Electric Field & Potential of infinite concentric cylinders

In summary, the problem involves an infinitely long solid cylinder with uniform linear charge density λ1 and radius a inside a hollow cylindrical pipe with inner radius b and outer radius c and uniform linear charge density λ2. The electric field and potential are to be found throughout the system with the outer surface of the pipe as the zero for potential. Using Gauss's Law, the electric field was determined to be (λ1*r)/(2ε0) from r=0 to r=a and (λ1*r)(a2)/(2*ε0*r) from r=a to r=b. However, there is uncertainty about the field within and outside of the area from r=b to r=c and whether the b term should be included in the calculations.
Zanker

Homework Statement

Consider an infinitely long solid cylinder of uniform linear charge density λ1 and radius a inside a hollow cylindrical pipe of inner radius b and outer radius c and uniform linear charge density λ2. A cross-sectional view of the system is shown below(linked and attached). Find the electric field everywhere and determine the electric potential everywhere, taking the outer surface of the pipe as the zero for the potential.

Homework Equations

/The attempt at a solution[/B]
I easily enough determined through Gauss's Law the Electric field from r=0 to r=a, using E*A = Q/ε0 to find E = (λ1*r)/(2ε0) and from r=a to r=b as E = (λ1*r)(a2)/(2*ε0*r). My question lies within the dealing of a non-shell hollow cylinder, and how I find the field produced within and outside of the area from r=b to r=c. My initial thought was that within the outer thick shell would be E = (λ2*r)/(2ε0) + (λ1*r)(a2)/(2*ε0*r), and outside the shell (r>c) would be E = (λ1*r)(a2)/(2*ε0*r) + (λ2*r)(c2)/(2*ε0*r). However, I feel like this doesn't necessarily cover all of my bases, since I feel like I am neglecting the b term. Should the E from the outer thick shell use (c-b)2 rather than just the c term? I think that would make more sense. I haven't tackled the potential portion yet, I feel that would be easier after I determine the field everywhere. Thanks for the help, this is my first time on the site.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 591
Physics news on Phys.org
Whelp, I also realized I calculated the E fields incorrectly, using λ1 and λ2 as charge densities rather than the linear charge densities they are. This means that my E from r=0 to r=a is (λ1*r)/(2πε0*a2), from r=a to r=b as E = (λ1)/(2*π*ε0*r) with the other equations following in suit.

Related to Electric Field & Potential of infinite concentric cylinders

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged object experiences a force. The strength and direction of the electric field is determined by the magnitude and direction of the charges within the field.

How does an electric field form between two infinite concentric cylinders?

When two or more objects with opposite charges are placed close to each other, an electric field is formed between them. In the case of infinite concentric cylinders, the inner cylinder has a positive charge and the outer cylinder has a negative charge, creating an electric field between them.

What is the equation for the electric field between two infinite concentric cylinders?

The electric field between two infinite concentric cylinders can be calculated using the equation E = (Q/2πεr) where E is the electric field, Q is the charge of the inner cylinder, ε is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance between the cylinders.

How does the potential differ between the inside and outside of the inner cylinder?

The potential inside the inner cylinder is constant and equal to the potential of the inner cylinder itself. However, the potential outside the inner cylinder is dependent on the distance from the inner cylinder and decreases as the distance increases.

What is the equation for the potential between two infinite concentric cylinders?

The potential between two infinite concentric cylinders can be calculated using the equation V = (Q/2πεr)ln(b/a) where V is the potential, Q is the charge of the inner cylinder, ε is the permittivity of free space, and a and b are the radii of the inner and outer cylinders, respectively.