Failing trigonometry = the death of a amatuer physicist

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration and struggle of a student who failed a math class and is now questioning their abilities and dreams of becoming a physicist. They seek advice and guidance from others who have also struggled with math, and receive encouragement to keep trying and find alternative ways to understand the subject. The importance of finding a good teacher and using multiple resources is also emphasized.
kaos86
I feel so shamed of myself. I don't know who to blame. The teacher gives the exact same lessons on the book, but never follow how you should answer your trig. problems. I studied all through the week and even late at night. I got a C in the class, but I really want to be a physicist because I love math. Math is like a fun puzzle to solve. I feel like my dreams are dying and theoretical physics may be a fool's dream. Can anybody cheer me up? Has any physicist failed a math class and later on in life did very good on other math subjects.

My strong points are formulas and equations. And yet! I'm doing bad in trigonometry.
Some guidance would help me in my academic issues.

Thank you for those who took time reading my dilemma.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tough to say. Can you understand by yourself WHY you are doing poorly in Trigonometry? Are you merely weak in some aspect of Trig. or are you deficient in some prerequisite for Trig? Also, do not fool yourself with grades from your prerequisite courses leading to the Trigonometry course. A grade no matter what it be above D does not mean that you fully understood everything needed for the course which follow or for the courses in which you earned the grade. To be very brief, RESTUDY!

Don’t try to be a great man, just be a man. . . --Zephren Cochrane Star Trek: First Contact

kaos86 said:
Can anybody cheer me up? Has any physicist failed a math class and later on in life did very good on other math subjects.

My strong points are formulas and equations. And yet! I'm doing bad in trigonometry.

:smile: :smile: :smile: let's see.. .1... 2... 3... yup, failed 3 math classes in college alone and I'm one of hte better mathematically inclined grad students in my department.

There are some BAD teachers out there. Plus there are some subjects that you just don't get the first time around or even the second but hopefully at some point, something will click or you'll find a good professor or your countless hours of studying will simply brute force the information into your brain :)

Don't worry to much about it. I'm not a physics major but I failed two math classes and a lot of classmates say I'm great at math. If you have to take trig again, its not a big deal.

It's that I don't understand why this damn professor wanted the classroom to do the homework on the book, yet he gives a different answer to any subject and the book does not clarify how we should answer the trig problem. I find it stupid and he is a bad teacher if he leaves out important examples that we must know.

If that's not the case, maybe I should quit and accept that I have no talent at anything. I'm sorry to vent off or go angry, but I think the education system in Florida sucks so much it can be compared to a prostitute giving oral. I' am happy that everyone reply my topic and I thank all of you who did.

Last edited:
What I've found is using multiple references to a subject can really clear things up. Check out other Trig books and see if that helps. It's a lot more work but might save you. Good luck.

I'm currently working on a theoretical physics PhD, and I didn't stand out in my high school math classes until taking calculus. I never took the class called 'trigonometry', but in my junior year of high school I decided I wanted to do physics and I found out that calculus was imporant, so I went sraight from a B- in algebra 2 to an A in calculus. The year after that I encouraged a high school friend do the exact same thing (they went on to be a math major as an undergrad and went to grad school in eonomics).

Looking back, the problem was that I never saw anything close to the 'big picture' in math until calculus. I say hang in there until then...

I just started taking college classes again this semester, after an 8 year break. The last time I used trig was in 2001. I'm taking the first semester of calc-based physics this semester, and it uses a lot of trig. That was my biggest weakness coming into the class.

After a few weeks, a lot of the trig is just second nature. It took a little bit of time to get up to speed, but it wasn't that hard to re-learn "on the fly," so to speak.

kaos86 said:
It's that I don't understand why this damn professor wanted the classroom to do the homework on the book, yet he gives a different answer to any subject and the book does not clarify how we should answer the trig problem. I find it stupid and he is a bad teacher if he leaves out important examples that we must know.

