Expectation value of total energy in QM

In summary, the problem asks for the expectation value of W which can be found by multiplying the given Asin(πx/a) e^((-i Eot)/ħ) by the QM operator. The mistake was made in solving for W^2 and the energy. The missing A and sin(πx/a) were replaced with .
FadeToBen

Homework Statement

The problem asks me to find the expectation value of W.

Homework Equations

The given ψ[x,t] is Asin(πx/a) e^((-i Eot)/ħ).
By QM postulate 2 the QM operator of W is: iħ δ/δt or equivalently -ħ/i δ/δt.

The Attempt at a Solution

<w>=∫ψ*iħδ/δtψ= iħδ/δt 1/(2e^(-iEot/)ħ) sin(πx/a) e^(iEot/ħ) dx

I am trying to wrap my head around what is going on so far. Solving for A in the wave equation would require you to normalize and integrate. You then put the normalized wave function times the QM operator and solve for the expectation value. When solving for position this is no problemo. I hit a snag when solving for W and W^2. I thought that for energy you would be integrating with respect to time, which i was informed was incorrect.
We happened to glaze over this problem in class, but the time term from inside the wave function was brought out to cancel the partial wrt time.

I know that for my above attempt I messed up my U substitution pretty badly. I would just like some clarification on how the treatment of solving for W differs from position.

Thanks ahead of time helping this QM neophyte.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Ben, welcome to PF :)

The idea is that from part 1 of the template a complete problem is formulated. Plus a list of variables, given/known data. In part 2 you provide the relevant equations and in part 3 your attempt at solution. Can't be all that hard.

So you are given the ##\psi(x, t) = A\; \sin(\pi x/a)\; e^{-i{E_0t\over \hbar}}## and they ask for ##<E>## ?

Your relevant formula is ##<Y> = \int \; \psi^*\; Y\psi ## for an operator Y

and the operator W for the Energy is ##i\hbar\; {\partial \over \partial t}##

and your attempt starts off filling that in: ## <W> = \int \ \psi^*\; i\hbar {\partial \over \partial t} \psi ## which is good.

Then I detect a slight derailment:
  • the ##A^*\;A## are missing
  • one ##\sin## is missing
  • the differentiation kind of went wrong. ##{de^{-kx}\over dx} = ## . . .
  • the ##{\partial \over \partial t}## has been moved to the left of ##\psi^*## which is really bad: ##\psi^*\; {\partial \over \partial t} \psi \ne {\partial \over \partial t} \psi^* \psi ## !
and yes, the integration gives an expectation value of the energy as a function of time. The integration is over x.

PS the ##A^*\;A## are really useful: look at that expression and at the expression for <E> and realize that you don't have to do any work (integrating) at alll here !

(bit of a spoiler, but a gentle intro into QM is a good thing)

Related to Expectation value of total energy in QM

What is the expectation value of total energy in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value of total energy in quantum mechanics is the average value of the total energy of a system, calculated using the principles of quantum mechanics. It is a measure of the most likely outcome of a measurement of the total energy of a system.

How is the expectation value of total energy calculated?

The expectation value of total energy is calculated by taking the integral of the total energy operator over all possible states of the system, weighted by the probability of each state occurring.

What is the significance of the expectation value of total energy in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value of total energy is significant because it allows us to predict the most likely energy of a system based on its quantum state. It also serves as a useful tool for understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

Can the expectation value of total energy be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of total energy can be negative in quantum mechanics. This indicates that the system has a greater probability of having lower energy states than higher energy states.

How does the expectation value of total energy relate to the uncertainty principle?

The expectation value of total energy is related to the uncertainty principle in that it represents the most likely energy of a system, while the uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the energy of a system, the less precisely we can know its position, and vice versa. This means that the expectation value of total energy can never be known with complete certainty.