Enabling Multiple GPUs in BIOS: A Solution for Display Issues?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, to have 2 GPUs work on one MOBO, the MOBO manufacturer suggests disabling one of the PCIE slots in BIOS, then plugging in the second GPU, rebooting, and turning the PCIE slot back on in BIOS. There is a possibility that this may not work and may need to be done each time the machine is powered on or rebooted.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am trying to have 2 GPUs work on one MOBO, but currently the screen only works with one GPU installed (doesn't matter which). I contacted the MOBO manufacturer, and they said to go into BIOS and disable one of the PCIE slots pertaining to the second GPU. Then plug in the second GPU, reboot, go into BIOS and turn the PCIE slot on. Can anyone with experience confirm this (there was a slight communication barrier, so I want to ensure this is correct)?

Thanks so much

Computer science news on Phys.org
It seems reasonable. BIOS could have gotten off to a wrong start and this puts the machine back to a single GPU state and then later to a double GPU state.

Hopefully you won’t have to do this each time the machine is powered on or rebooted.

Of course, caveats galore here as it may not work anyway.

Likes member 428835
jedishrfu said:
It seems reasonable. BIOS could have gotten off to a wrong start and this puts the machine back to a single GPU state and then later to a double GPU state.

Hopefully you won’t have to do this each time the machine is powered on or rebooted.

Of course, caveats galore here as it may not work anyway.
Alright, thanks. Just wanted to make sure! Oh gosh, why'd you even mention I might have to do this each time? LOL please no!

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu

Related to Enabling Multiple GPUs in BIOS: A Solution for Display Issues?

1. What is the purpose of booting BIOS for two GPUs?

Booting BIOS for two GPUs allows for both graphics processing units (GPUs) to be recognized and utilized by the computer's operating system. This can improve overall performance and allow for more advanced graphics rendering.

2. Can any computer boot BIOS for two GPUs?

No, not all computers have the capability to boot BIOS for two GPUs. This feature is typically only available on gaming or high-performance computers with multiple PCIe slots for expansion.

3. How do I know if my computer can boot BIOS for two GPUs?

You can check your computer's specifications or consult the manufacturer to see if it has the necessary hardware and BIOS support for multiple GPUs.

4. What is the process for booting BIOS for two GPUs?

The process can vary depending on the computer's BIOS and operating system, but generally, it involves enabling multi-GPU support in the BIOS settings and installing the appropriate drivers for both GPUs. It may also require configuring the GPUs for specific tasks, such as one for gaming and one for video rendering.

5. Are there any potential issues or limitations with booting BIOS for two GPUs?

Potential issues can include compatibility problems with certain GPUs, conflicts between drivers, and increased power consumption. It's important to research and carefully follow instructions for setting up and using multiple GPUs to avoid these issues. Additionally, not all applications or games may be optimized to utilize multiple GPUs, so the performance gain may not always be significant.

Back