Factor: bca² + bcd² + adb² + adc²

• MHB
  • Thread starter SweatingBear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adc
In summary, the conversation was about factoring the expression bca^2 + bcd^2 + adb^2 +adc^2, which can be factored into (ab + cd)(ac + bd). The person seeking help tried factoring by grouping and other methods, but eventually found success through trial and error. The conversation also mentioned the importance of practice in solving non-trivial factoring problems.
SweatingBear
The task is to factor

\(\displaystyle bca^2 + bcd^2 + adb^2 +adc^2\),

which undeniably is a non-trivial one. It turns out that the expression can be factored into \(\displaystyle (ab + cd)(ac + bd)\). I have absolutely no idea what strategy to employ in non-trivial cases such as these (although I did attempt factoring by grouping, however to no real avail). Forum, got any clues/suggestions/tips? Anything helps!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
sweatingbear said:
The task is to factor

which undeniably is a non-trivial one. It turns out that the expression can be factored into \(\displaystyle (ab + cd)(ac + bd)\). I have absolutely no idea what strategy to employ in non-trivial cases such as these (although I did attempt factoring by grouping, however to no real avail). Forum, got any clues/suggestions/tips? Anything helps!

try to group it
bca^2 + bcd^2 + adb^2 +adc^2
= bc(a^2+d^2) + ad(b^2 + c^2)
no

bca^2 + adb^2 + bcd^2 + adc^2
= ab( ac+ bd) + bc(bd + ad) ( I got it)
= ( ac+bd)(ab+ cd)

it is done

did you miss something

sweatingbear said:
The task is to factor

Essentially it comes down to trial and error and practice.

I would seek to factor \(\displaystyle bc \) from the first two terms and \(\displaystyle ad\) from the second two simply because they stand out to me.

\(\displaystyle bc(a^2+d^2) + ad(b^2+c^2)\). This just leads to a dead end though.

Let's try \(\displaystyle ab\) and \(\displaystyle cd\) respectively (some question setters aren't very imaginative (Wink))

\(\displaystyle ab(ac +db) + cd(bd + ac) = ab(ac+bd) + cd(ac+bd)\)

Now I have \(\displaystyle ac+bd\) in both terms I can factor again to get the answer:

\(\displaystyle (ac+bd)(ab+cd)\)

Thanks a lot, looks like trial-and-error will have to do.

I would suggest approaching this problem using algebraic techniques and properties. One strategy could be to look for common factors among the terms, such as b or d. We can rewrite the expression as (bca^2 + bcd^2) + (adb^2 + adc^2) and then factor out the common factor of b, giving us b(ca^2 + cd^2) + d(ad^2 + ac^2). From there, we can factor out another common factor of a from the first grouping and c from the second grouping, giving us ab(c + d) + cd(a + d). We can then use the distributive property to rearrange the terms and factor out the common factor of (c + d), giving us (ab + cd)(c + d). This is close to the desired factorization of (ab + cd)(ac + bd), and we can rearrange the terms using the commutative property to get the final result. It is important to remember that factoring can often involve trial and error, and it may take multiple attempts to find the correct solution. Additionally, it can be helpful to check the final factorization by expanding it back out to the original expression to ensure it is correct.

Related to Factor: bca² + bcd² + adb² + adc²

What is the purpose of the factor bca² + bcd² + adb² + adc²?

The purpose of this factor is to represent a mathematical expression that combines variables b, c, and d raised to different powers. It can be used to simplify and solve equations involving these variables.

How do you expand the factor bca² + bcd² + adb² + adc²?

To expand this factor, you can use the FOIL method, which stands for "first, outer, inner, last." This involves multiplying the first terms (bc), then the outer terms (ad), then the inner terms (bc), and finally the last terms (ad). The result will be a simplified expression.

What are the similarities and differences between this factor and the quadratic formula?

Both the factor bca² + bcd² + adb² + adc² and the quadratic formula involve variables raised to different powers. However, the quadratic formula is used to solve equations with only one variable, while this factor can be used for equations with multiple variables.

How can this factor be applied in real-world situations?

This factor can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to represent and solve equations involving multiple variables. For example, it can be used in calculating the cost of materials for a construction project or in analyzing the relationship between different factors in a scientific experiment.

What are some possible limitations of using this factor in mathematical equations?

One limitation is that this factor may not work for more complex equations with additional terms or variables. Additionally, it may be difficult to determine the appropriate values for the variables in real-world situations, making it challenging to use this factor in practical applications.