Explaining Ionic Bombardment for Power Transformers

• Thread starter EverGreen1231
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic
In summary, the conversation discusses a program being created to compute the performance quality of power transformers and the process of writing a description of DGA. The individual has a question about the role of ionic bombardment in fault gases and clarifies that it is not the same as fission.
EverGreen1231
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this thread.

I'm putting together a program that computes the performance quality of power transformers for the company I'm working for. I'm in the process of writing down a description of the DGA (Dissolved Gas Analysis) of the oil in the transformer main tank.
One of thing that isn't quite clear to me is, according to the IEE Standards, fault gases that are formed within the transformer due to low energy discharges and coronal discharges are mainly caused by ionic bombardment. Could someone give me an explanation of what ionic bombardment means? Is it similar to the process of fission?

Much obliged,
-Tyler.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I use the phrase "ionic bombardment", I mean a beam of charged atoms impinging on a surface. This will result in defects in the material, and the modification of materials by ion beams is as very large area of research for materials scientists. This isn't like nuclear fission at all, which is where a nucleus splits into two.

FAQ: Explaining Ionic Bombardment for Power Transformers

1. What is ionic bombardment in relation to power transformers?

Ionic bombardment is a process in which ions, or charged particles, are accelerated and directed towards a target material. In power transformers, this process is used to modify the surface of the transformer's insulation material, improving its electrical properties and increasing its lifespan.

2. How does ionic bombardment affect the performance of power transformers?

Ionic bombardment can improve the performance of power transformers in several ways. It can reduce the levels of moisture and contaminants on the surface of the insulation material, thereby reducing the risk of electrical breakdown. It can also increase the surface tension and strength of the material, making it more resistant to wear and tear.

3. What types of ions are typically used in ionic bombardment for power transformers?

The most common ions used in ionic bombardment for power transformers are oxygen and nitrogen ions. These ions are chosen for their ability to penetrate and modify the surface of the insulation material without causing damage. Other types of ions, such as argon and hydrogen, may also be used depending on the specific needs of the transformer.

4. Is ionic bombardment a safe process for power transformers?

Yes, ionic bombardment is a safe process for power transformers when conducted by trained professionals in a controlled environment. The equipment used for ionic bombardment is designed to prevent any harm to individuals and the surrounding environment. However, it is important to follow all safety protocols and regulations to ensure the process is carried out safely.

5. How often should ionic bombardment be performed on power transformers?

The frequency of ionic bombardment for power transformers varies depending on the specific conditions and requirements of the transformer. In most cases, it is recommended to conduct ionic bombardment every few years to maintain optimal performance and extend the lifespan of the transformer. However, this may vary based on factors such as the age and operating conditions of the transformer.

Back