Expressing sin/cos(2θ) in terms of x....

• MHB
  • Thread starter TrigEatsMe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, to express cos(2θ) in terms of x when x+1 = 3sin(θ), 0<θ<π/2, we can use the identity cos(2θ) = 1 - 2sin^2(θ) and substitute in the value for sin(θ) from the given equation. This results in cos(2θ) = (7 - 4x - 2x^2)/9.
TrigEatsMe
For the question,
If x = 3cos(θ), 0<θ<π/2, express sin(2θ) in terms of x.

I confirmed that the following is correct:
sin(2θ)=(2x/9)√(9-x^2)

But for this next one...the x+1 is throwing me through a loop or something.

If x+1 = 3sin(θ), 0<θ<π/2, express cos(2θ) in terms of x.

cos(2θ) = fail

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
TrigEatsMe said:
For the question,
If x = 3cos(θ), 0<θ<π/2, express sin(2θ) in terms of x.

I confirmed that the following is correct:
sin(2θ)=(2x/9)√(9-x^2)

But for this next one...the x+1 is throwing me through a loop or something.

If x+1 = 3sin(θ), 0<θ<π/2, express cos(2θ) in terms of x.

cos(2θ) = fail

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \cos{ \left( 2\theta \right) } &= 1 - 2\sin^2{ \left( \theta \right) } \\ &= 1 - 2 \left( \frac{x + 1}{3} \right) ^2 \\ &= 1 - 2 \left( \frac{x^2 + 2x + 1}{9} \right) \\ &= 1 - \frac{2x^2 + 4x + 2}{9} \\ &= \frac{9}{9} - \frac{2x^2 + 4x + 2}{9} \\ &= \frac{7 - 4x - 2x^2}{9} \end{align*}$

FAQ: Expressing sin/cos(2θ) in terms of x....

1. How do you express sin(2θ) in terms of x?

To express sin(2θ) in terms of x, we can use the double angle formula for sine: sin(2θ) = 2sinθcosθ. Then, we can substitute x for θ to get the expression in terms of x: sin(2x) = 2sinxcosx.

2. Can cos(2θ) be written in terms of x?

Yes, cos(2θ) can be expressed in terms of x using the double angle formula for cosine: cos(2θ) = cos²θ - sin²θ. Then, we can substitute x for θ to get the expression in terms of x: cos(2x) = cos²x - sin²x.

3. What is the relationship between sin(2θ) and cos(2θ)?

The relationship between sin(2θ) and cos(2θ) is given by the Pythagorean identity: sin²(2θ) + cos²(2θ) = 1. This means that they are complementary functions, with one being the square root of the difference of 1 and the other.

4. How do you use the double angle formulas to express sin/cos(2θ) in terms of x?

To express sin/cos(2θ) in terms of x, we can use the double angle formulas for sine and cosine: sin(2θ) = 2sinθcosθ and cos(2θ) = cos²θ - sin²θ. Then, we can substitute x for θ to get the expressions in terms of x: sin(2x) = 2sinxcosx and cos(2x) = cos²x - sin²x.

5. Why is it useful to express sin/cos(2θ) in terms of x?

Expressing sin/cos(2θ) in terms of x can be useful in many applications, such as solving trigonometric equations, simplifying trigonometric expressions, and graphing trigonometric functions. It allows us to use familiar x-values instead of angles in radians, making calculations and interpretations easier.