Electric force on between 2 rods

In summary: Then find the field from the second rod as a function of distance from its center. Finally integrate the two fields to get the total force.
ngkamsengpeter

Homework Statement

Identical thin rods of length (2a) carry equal charges +Q uniformly distributed along their lengths.

The rods lie on (along) the x-axis with their *centers* separated by a distance b > 2a.

(Left rod from x=-a to x=a, right rod from x=b-a to x=b+a)

Show that the magnitude of the force exerted by the left rod on the right one is
[tex]F = k_e\frac{Q^2}{4a^2} \ln \frac{b^2}{b^2-4a^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i should find the electric field at a point and then integrate it over the length of the rod to find the force But i even can't find the electric field . I see this question in the archieve but i just don't understand .
I know that we first find the E by integrating -a to a .After that we find the force by integrating from b-a to b+a right ? But the answer is integrating both from -a to a . Why not from b-a to b+a for the second times integration ?
Can someone help me to solve the questions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is correct.

Here is a similar problem - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elelin.html#c1

The integration and form of integrand depend on the coordinate system.

If the one used the same coordinate system with x=0 at the center of the left rod, then one would integrate the right rod from b-a to b+a, but then one has to be careful about using x which is the position rather than distance.

By treating the second rod with another independent variable e.g. y it is less confusing.

If y is the position with respect to the center of the second (right) rod, then one integrates the second rod from -a < y < +a, just as one would integrate the first (left) rod from -a < x < a, and the distance between any two points is (b+y-x).

Also, the charge density is [itex]\lambda\,=\,\frac{Q}{2a}[/itex], and one can see that the force is proportional to [itex]\lambda^2[/itex].

Why don't you first find the field from the first rod as a function of distance from its center?

As far as the second integration goes, its range depends on how you define the variable of integration. If you use distance (x) from the center of the first rod, then the integration will be from x = b -a to x = b + a. But you can also define the distance with respect to the center of the second rod (x'): x = b + x'. In which case the integration will be from x' = -a to x' = +a.

Astronuc said:
Your approach is correct.

Here is a similar problem - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elelin.html#c1

The integration and form of integrand depend on the coordinate system.

If the one used the same coordinate system with x=0 at the center of the left rod, then one would integrate the right rod from b-a to b+a, but then one has to be careful about using x which is the position rather than distance.

By treating the second rod with another independent variable e.g. y it is less confusing.

If y is the position with respect to the center of the second (right) rod, then one integrates the second rod from -a < y < +a, just as one would integrate the first (left) rod from -a < x < a, and the distance between any two points is (b+y-x).

Also, the charge density is [itex]\lambda\,=\,\frac{Q}{2a}[/itex], and one can see that the force is proportional to [itex]\lambda^2[/itex].
I don't really understand what you mean . Can you give the step by step integration so that i can understand more or give some picture to visualise what you mean?

someone please help me !

Please do as I suggest in post #3: Find the field from the first rod as a function of distance from its center.

Related to Electric force on between 2 rods

What is the electric force between two charged rods?

The electric force between two charged rods is the attractive or repulsive force that exists between them due to the presence of electric charges.

How is the electric force between two charged rods calculated?

The electric force between two charged rods is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges on the rods and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect the magnitude of the electric force between two charged rods?

The magnitude of the electric force between two charged rods is affected by the amount of charge on each rod, the distance between the rods, and the nature of the material the rods are made of.

Can the electric force between two charged rods be negative?

Yes, the electric force between two charged rods can be negative if the charges on the rods are of opposite signs, resulting in an attractive force. If the charges are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive.

What is the direction of the electric force between two charged rods?

The direction of the electric force between two charged rods depends on the signs of the charges. If the charges are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive and act in the opposite direction of the line connecting the two rods. If the charges are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive and act in the same direction as the line connecting the two rods.