Electric Potential for neutral conducting sphere

In summary: No, their magnitude won't be -Q...surely you have an example with a grounded spherical shell and a point charge in your text?Yes, I do. See the first example in the text for a solid sphere with a point charge located outside of the sphere. In this example, Q' is equal to the negative ratio of two distances times Q. Q' would have to be in a different region from the one I am calculating V for.In summary, Gauss' Law can be used to calculate the electric potential in regions where symmetry exists between the point charges. However, in order to calculate the potential in the third region, where the two point charges are not symmetrical, another approach must
foxhound32

Homework Statement

An electrically neutral conducting sphere of inner radius Ra and outer radius Rb is centered on the origin. Two equal, positive point charges of magnitude Q are located on the x-axis on each side a distance d from the origin. Determine the electrical potential in the regions:
a) 0≤r≤R_a
b) R_a≤r≤R_b
c) R_b≤r≤∞

Homework Equations

(1)∮▒〖E∙da〗= Q_enc/ϵ_o
(2)V= -∫▒〖E ∙dl〗

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Gauss' Law in integral form (1) to find the electric field in each of the regions then used equation (2) to find the electric potential. My question lies on the third region in regards to the two point charges and how they come into play.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
foxhound32 said:
I used Gauss' Law in integral form (1) to find the electric field in each of the regions then used equation (2) to find the electric potential.

Oh? How exactly did you do that? Does this problem really possesses any of the symmetries that allow you to extract |E| from the flux integral?

Instead, you'll want to either use the method of images (easiest method), or solve Laplace's equation using separation of variables.

Well its a sphere, so the only thing not symmetrical would be the two point charges, which is what is really bugging me about this whole thing. About the method of images, wouldn't I be placing a negative point charge opposite the positive one, which in turn is where the other positive point charge lies?

Thanks for your response.

foxhound32 said:
Well its a sphere, so the only thing not symmetrical would be the two point charges, which is what is really bugging me about this whole thing.

Keep in mind that the two point charges will induce some charge density (the net charge will still be zero, but negative and positive charges will separate) on the sphere, and that charge density need not be spherically symmetric (in fact, it isn't).

About the method of images, wouldn't I be placing a negative point charge opposite the positive one, which in turn is where the other positive point charge lies?

It depends on which region you are trying to calculate the potential in... is [itex]d[/itex] larger or smaller than [itex]R_a[/itex] and [itex]R_b[/itex]?

d is smaller than both Ra and Rb.
Thanks for explaining the symmetry.

Okay, so when calculating the potential in region (a) you will place two image charges in the region r>Ra...where, and of what magnitude?

They would be -Q in magnitude, where is what I'm not understanding. The book would say on the opposing side of the axis, which is where the other positive point charge lies. You said putting them in r > Ra which would be in the conductor. I guess a picture will help this I tried attaching one

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 702
foxhound32 said:
They would be -Q in magnitude, where is what I'm not understanding. The book would say on the opposing side of the axis, which is where the other positive point charge lies. You said putting them in r > Ra which would be in the conductor. I guess a picture will help this I tried attaching one

No, their magnitude won't be -Q...surely you have an example with a grounded spherical shell and a point charge in your text? Use that.

Ok the text has an example but their sphere is solid, and the point charge is outside the sphere. I could utilize Q' which would be equal to the negative ratio of two distances times Q. Q' would have to be in a different region from the one I am calculating V for. I'll give it a go.
Thanks

FAQ: Electric Potential for neutral conducting sphere

1. What is electric potential for a neutral conducting sphere?

The electric potential for a neutral conducting sphere is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a certain point on the surface of the sphere. It is a measure of the work that must be done to bring a unit charge from infinity to that point on the surface of the sphere.

2. How is electric potential for a neutral conducting sphere calculated?

The electric potential for a neutral conducting sphere can be calculated using the formula V = k(Q/R), where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and R is the radius of the sphere.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field for a neutral conducting sphere?

The electric field at any point on the surface of a neutral conducting sphere is always perpendicular to the surface and has a magnitude of zero. This means that the electric potential is constant at all points on the surface of the sphere.

4. Can the electric potential for a neutral conducting sphere change?

No, the electric potential for a neutral conducting sphere cannot change. This is because the electric potential is constant at all points on the surface of the sphere, regardless of the charge or distance from the center.

5. How is the electric potential for a neutral conducting sphere affected by the size and charge of the sphere?

The electric potential for a neutral conducting sphere is directly proportional to the charge of the sphere and inversely proportional to the size of the sphere. This means that as the charge increases, the electric potential also increases, while as the size of the sphere increases, the electric potential decreases.