body diagrams and whywork done by normal force is equal 0 (Our teacher give us this answer)

Attachments

• fizyka.jpg
    fizyka.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 615
Physics news on Phys.org
akmenio said:
I find answer for a, I use that change of potential energy is equal to kinetic.
Good.

Also I done c because the normal force is equal change of potential energy.
Not sure what you mean.

But i haven't got idea how to draw free-body diagrams
Just label the forces acting on the particle, indicating their direction.

and whywork done by normal force is equal 0
At any point along the path, how does the direction of the normal force compare to the direction the particle is moving?

Related to Dynamics, Newton's laws, Problem with free body diagram and work

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are a set of three fundamental principles that explain the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do I apply Newton's laws to solve problems?

To apply Newton's laws to solve problems, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, use the second law to calculate the net force acting on the object. Finally, use the first law to determine the resulting motion of the object.

3. What is a free body diagram and how do I use it?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It includes the object as a point and arrows representing the magnitude and direction of each force. To use a free body diagram, you need to identify all the forces acting on the object and draw them with the correct direction and magnitude.

4. What is the problem with free body diagrams?

The main problem with free body diagrams is that they can be oversimplified and may not accurately represent all the forces acting on an object. This can lead to incorrect calculations and predictions of motion. It is important to carefully consider all the forces acting on an object and accurately represent them in the free body diagram.

5. What is work and how is it related to force?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement. In other words, work is the energy transferred to or from an object by a force acting on it. The relationship between work and force is that work is only done when a force acts on an object and causes it to move. Without a force, there is no work done on an object.