Electrostatics -- the case of a charged cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses an exercise involving an infinite hollow cylinder charge with a sheath of outer limits R2 and R3 and a uniform charge density ρ. The questions involve calculating the total electric field at any point in space, describing the appearance of the electric field, and calculating the electrostatic energy carried by a cylinder of length L. The conversation also addresses the importance of correctly calculating the charge enclosed in a Gaussian surface, taking into account the charge density and dimensions of the surface. The expert summarizes the key points and provides guidance on properly answering the questions.
Pablo3
Missing template. Originally posted in technical forums.
Hello , I post a message because I will need help with this exercise I would like to knowif my answer are
good,

I'm french :

An infinite hollow cylinder charge is constituted of a sheath whose outer limits are R2 and R3. Wearing a uniform charge density ρ
160103061028647147.jpg

Question 2)calculate the total electric field E at any point M ( r ,θ, z) into space.
3) Give the appearance of E according to the relevant variable .
4 ) Calculate the electrostatic energy carried by a cylinder length L.
And my answers are:
2)There are 3 cases:
The first r<R2
Whe can say that :
160103055129288919.jpg

And Er(r)=0 because ρ=0.
Second and third case:
160103055118493319.jpg

3)
160103055128956052.jpg

I had a problem to place A and B because I do not know how far they must be put to the origin O ( 0,0,0) .
I do not know either the distance required between R2 and R3 on the drawing or the shape of the curve.
4)
160103060710389264.jpg

and Ep=0 because ρ=0.

Also the beginning of my reasoning is here(in french,but the only the formulas are important).
160103055856887730.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
In all three cases, you have not correctly calculated the charge enclosed in the Gaussian surface.

In the region where r < R2, what is the charge density?

For each of the other two cases, make sure you draw a picture showing your Gaussian surface.

the load is 0 because there is no load , I wrote it above.
And the other cases it's "rho" no?

Pablo3 said:
the load is 0 because there is no load , I wrote it above.
OK, I overlooked that. So, your answer for r < R2 is correct.
And the other cases it's "rho" no?
For the second and third parts, make sure you are taking into account that ρ = 0 for the hollow region.
Also, for the second part where R2 < r < R3, make sure you are finding the charge enclosed in your Gaussian surface. Thus, make sure you can draw and describe the dimensions of your Gaussian surface.

Ah okay!

I had not taken it into account between R2 and R3 actually , thank you very much.
Hum for r>R3 it's 0,and for R2<r<R3 it varies between 0 and rho I think.
I will think carefully before you answer in this case!

Last edited:

Related to Electrostatics -- the case of a charged cylinder

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of electric charges at rest, also known as static electricity.

2. How is a cylinder charged?

A cylinder can be charged through a process called charging by induction, where an electric charge is transferred to the cylinder by bringing it close to a charged object.

3. What are the properties of a charged cylinder?

A charged cylinder will have an electric field both inside and outside the cylinder, with the direction of the field determined by the sign of the charge on the cylinder. The electric field lines will also be perpendicular to the surface of the cylinder.

4. How does the charge on the cylinder affect the electric field?

The magnitude of the electric field is directly proportional to the charge on the cylinder. As the charge increases, the electric field also increases. Additionally, the direction of the electric field lines will depend on the sign of the charge.

5. How does a charged cylinder interact with other charged objects?

A charged cylinder will interact with other charged objects through the electric field. If the objects have opposite charges, they will be attracted to each other, while objects with the same charge will repel each other. The strength of the interaction will depend on the magnitude of the charges and the distance between the objects.