Engineering Dynamics: Solving Train Decel on Slope

In summary, the conversation is about finding the deceleration of a 160-Mg train that is traveling with a speed of 80 kmlh up a slope with a y-intercept of 1 and an x-intercept of 10. The engine exerts a traction force of F(1/20) of the weight of the train and the rolling resistance is equal to 1/500 of the weight of the train. The equations used to solve the problem include summing forces in the x and y directions, using trigonometric functions to break down forces into components, and creating a free-body diagram. The conversation also discusses finding a common approach to solving dynamics problems and the importance of including acceleration components in equations.
JaredPM

Homework Statement

The 160-Mg train travels with a speed of 80 kmlh when it starts to climb the slope. If the engine exerts a traction force F of 1120 of the weight of the train and the rolling resistance F D is equal to 1/500 of the weight of the train, determine the deceleration of the train. slope is y=1 and x=10
Capture.PNG

****See attached files for picture.

Homework Equations

I summed the forces in the x and y directions because it is going up a slope.

The Attempt at a Solution

the solution I keep getting is in the right direction, but is 1.0m/s^2 off. i.e. -1.5m/s^2 roughly.

Physics news on Phys.org
The engine exerts a traction force of F(1/20) of the weight of the train. Not 1120

Show your work. Simply telling us the wrong answer you got isn't very helpful in seeing where you might have gone wrong.

∑F(x)=Fcos(5.7)-F(Resistance)cos(5.7)-F(Normal)cos(84.3)-mg*cos(84.3)=ma
∑F(y)=Fsin(5.7)-F(Resistance)sin(5.7)+F(Normal)sin(84.3)-mg*sin(84.3)=ma

I uploaded a free-body diagram.

Attachments

• f=ma.png
    f=ma.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 402
Can you explain your reasoning behind the equations?

Well I wanted to prove that the axis didn't need to be rotated. It certainly makes things easier if you do, but I wanted to break everything down into components to get a better understanding of how all of the forces are represented in the problem by using vectors. I want a fool proof way to begin dynamics. I did the above equation way wrong. I didn't give acceleration components for x or y most importantly.

I'm just trying to find a common approach to problems. Pulleys are different.

Related to Engineering Dynamics: Solving Train Decel on Slope

1. What is engineering dynamics?

Engineering dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and how forces affect the motion of objects. It involves analyzing the forces acting on a system and determining the resulting motion.

2. What is train deceleration on a slope?

Train deceleration on a slope refers to the process of slowing down a train that is moving on a slope. Due to the incline of the slope, the train will experience a gravitational force pulling it down the slope, which must be counteracted by the train's brakes to slow it down.

3. Why is it important to solve train deceleration on a slope?

Solving train deceleration on a slope is important for ensuring the safety and efficiency of train travel. If the train is not able to decelerate properly, it could lead to accidents or delays. It is also important for optimizing the performance and longevity of the train's brakes.

4. What factors affect train deceleration on a slope?

There are several factors that can affect train deceleration on a slope, including the weight and speed of the train, the angle and length of the slope, and the condition of the train's brakes. Other external factors such as weather and track conditions can also play a role.

5. How is train deceleration on a slope calculated and solved?

To calculate and solve train deceleration on a slope, engineers use principles of Newton's laws of motion and apply them to the specific conditions of the train and the slope. This involves analyzing the forces acting on the train, such as gravity and friction, and determining the appropriate braking force needed to slow down the train. Computer simulations and physical experiments may also be used to accurately solve for train deceleration on a slope.