Entering a caret within a Latexed expression: Ends up mangled...

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
How to write Latex for ##y_i## with a caret , i.e., y^_i?
Hi,
Trying to Latex in an estimator y^ together with an index, y_i . The latter is obvious as ##y_i##, but I can't get the estimator ^ without mangling it all.
Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
##\hat y_i##?

Likes WWGD
Orodruin said:
##\hat y_i##?
Thank you.

Related to Entering a caret within a Latexed expression: Ends up mangled...

What causes a caret to be mangled within a LaTeX expression?

A caret (^) can be mangled within a LaTeX expression when it is not properly escaped or when the expression is not correctly formatted. LaTeX interprets the caret as the beginning of a superscript, and if the syntax is incorrect, it can lead to unexpected results.

How can I correctly use a caret for superscripts in LaTeX?

To use a caret for superscripts in LaTeX, you should follow it with either a single character or enclose the superscript content in curly braces. For example, x^2 or x^{n+1}.

What should I do if I want to display a literal caret character in LaTeX?

To display a literal caret character in LaTeX, you need to use the \textasciicircum command. For example, \textasciicircum will display a caret (^) in the output.

Why does my LaTeX expression break when I use a caret?

Your LaTeX expression may break when using a caret if there is a syntax error, such as missing curly braces for a multi-character superscript or using the caret in an unsupported context. Ensure that the syntax is correct and that the caret is used appropriately.

Are there any tools or editors that can help with LaTeX syntax involving carets?

Yes, there are several LaTeX editors and tools that can help with syntax, including Overleaf, TeXShop, and TeXworks. These editors often provide syntax highlighting, error checking, and previews to help you correctly format expressions involving carets and other LaTeX commands.