Earth Rope Challenge: 6m Longer - How High?

In summary, the conversation discusses a challenge problem involving a rope tied around the Earth and then cut and extended by 6 meters. The question is how high the new rope will be above the Earth's surface. The conversation also mentions a variation of the problem where the rope is lifted at one point, and asks for the height of that point above the Earth. A solution using approximation is given, with a rough estimation of 390 meters. The conversation also mentions the source of the problem.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
This isn't so much a challenge problem as much as it has a startling (at least I think so) answer.

Say we tie a rope around the Earth. Now we are going to cut it and add another 6 meters to it. If we pull the new rope tight (in a circle) how high is the new rope above the Earth's surface?

It's reasonably easy so if you've seen it before let someone else answer. (I first saw this problem in a "Dr. Crypton" article in "Science Digest.")

-Dan

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well the Earth's radius is $6371 ~ \text{km}$, so the original rope has a length of $2 \pi \times 6371 ~ \text{km}$. If we add $6 ~ \text{m} = 6 \times 10^{-3} ~ \text{km}$ to this rope, its new radius is:
$$\frac{2 \pi \times 6371 + 6 \times 10^{-3}}{2 \pi} \approx 6371.0009 ~ \text{km}$$
So the rope now "floats" about $0.0009 ~ \text{km} = 90 ~ \text{cm}$ above the ground. To be exact, $95.5 ~ \text{cm}$ (this is $\frac{6}{2 \pi} ~ \text{m}$).

Wait, what? My mind is blown :rolleyes:

topsquark said:
This isn't so much a challenge problem as much as it has a startling (at least I think so) answer.

Say we tie a rope around the Earth. Now we are going to cut it and add another 6 meters to it. If we pull the new rope tight (in a circle) how high is the new rope above the Earth's surface?

It's reasonably easy so if you've seen it before let someone else answer. (I first saw this problem in a "Dr. Crypton" article in "Science Digest.")

-Dan

I recall a version of this problem circulating several years ago among the performance car forums on which I used to be quite active, and there was much disbelief and dissension among the masses. (Rofl)

Bacterius said:
Well the Earth's radius is $6371 ~ \text{km}$
I take issue with this solution, which assumes that the Earth's radius is 6,371 km. This is just the mean radius. The equatorial radius is quite a bit larger at 6,378.1 km, while the polar radius is quite a bit smaller at 6,356.8 km. Clearly, the answer to the problem depends on the radius... hmm... never mind.

Here is another question: What happens if, after adding 6 m, we lift the rope by one point so that it is taut and lies flat on the surface for most of the circumference, as in the following picture?

Rope_height_2.jpg

How high above the Earth is the point by which the rope is lifted?

Last edited:
Evgeny.Makarov said:
I take issue with this solution, which assumes that the Earth's radius is 6,371 km. This is just the mean radius. The equatorial radius is quite larger at 6,378.1 km, while the polar radius is quite smaller at 6,356.8 km. Clearly, the answer to the problem depends on the radius... hmm... never mind.

Here is another question: What happens if, after adding 6 m, we lift the rope by one point so that it is taut and lies flat on the surface for most of the circumference, as in the following picture?

Rope_height_2.jpg

Nice problem!
earth.png

If the circle has radius $R$ and the length of the rope is increased from $2\pi R$ to $2\pi R + \delta$ then, with $\theta$ as in the diagram, $2\pi R + \delta = 2(\pi - \theta)R + 2R\tan\theta$. Thus $\tan\theta - \theta = \frac{\delta}{2R}.$ This can't be solved exactly for $\theta$, but assuming that $\delta \ll R$ we can use the approximation $\tan\theta \approx \theta + \frac13\theta^3$ (first two terms of the power series for $\tan\theta$) to get $\dfrac\delta{2R} \approx \dfrac{\theta^3}3$, so that $\theta \approx \sqrt[3]{\dfrac{3\delta}{2R}}$.

The distance $h$ of the high point of the rope from the circumference of the circle is $h = R(\sec\theta - 1)$. Again using the power series approximation, this time for $\sec\theta \approx 1 + \frac12\theta^2$, we have $$ h \approx \frac R2\Bigl(\frac{3\delta}{2R}\Bigr)^{2/3} = \sqrt[3]{\frac{9\delta^2R}{32}}.$$

Since this is just a rough approximation, I'll take the radius of the Earth to be $6\times 10^6$m. If $\delta = 6$m then that formula gives $h\approx 390$m.​

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I take issue with this solution, which assumes that the Earth's radius is 6,371 km. This is just the mean radius. The equatorial radius is quite larger at 6,378.1 km, while the polar radius is quite smaller at 6,356.8 km. Clearly, the answer to the problem depends on the radius... hmm... never mind.

Rope_height_2.jpg

Even more mind blowing! (Shake)

-Dan

This problem and picture are taken from the MathForum.

Related to Earth Rope Challenge: 6m Longer - How High?

1. What is "Earth Rope Challenge: 6m Longer - How High?"

"Earth Rope Challenge: 6m Longer - How High?" is a scientific experiment designed to test the strength and endurance of ropes under different lengths and weights.

2. How does the Earth Rope Challenge work?

The Earth Rope Challenge involves hanging a rope from a high point and gradually adding weights to the bottom of the rope to increase its length. The goal is to see how high the rope can be raised before it breaks.

3. What is the purpose of the Earth Rope Challenge?

The purpose of the Earth Rope Challenge is to gather data on the strength and durability of ropes under varying conditions. This information can be used to improve and develop new materials for ropes in various industries.

4. What are the potential applications of the Earth Rope Challenge?

The data collected from the Earth Rope Challenge can be applied to industries such as construction, engineering, and outdoor recreation. It can also aid in the development of new materials for ropes used in extreme environments, such as space exploration.

5. How can the results of the Earth Rope Challenge be used in the future?

The results of the Earth Rope Challenge can be used to improve safety standards and guidelines for using ropes in various industries. It can also lead to the development of stronger and more durable ropes for various applications.