F_{t} = 0 lbForce on Pilot at Lowest Point of Plane

• Thread starter KillerZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the force the seat exerts on the pilot is the weight of the pilot + the centripetal force.
KillerZ

Homework Statement

The plane is traveling at a constant speed of 800 ft/s along the curve y = 20(10^-6)x^2 + 5000, where x and y are in feet. If the pilot has a weight of 180 lb, determine the normal and tangential components of the force the seat exerts on the pilot when the plane is at its lowest point.

imulqg.png

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum F = ma[/tex]

[tex]\rho = \frac{[1 + (dy/dx)^{2}]^{3/2}}{|d^{2}y/dx^{2}|}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD:

nduaee.png

[tex]\uparrow\sum F_{n} = ma_{n}[/tex]

[tex]N - 180lb = (180lb/32.2ft/s^{2})((800ft/s)^{2}/\rho)[/tex]

[tex]\rightarrow\sum F_{t} = ma_{t}[/tex]

[tex]0 = (180lb/32.2ft/s^{2})a_{t}[/tex]

[tex]a_{t} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\rho = \frac{[1 + (4x10^{-4}x)^{2}]^{3/2}}{|4x10^{-4}|}[/tex]

x = 0

[tex]\rho = 2500 ft[/tex]

[tex]N - 180lb = (180lb/32.2ft/s^{2})((800ft/s)^{2}/2500ft)[/tex]

[tex]N = 1611.06 lb[/tex]

Attachments

• imulqg.png
    imulqg.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 528
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the algebraic solution and plug in the numbers. Otherwise it is very hard to follow your reasoning.

The force on the seat is the weight of the pilot + the centripetal force. I think that is what you have shown in your diagram.

To find the centripetal force you have to find the radius of curvature. Since this is a parabolic curve, you have to find the radius of the circle that approximates the parabola at the vertex. You seem to have worked that out to be 2500 ft. I don't think that is right.

I think the radius of curvature at the vertex is the distance from the parabola to the focus. The focus is p where x^2 = 4py. Since in this case, 1/4p = 20 x 10^-6 = 1/50,000, the radius, p, should be 50,000/4.

AM

KillerZ said:

Homework Statement

The plane is traveling at a constant speed of 800 ft/s along the curve y = 20(10^-6)x^2 + 5000, where x and y are in feet. If the pilot has a weight of 180 lb, determine the normal and tangential components of the force the seat exerts on the pilot when the plane is at its lowest point.

imulqg.png

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum F = ma[/tex]

[tex]\rho = \frac{[1 + (dy/dx)^{2}]^{3/2}}{|d^{2}y/dx^{2}|}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD:

nduaee.png

[tex]\uparrow\sum F_{n} = ma_{n}[/tex]

[tex]N - 180lb = (180lb/32.2ft/s^{2})((800ft/s)^{2}/\rho)[/tex]

[tex]\rightarrow\sum F_{t} = ma_{t}[/tex]

[tex]0 = (180lb/32.2ft/s^{2})a_{t}[/tex]

[tex]a_{t} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\rho = \frac{[1 + (4x10^{-5}x)^{2}]^{3/2}}{|4x10^{-5}|}[/tex]
x = 0

[tex]\rho = 25000 ft[/tex]

[tex]N - 180lb = (180lb/32.2ft/s^{2})((800ft/s)^{2}/25000ft)[/tex]

[tex]N = 323 lb = F_{n}[/tex]
[tex]F_{t} = 0[/tex]

thanks for the help.

I checked the back of the book and the answer is F_n = 323 lb so I looked over my work I made a mistake on the p its 25000 ft not 2500 ft I messed up my derivative of y = 20(10^-6)x^2.

Ok, so the radius of curvature of the circle at the vertex is 2p not p. I stand corrected.

AM

Related to F_{t} = 0 lbForce on Pilot at Lowest Point of Plane

1. What does "F_{t} = 0 lbForce on Pilot at Lowest Point of Plane" mean?

This equation is referring to the net force acting on a pilot when they are at the lowest point of a plane's flight. Specifically, it states that the total force (F_{t}) acting on the pilot is equal to zero pounds (lb) at this point.

2. Why is the force on the pilot equal to zero at the lowest point of the plane?

The force on the pilot is equal to zero at the lowest point of the plane because the pilot is experiencing a state of weightlessness, also known as freefall. This means that the force of gravity is being counteracted by an equal and opposite force, resulting in a net force of zero on the pilot.

3. What factors affect the force on the pilot at the lowest point of the plane?

The force on the pilot at the lowest point of the plane is primarily affected by the acceleration of the plane and the altitude at which the plane is flying. The angle of descent and any external forces, such as wind or turbulence, may also have an impact on the force experienced by the pilot.

4. Is the force on the pilot always zero at the lowest point of the plane?

No, the force on the pilot is not always zero at the lowest point of the plane. The equation F_{t} = 0 lbForce on Pilot at Lowest Point of Plane assumes that the plane is flying at a constant speed and angle of descent. If there are changes in these factors, the force on the pilot may be different.

5. How does the force on the pilot change as the plane continues to descend?

As the plane continues to descend, the force on the pilot will change depending on the acceleration and angle of descent. If the plane is accelerating, the force on the pilot will increase. Similarly, if the angle of descent becomes steeper, the force on the pilot will also increase. However, if the plane is maintaining a constant speed and angle of descent, the force on the pilot will remain at zero until the plane reaches the ground.