Electron travel in a wire; distance

In summary, the starter motor of a car engine draws a current of 140 A from the battery. The copper wire to the motor is 5.0 mm in diameter and 1.2 m long. The starter motor runs for 0.95 s until the car engine starts. To find the distance an electron travels along the wire while the starter motor is on, we can use the equation for drift velocity, which is equal to the current density divided by the concentration of charges in the material. Using this equation, we can find the current density to be 7130141.45 A/m^2. However, we still need to know the concentration of charges in the material to find the drift velocity.
megr_ftw

Homework Statement

The starter motor of a car engine draws a current of 140 A from the battery. The copper wire to the motor is 5.0 mm in diameter and 1.2 m long. The starter motor runs for 0.95 s until the car engine starts.

How far does an electron travel along the wire while the starter motor is on?

Homework Equations

drift velocity= (j) / (en)
j= current density, e=elementary charge, n=concentration of gases in material(given in book)

j= I/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the charge that passes through the starter motor to be 133 Coulombs. Am I suppose to incorporate the equation for drift velocity in order to find the distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
and I actually just found the current density to be 7130141.45 A/m^2 using the second equation.
now, how am I suppose to go from this to the distance the electron travels after 0.95 seconds??

I would first clarify the context of the question and ensure that all necessary information is provided. In this case, it appears that the question is asking for the distance traveled by an electron in a specific wire while a car's starter motor is operating. I would also confirm that the given information, such as the current and wire dimensions, are accurate and relevant to the question.

To find the distance traveled by an electron, we first need to calculate the number of electrons passing through the wire in 0.95 seconds. We can do this by dividing the total charge passing through the wire (133 Coulombs) by the elementary charge (1.6 x 10^-19 Coulombs), which gives us approximately 8.3 x 10^20 electrons.

Next, we can use the equation for drift velocity to calculate the distance traveled by each electron. The drift velocity is equal to the current density (j) divided by the concentration of charge carriers (n), which is the concentration of electrons in this case. The current density can be calculated by dividing the current (140 A) by the cross-sectional area of the wire (pi x (5.0 mm/2)^2 = 19.63 mm^2 = 1.963 x 10^-5 m^2). The concentration of electrons in copper is approximately 8.5 x 10^28 electrons per m^3.

Plugging in these values, we get a drift velocity of approximately 6.5 x 10^-4 m/s. To find the total distance traveled by an electron in 0.95 seconds, we multiply the drift velocity by the time, giving us a distance of approximately 6.2 x 10^-4 meters, or 0.62 millimeters.

Therefore, while the starter motor is on, an electron travels approximately 0.62 millimeters along the 1.2 meter long wire. This distance may seem small, but it is important to note that electrons in a wire do not travel in a straight line like a car on a road. Instead, they move in a random zigzag pattern due to collisions with other particles in the wire.

Related to Electron travel in a wire; distance

1. How do electrons travel in a wire?

Electrons travel in a wire by moving along the length of the wire in a series of small jumps, known as electron drift. This is due to the repulsive forces between electrons that cause them to move towards the positive end of the wire.

2. What determines the distance an electron travels in a wire?

The distance an electron travels in a wire is determined by the length of the wire itself. The longer the wire, the farther an electron will travel before reaching the end.

3. How does the material of the wire affect electron travel distance?

The material of the wire can affect the electron travel distance due to its conductivity. Materials with high conductivity, such as copper, allow electrons to flow more easily and therefore have a longer travel distance compared to materials with lower conductivity.

4. Can electron travel distance be increased in a wire?

Yes, the electron travel distance can be increased in a wire by increasing the voltage or potential difference across the wire. This provides a stronger force for the electrons to overcome any resistance and travel a longer distance.

5. Is the electron travel distance the same in all wires?

No, the electron travel distance can vary in different wires depending on their length, material, and the amount of voltage applied. Some wires may have a longer distance due to their properties, while others may have a shorter distance due to resistance or other factors.