Error Message: "Ethernet cable not connected or broken"

tellmesomething
Hello. I am not at all well versed with computers. My laptop was working fine yesterday. Today I opened it and its telling me that " An ethernet cable is not properly plugged in or might be broken". . I tried following things given on google like open command proof and type something.... But none of this worked. Ive no clue why it would have worked also as I have no knowledge beyond knowing how to operate It. If someone can pitch in with a solution id be grateful as I have a very important exam in a couple of hours and my city is under lockdown due to public unrest so I cannot go to a repair shop immediately today.

Some info, pls let me know if more is needed I just copy pasted this off of the control panel.
Device specifications
Device name: DESKTOP-1SPCA9M
processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 580 @2.67GHz 2.67GHz
Installe RAM: 4.00 GB(3.80 GB usable)

Windows specifications

Edition: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 22H2
OS build : 19045.4780

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
The first thing I would try is to restart the computer.

Likes tellmesomething
FactChecker said:
The first thing I would try is to restart the computer.
I tried it multiple times, it didnt work.

Do you know if you are getting Ethernet at your house now? Do you have anything else that can get on the Ethernet to test that?

Likes berkeman
Can you tell us more about your setup? For me, I use WiFi to connect my laptop to my cable modem, and I use an Ethernet cable to connect my wife's work PC to that cable modem. So my laptop would tell me that my WiFi connection is down, but I don't think it would say that my Ethernet cable was not working.

For the hard-wired Ethernet connection, you can generally look at the connector where the cable plugs into the modem and the PC to see if the activity LEDs are blinking. Do you see them blinking?

1724853383339.png

https://avtech.com/articles/225/what-the-ethernet-port-leds-mean-on-a-room-alert-monitor/

• Informative
Likes FactChecker
Do you actually have an ethernet cable connected to the computer and the router?
Or do you normally use Wi-Fi to get on line.
If you use an ethernet cable - plugged into the socket shown in the reply above this one - are both ends actually plugged in?

And is the cable good? Cables fail. Can you try a substitute?

If your city is on lockdown it may be that the internet provider has been shut off. That would give this message.

Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
If your city is on lockdown it may be that the internet provider has been shut off. That would give this message.
Good point! The lockdown is for public unrest, not for COVID or other pandemic issue.

Kind of a new twist on "My dog ate my homework"... :wink:

The OP doesn't say where he is, but Dhaka definitely has a) unrest and b) reduced internet.

berkeman said:
So my laptop would tell me that my WiFi connection is down, but I don't think it would say that my Ethernet cable was not working.
Unfortunately, this being Microsoft, this error message can have nothing to do with an actual ethernet cable - it usually just means that the WiFi card has stopped working. In fact if your laptop actually has an ethernet port you may find that connecting that with a cable to your router will work perfectly!

Unfortunately diagnosing the problem remotely, particularly when dealing with network service providers in India, is very difficult.

tellmesomething said:
I am not at all well versed with computers.
Have you got a friend who is better at this than you are?

Edit: I missed this
tellmesomething said:
I have a very important exam in a couple of hours and my city is under lockdown due to public unrest

Last edited: