Energy Production through Stirling Engine?

kenobiobiwan66
TL;DR Summary
350K water being used for a Low Temp Striling Engine. How much power should I expect?
A Beta-Type Regular Low Temperature Striling Engine being used to produce mechanical energy, where hot water at 350K is being used as fuel. What power should one expect theoretically?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you post links to the reading you have been doing about this so far? What do you think is the right equation to use to do this calculation?

Also, is this question for schoolwork?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you post links to the reading you have been doing about this so far? What do you think is the right equation to use to do this calculation?

Also, is this question for schoolwork?
Thanks!

According to International Journal of Thermal Sciences, a Striling Engine set to work between 800K and 300K produced around 8.634W Power Output, with Thermal Efficiency of 7.5% (https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...text=The results show that γ,0.908 W and 1.8%).

I don't understand the mathematics behind calculating efficiency of complex engines yet, I am a freshman to engineering.

I was thinking to make a project which used the principles of Stirling Engine, so before practically designing the system, I am trying to find out the theoretical feasibility of the project.

Likes berkeman

Related to Energy Production through Stirling Engine?

What is a Stirling engine and how does it work?

A Stirling engine is a type of heat engine that operates by cyclic compression and expansion of air or other gas (the working fluid) at different temperature levels, such that there is a net conversion of heat energy to mechanical work. It consists of a sealed cylinder with a piston, a regenerator, and heat exchangers. The engine works by heating the gas on one side and cooling it on the other, causing the gas to expand and contract, which moves the piston and generates mechanical work.

What are the advantages of using Stirling engines for energy production?

Stirling engines offer several advantages: they are highly efficient, can use a variety of heat sources (including solar, geothermal, and waste heat), produce low emissions, operate quietly, and have fewer moving parts, which reduces maintenance requirements. Their ability to use external heat sources makes them versatile for different applications.

What are the main limitations of Stirling engines?

Despite their advantages, Stirling engines have some limitations: they generally have a slower response time to changes in load compared to internal combustion engines, can be more expensive to manufacture due to the precision required in their construction, and may require large heat exchangers, which can be bulky. Additionally, achieving high power density can be challenging.

How efficient are Stirling engines compared to other types of engines?

Stirling engines can achieve thermal efficiencies comparable to or even exceeding those of internal combustion engines, especially when operating at high temperatures and with high-quality heat exchangers. Efficiencies of up to 40% have been reported in some cases. However, practical efficiencies are often lower due to real-world losses and design limitations.

What are the common applications of Stirling engines in energy production?

Stirling engines are used in a variety of applications, including solar power generation (where they convert concentrated solar energy into electricity), combined heat and power (CHP) systems, waste heat recovery, and as power sources for submarines and auxiliary power units. Their ability to use multiple heat sources makes them suitable for both renewable and non-renewable energy applications.

Back