EE Solving a circuit using KCL and KVL

In summary, the current through the 8Ω resistor is i0/4, and the current through the 2Ω resistor is 5/4 of this.
MienTommy

Homework Statement

Find V0 and i0.
Untitled.png

Homework Equations

Total current at each node is = 0.
Total voltage around each loop is = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to be able to analyze this circuit. That i0/4 is really messing me up. I am unsure how to apply both KCL and KVL on this practice problem. I can solve other circuit problems that have at least two resistors through each loop, but this one doesn't contain two resistors through each loop. A walk-through through this problem would be nice.

20151225_200305.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You have 9A entering the top node, so equate this to the 3 currents leaving it.

The voltage across the 2Ω resistor convenently gives you an expression for vo .

http://www.imageshack.com/a/img109/4666/holly1756.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
You have 9A entering the top node, so equate this to the 3 currents leaving it.

The voltage across the 2Ω resistor convenently gives you an expression for vo .

I get: 9A = (5/4)i
Solving i = 7.2A

And how do you determine the current passing through the middle loop with two currents by each other?

MienTommy said:
I get: 9A = (5/4)i
Solving i = 7.2A

And how do you determine the current passing through the middle loop with two currents by each other?
There are 3 currents leaving the top node which add to 9A. They are io, io/4 and current through the 8Ω resistor, say i.
Can you write expression for i in terms of io?
Hint: voltage across the 2Ω resistor is vo.

Last edited:
It is worth pointing out that the labelling in this problem runs somewhat contrary to convention. It is customary that where a voltage across an element is labelled ##v_o## then the current through that same element will be known as ##i_o## ; but such convention has not been followed in this figure, and---while not wrong---this could cause some confusion.

The direction of 8Ω resistor is defined by its voltage sign. You can write all currents with the correct direction.

cnh1995 said:
There are 3 currents leaving the top node which add to 9A. They are io, io/4 and current through the 8Ω resistor, say i.
Can you write expression for i in terms of io?
Hint: voltage across the 2Ω resistor is vo.

Problem Solving
Ah I think I see it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Since the 8Ω element is in parallel with the 2Ω element and the i0/4 element, their voltages must equal each other.

So we can set the voltage of the 8Ω element equal to the 2Ω so : 2i0 = 8iv0
solving for iv0, we get iv0 = i0/4.

Adding up the currents leaving the node: i0/4 + i0/4 + i0 = 9A
We get i0 = 6A.

Since we know i0 now, we can solve for v0. So, v0 = i0/4 * 8Ω : giving us v0 = 12V.

Questions
1. How did we know the direction of the current passing through the 8Ω element?

2. This doesn't seem logical to me, but if we can set the voltages of elements equal to each other, can we set the voltage of the i0/4 varying current element equal to the voltage 8Ω element? Or are we only allowed to set voltage producing elements equal to each other when in parallel? Thus, the current element doesn't produce a voltage so it wouldn't be allowed.

Current through a passive element flows from its higher potential end to its lower potential end, so once the + and - signs for voltage are marked on an element this determines the direction you will consider current in that element to be flowing. (It will happen from time to time that this voltage or current turns out to be a negative quantity, this simply means that any initial assumption you made had the direction reversed. This is to be expected, as before you apply any maths it often is not obvious what the polarity will be.)

All elements in parallel share an identical voltage. There are no exceptions.

Related to EE Solving a circuit using KCL and KVL

1. How do you apply Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) in solving a circuit?

KCL states that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must be equal to the sum of currents leaving that node. To apply KCL, you need to first identify all the nodes in the circuit and assign a direction to each current. Then, write an equation for each node by setting the sum of the incoming currents equal to the sum of the outgoing currents. This will create a system of equations that can be solved to find the unknown currents in the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) in circuit analysis?

KVL states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to the sum of voltage rises. This law is useful in solving circuits because it allows us to determine the voltage drop across each element in a loop by simply adding or subtracting the voltage drops. It also helps to check for errors in circuit analysis by ensuring that the calculated voltages obey the law.

3. Can KCL and KVL be used to solve any type of circuit?

Yes, KCL and KVL are applicable to any type of circuit, whether it is a simple series or parallel circuit, or a more complex circuit with multiple loops and nodes. These laws are fundamental principles in circuit analysis and are used to analyze and solve circuits in various fields of engineering, such as electronics, power systems, and telecommunications.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using KCL and KVL?

One common mistake is forgetting to account for all the currents and voltage drops in a circuit. It is important to carefully identify all the nodes and loops in the circuit and properly assign the directions of the currents and voltage drops. Another mistake is assuming that the voltage drop across an element is equal to the voltage source connected to it. Remember that KVL only applies to closed loops, so the voltage drop across a resistor may be different from the voltage of the source connected to it.

5. Is there a specific order in which KCL and KVL should be applied in circuit analysis?

No, there is no specific order in which KCL and KVL should be applied. Both laws can be used simultaneously to solve a circuit, and the choice depends on the specific problem at hand. However, it is important to note that KCL is used to analyze nodes in a circuit, while KVL is used to analyze loops. So, it is important to identify and label the nodes and loops in a circuit before applying KCL and KVL.