Euler-Lagrange equation application

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty the person is having in manipulating an equation and finding the correct solution for part (a). They have tried using the Euler-Lagrange equation but it is not working. Another person suggests just calculating the derivative, and the first person is unsure why it is not coming out correctly. The second person hints at using the chain rule and asks to see the first person's attempt if they still cannot figure it out.
Ascendant78

Homework Statement

Screen_Shot001.jpg

Homework Equations

Screen_Shot002.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried manipulating the equation a few different ways, but the Euler-Lagrange and the one I'm supposed to show for a) is so different that I just can't seem to work. Can someone please point me in the right direction here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you don't need the Euler-Lagrange equation for (a). That looks like the standard derivative, just calculate it.

Well, just calculating the derivative, I'm not sure why it is coming out the way it is? I get that the "t" component would be zeros, cancelling out its parts. However, I'm not sure what derivative/partial derivative rules are being applied to get the equation to look like the one asked for in a)?

Think chain rule. If you still can't figure it out, show us your attempt.

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental tool in the field of mathematical physics, specifically in the study of variational calculus. It is used to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a certain functional, which is a mathematical expression involving a function and its derivatives. This equation has a wide range of applications, from mechanics to quantum field theory.

In your homework problem, it seems that you are given a functional and are asked to find the function that minimizes it. This can be done by setting up the Euler-Lagrange equation, which involves taking the derivative of the functional with respect to the function and its derivatives, and setting it equal to zero. This will give you a differential equation that can be solved to find the desired function.

It is common to encounter difficulties when first learning how to apply the Euler-Lagrange equation, as it involves several steps and can be quite abstract. I would suggest reviewing the basic concepts and equations involved, and perhaps seeking additional resources or assistance from your instructor or classmates. With practice and perseverance, you will become more comfortable with using the Euler-Lagrange equation and its applications.

FAQ: Euler-Lagrange equation application

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a fundamental tool in the field of calculus of variations. It is used to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a particular functional, which is a mathematical expression involving a function and its derivatives.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation applied in physics?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is widely used in physics, especially in the field of classical mechanics. It helps to determine the equations of motion for a system by minimizing the action functional, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time.

3. What are some common applications of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation has many applications in various fields such as economics, engineering, and control theory. Some specific examples include finding the optimal path for a spacecraft, determining the shape of a soap film between two frames, and optimizing the shape of a bridge to minimize stress.

4. What is the relationship between the Euler-Lagrange equation and the principle of least action?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the actual path taken by a system is the one that minimizes the action functional. The Euler-Lagrange equation is used to find this path and is therefore closely related to the principle of least action.

5. How do you solve the Euler-Lagrange equation?

Solving the Euler-Lagrange equation typically involves finding the stationary points of the functional, which are the points where the derivative of the functional with respect to the function is equal to zero. This can be done using various mathematical techniques such as the calculus of variations, the method of Lagrange multipliers, or the direct method of variation.

Back