Exploring Atomic Partons: Probability Plot for n=2, l=1, m=0 in Hydrogen

• Thread starter Bob_for_short
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atomic
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of considering each sub-cloud in an atomic orbital as an "elementary" particle with fractional charge, and whether this would be misleading. The speaker argues that this would not be correct, as it is simply a pattern imposed by the observer and does not reflect the actual charge of the particles. They also mention the similarity to the parton model for protons, but the other speaker disagrees and states that it has no connection to fractional charge.
Bob_for_short
Let us consider an atomic orbital, for example n=2, l=1, m=0 in Hydrogen. The probability plot is given in the figure attached. This picture can be obtained experimentally: via X-ray and elastic electron scattering. Each negative sub-cloud carries a fractional charge. Fortunately, we have quantum mechanics to explain it but if the scattering experiments had been carried out before QM establishing, would we have advanced a parton-like hypothesis for atoms?

I do not know if it would be correct to consider each sub-cloud as an "elementary" particle with a fractional charge. Do you?

Attachments

• 320.JPG
    320.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's no more correct than to say that the left half of the 1s distribution has charge 1/2 and the right half also has charge 1/2.

I did not understand your phrase.

I wanted to say that considering each sub-cloud as originating from some elementary particles (atomic partons) would be misleading.

Dividing the orbital into "subclouds" is imposing your sense of pattern recognition on it. There's nothing whatsoever like a particle with fractional charge.

This pattern can be observed experimentally, can't it?

Why we advance a parton model for protons? Following the experimental pattern.

Bob, this is silly. An electron has charge -1. The fact that it has a probability distribution doesn't mean anything has a factional charge.

Vanadium 50 said:
Bob, this is silly. An electron has charge -1. The fact that it has a probability distribution doesn't mean anything has a factional charge.

I completely agree with you. Concerning atoms, I speak of a purely hypothetical situation. But it is similar to the deep inelastic scattering interpretation, isn't it?

No Bob, it has nothing whatsoever to do with fractional charge and DIS.

I have answered your question four times now. This thread is done.

Related to Exploring Atomic Partons: Probability Plot for n=2, l=1, m=0 in Hydrogen

1. What are atomic partons?

Atomic partons are the subatomic particles that make up an atom. These include protons, neutrons, and electrons.

2. What is the significance of the probability plot for n=2, l=1, m=0 in Hydrogen?

The probability plot for n=2, l=1, m=0 in Hydrogen shows the likelihood of finding an electron in a specific region around the nucleus. This is important in understanding the electron's energy levels and behavior within the atom.

3. How is the probability plot created for atomic partons?

The probability plot is created using mathematical equations and models, such as the Schrödinger equation, to calculate the probability of finding an atomic parton in a specific location within the atom.

4. What is the role of n, l, and m in the probability plot for atomic partons?

N, l, and m are quantum numbers that describe the energy level, angular momentum, and magnetic orientation of an atomic parton, respectively. These values determine the shape and orientation of the probability plot.

5. How does the probability plot for atomic partons help us understand the structure of an atom?

The probability plot shows the areas where atomic partons are most likely to be found, giving us insight into the overall structure and organization of the atom. It also helps us understand the behavior and interactions of these particles within the atom.

Back