Explore the Stars with Google Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with using Google Earth, particularly with finding the sky-space directly above the user. The speaker also mentions wanting to use the app to identify stars and asks for tips.
budd
when you log into google Earth it seems to go generally above where i am. when i press the sky button on it does it show the sky-space directly above me? I'm very new to this as you might tell. very clear skies tonight though so i thought i'd try to get my bearings on a few stars. any tips also? tx

Astronomy news on Phys.org
When I start Google Earth, it is centered over the US and nowhere near where I am (on the east coast). When I click "explore sky", I get a close-up of the galaxy M-101, with a bunch of menu options around it... After a quick look, I don't see how to set a location, though.

you can set a home position, and set it to go to home
(sorry not installed here so I can tell you which menu)

Related to Explore the Stars with Google Earth

What is "Explore the Stars with Google Earth"?

"Explore the Stars with Google Earth" is a feature on Google Earth that allows users to view and learn about various stars, constellations, and other celestial bodies in the night sky.

How can I access "Explore the Stars with Google Earth"?

To access "Explore the Stars with Google Earth", open Google Earth on your computer or mobile device. Then, click on the "Voyager" tab and select "Explore the Stars" from the list of options.

What information can I find on "Explore the Stars with Google Earth"?

"Explore the Stars with Google Earth" provides information on over 100,000 stars, including their names, distances from Earth, and magnitudes. It also includes information on constellations, galaxies, and other celestial objects.

Can I customize my viewing experience on "Explore the Stars with Google Earth"?

Yes, you can customize your viewing experience on "Explore the Stars with Google Earth" by adjusting the brightness and opacity of the stars and constellations. You can also turn on or off labels and adjust the time and date to view the night sky at different points in time.

Is "Explore the Stars with Google Earth" accurate?

Yes, "Explore the Stars with Google Earth" is accurate. The data and images used are provided by various space agencies, including NASA, and are regularly updated to ensure accuracy.