Exploring Monoid Rings in Aluffi's Algebra: Chapter 0

In summary, Paolo Aluffi's book, Algebra: Chapter 0, discusses monoid rings in Chapter III, Section 1.4. The monoid ring R[M] is obtained by formal linear combinations of elements from the ring R and the monoid M. The coefficients, r_m, are formal elements of R and a_m are nonzero for only finitely many summands. There seems to be a typo in the text where r_m should be read as a_m.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paolo Aluffi's book, Algebra: Chapter 0.

I have a question related to Aluffi's description of monoid rings ... ...

In Chapter III, Section 1.4 on monoid rings, we read the following:View attachment 4476
View attachment 4477

In the above text we find:"Given a monoid \(\displaystyle (M, \cdot )\) and a ring \(\displaystyle R\), we can obtain a new ring \(\displaystyle R[M]\) as follows.Elements of \(\displaystyle R[M]\) are formal linear combinations

\(\displaystyle \sum_{ m \in M} a_m \cdot m \)

where the 'coefficients' \(\displaystyle r_m\) are formal elements of \(\displaystyle R\) and \(\displaystyle a_m \ne 0\) for at most finitely many summands ... ... "
My question is as follows:What are the \(\displaystyle r_m\) exactly and what is their relation to the a_m ... ?Is it a typo ... that is does Aluffi mean .." ... ... where the 'coefficients' \(\displaystyle a_m\) are formal elements of \(\displaystyle R\) ... " ... that is ... does he mean \(\displaystyle a_m\) where he writes \(\displaystyle r_m\)?Hope someone can clarify this issue for me ... ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

I'm pretty sure that it's a typo, read it as $a_{m}$.

Fallen Angel said:
Hi Peter,

I'm pretty sure that it's a typo, read it as $a_{m}$.
Thanks Fallen Angel ... certainly thought it might be ... but was not completely confident that I was not missing something ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Related to Exploring Monoid Rings in Aluffi's Algebra: Chapter 0

1. What is the purpose of exploring monoid rings in Aluffi's Algebra: Chapter 0?

The purpose of exploring monoid rings in Aluffi's Algebra: Chapter 0 is to introduce readers to the concept of monoid rings and their properties. Monoid rings are an important algebraic structure that have applications in various fields of mathematics, including algebraic geometry and number theory.

2. How does Aluffi define monoid rings?

According to Aluffi, a monoid ring is a formal expression of the form ∑i=1^n aimi, where ai are elements of a commutative ring R and mi are elements of a monoid M. This formal expression can be thought of as a sum of monomials, where each monomial is a product of an element from R and an element from M.

3. What are the main properties of monoid rings?

The main properties of monoid rings include associativity, commutativity, and distributivity. Monoid rings also have a multiplicative identity element, which is the identity element of the monoid M. Additionally, monoid rings satisfy the left and right cancellation properties, meaning that if two elements in the ring can be multiplied to give the same result, then they are equal.

4. How are monoid rings used in algebraic geometry?

In algebraic geometry, monoid rings are used to study geometric objects defined by polynomial equations. These objects, called affine varieties, can be described using monoid rings by considering the set of all solutions to a system of polynomial equations over a field. Monoid rings also have applications in the study of toric varieties, a class of algebraic varieties that can be described using monoid rings.

5. What are some real-world applications of monoid rings?

Monoid rings have various real-world applications, including in coding theory, where they are used to construct error-correcting codes. They are also used in the study of dynamical systems, where they can be used to represent and analyze the behavior of certain systems. In addition, monoid rings have applications in cryptography, specifically in the construction of public-key cryptosystems.