Evaluating a sum involving binomial coefficients

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the sum $\mathop{\sum \sum}_{0\leq i<j\leq n} (-1)^{i-j+1}{n\choose i}{n\choose j}$, which is rewritten as $\sum_{j=1}^{n} \sum_{i=0}^{j-1} (-1)^{i-j+1}{n\choose i}{n\choose j}$. The innermost sum looks like a binomial expansion but further efforts do not help. Eventually, it is realized that the summand is symmetric in $i$ and $j$, which leads to a solution by adding the two sums and including the diagonal terms. The final
Saitama
Problem:
Evaluate
$$\mathop{\sum \sum}_{0\leq i<j\leq n} (-1)^{i-j+1}{n\choose i}{n\choose j}$$

Attempt:
I wrote the sum as:
$$\sum_{j=1}^{n} \sum_{i=0}^{j-1} (-1)^{i-j+1}{n\choose i}{n\choose j}$$
I am not sure how to proceed from here. I tried writing down a few terms but that doesn't seem to help.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
To me, the innermost sum looks like a binomial expansion...

Prove It said:
To me, the innermost sum looks like a binomial expansion...

I don't think so...(Wondering)

The sum is
$$-\sum_{j=1}^{n} (-1)^i{n\choose i} \sum_{i=0}^{j-1} (-1)^j {n\choose j}$$
The limits for innermost sum varies from 0 to j-1, not 0 to n.

Pranav said:
Problem:
Evaluate
$$\mathop{\sum \sum}_{0\leq i<j\leq n} (-1)^{i-j+1}{n\choose i}{n\choose j}$$
First, $(-1)^{-j} = (-1)^{\,j}$, so we can write the sum as \(\displaystyle S = \mathop{\sum \sum}_{0\leqslant i<j\leqslant n} (-1)^{i+j+1}{n\choose i}{n\choose j}\). The summand is then symmetric in $i$ and $j$, so the sum $S$ is equal to \(\displaystyle \mathop{\sum \sum}_{0\leqslant j<i\leqslant n} (-1)^{i+j+1}{n\choose i}{n\choose j}\) (with $i$ and $j$ interchanged). If we now add those two sums, and also throw in the diagonal terms (those with $i=j$ in the summand, namely \(\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^n -{n\choose i}^2\)), then we would get the sum over the whole $n\times n$ array of indices $\{(i,j): 1\leqslant i \leqslant n,\; 1 \leqslant j \leqslant n\}$. But that sum is \(\displaystyle -\sum_{i=0}^n (-1)^i{n\choose i} \sum_{j=0}^n (-1)^j{n\choose j}\). And \(\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^n (-1)^i{n\choose i} = 0\), because it is the binomial expansion of $(1-1)^n$.

It follows that \(\displaystyle 2S - \sum_{i=0}^n {n\choose i}^2 = 0\), and so \(\displaystyle S = \frac12\sum_{i=0}^n {n\choose i}^2 = \frac{(2n)!}{2(n!)^2}\) (see formula (9) here for the sum of the squares of binomial coefficients $n\choose i$).

Opalg said:
First, $(-1)^{-j} = (-1)^{\,j}$, so we can write the sum as \(\displaystyle S = \mathop{\sum \sum}_{0\leqslant i<j\leqslant n} (-1)^{i+j+1}{n\choose i}{n\choose j}\). The summand is then symmetric in $i$ and $j$, so the sum $S$ is equal to \(\displaystyle \mathop{\sum \sum}_{0\leqslant j<i\leqslant n} (-1)^{i+j+1}{n\choose i}{n\choose j}\) (with $i$ and $j$ interchanged). If we now add those two sums, and also throw in the diagonal terms (those with $i=j$ in the summand, namely \(\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^n -{n\choose i}^2\)), then we would get the sum over the whole $n\times n$ array of indices $\{(i,j): 1\leqslant i \leqslant n,\; 1 \leqslant j \leqslant n\}$. But that sum is \(\displaystyle -\sum_{i=0}^n (-1)^i{n\choose i} \sum_{j=0}^n (-1)^j{n\choose j}\). And \(\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^n (-1)^i{n\choose i} = 0\), because it is the binomial expansion of $(1-1)^n$.

It follows that \(\displaystyle 2S - \sum_{i=0}^n {n\choose i}^2 = 0\), and so \(\displaystyle S = \frac12\sum_{i=0}^n {n\choose i}^2 = \frac{(2n)!}{2(n!)^2}\) (see formula (9) here for the sum of the squares of binomial coefficients $n\choose i$).

This is great, thank you Opalg! :) (Bow)

FAQ: Evaluating a sum involving binomial coefficients

1. What are binomial coefficients and how are they calculated?

Binomial coefficients are numbers that represent the coefficients of a term in a binomial expansion. They are calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items chosen.

2. Why is evaluating a sum involving binomial coefficients useful?

Evaluating sums involving binomial coefficients is useful in many areas of mathematics and science, such as probability, combinatorics, and statistics. It allows us to calculate the number of possible outcomes or combinations in a given scenario.

3. How do you simplify a sum involving binomial coefficients?

To simplify a sum involving binomial coefficients, we can use the binomial theorem, which states that (a + b)^n = ∑(nCr*a^(n-r)*b^r), where ∑ represents the sum over all values of r from 0 to n. This allows us to simplify the sum by plugging in the values of a and b and using the formula for binomial coefficients.

4. Can binomial coefficients be negative?

No, binomial coefficients cannot be negative. They represent the number of possible combinations, and negative numbers do not make sense in this context. If a binomial coefficient is calculated to be negative, it is most likely a sign that an error was made in the calculation.

5. What are some real-world applications of evaluating sums involving binomial coefficients?

Evaluating sums involving binomial coefficients has many real-world applications, such as predicting the outcomes of coin tosses or card draws, analyzing the probability of genetic traits in offspring, and calculating the number of possible arrangements in a game of Scrabble. It is also used in fields such as economics, engineering, and computer science.