If that's not the case, maybe I should quit and accept that I have no talent at anything. I'm sorry to vent off or go angry, but I think the education system in Florida sucks so much it can be compared to a prostitute giving oral. I' am happy that everyone reply my topic and I thank all of you who did.

Kaos86, the current semester may be a major development semester for you. Trigonometry is somewhat different from "Algebra 2". Before this, you did not study cyclic relationships and the two or more ways to represent cyclic information. You may currently be struggling with how to study Trigonometry. As frustrated as you are right now, you may be learning how to study Trigonometry, and you might not know this for another 2, 3, 5, or 6 more months.

How is your Algebra? If it is basically good, then after you are done struggling with Trigonometry at the end of the semester, spend the whole summer studying it again, on your own, not attending the course. Then, enroll in it for the Autumn term to study officially for the second time. You should be able then to earn at least a grade of B.

...if he leaves out important examples we must know.

You do not need to know many examples. Maybe the only "examples" you must know are the basic graphs of the functions AND graphs of their inverses. There are really no other examples which you must know. You must know the Unit Circle, for certain, and the common values of functions (sine and cosine) for certain common reference angles. You should know how to derive the angle addition and difference formulas for sine and for cosine. You must know the definitions of the trigonometric functions.

isabelle said:
I'm currently working on a theoretical physics PhD, and I didn't stand out in my high school math classes until taking calculus. I never took the class called 'trigonometry', but in my junior year of high school I decided I wanted to do physics and I found out that calculus was imporant, so I went sraight from a B- in algebra 2 to an A in calculus. The year after that I encouraged a high school friend do the exact same thing (they went on to be a math major as an undergrad and went to grad school in eonomics).

Looking back, the problem was that I never saw anything close to the 'big picture' in math until calculus. I say hang in there until then...

I agree with you isabelle. Hang in there kaos86. Calculus, especially coupled with Physics will be worth your struggles. Don't give up.
"Brick walls are there for a reason. They let us prove how badly we want things."
-Randy Pausch

If you can't derive your identities and formulas and only rely on brute memorization you won't get too far.

Even if you don't remember them the day of your test, if you know how to derive them you should do fine.

I remember sinking to C level in trig. when I was about 13. I fixed it by reading through a good 'programmed text' on trig borrowed from the local library. Any trig. text that 'speaks to you' should do the job. I was soon top of the class again... until the next glitch a few years later :-)

Don't feel ashamed, this kind of thing happens to most people.

"It's that I don't understand why this damn professor wanted the classroom to do the homework on the book..."

You surely will not get very far with that sort of attitude. The professor does not need to learn the material; you do. In the end, you will be the one getting the information you need, or not, as the case may be. Even if he does exactly nothing to help you (which would be fairly uncommon, but not impossible), it is still up to you to learn the material.

Your options at this point are to buckle down and learn the material, or to drop the class and try it again later. Blaming the teacher is simply childish and counter productive.

kaos86 said:
I really want to be a physicist because I love math.
Shouldn't this sentence read. "I really want to be a mathematician because I love math."

Growing up, math was my worst subject. I usually did average work or better, but it was awful compared to my other subjects.

It was even worse in trig. I got a C in high school trig - the worst grade I ever got in my life! - and took Calculus the next year in part to spite the trig teacher who I so loathed, and who told me that I was not capable of doing math.

I had to work very, very hard in calculus, but I got a 4 on the AP test. I majored in math and physics in college (sometimes things I hadn't learned popped up, but I filled in the holes). And strangely, I found that I am very good at abstract ideas and theorems, so I dominated my abstract algebra, linear algebra and differential geometry classes. I'm a decent math student now - I can hold my own. So, yes, there is hope. Don't give up. The thing is that math sometimes just takes a long time. You have to see it many times sometimes. The key is not to give up! And never have too much pride to ask for help.

nbo10 said:
Shouldn't this sentence read. "I really want to be a mathematician because I love math."

I want to be a theoretical physicist {Theoretical physics employs mathematical models and abstractions of physics in an attempt to explain experimental data taken of the natural world. It has been compared to "being a composer on a world without sound ... throwing a bottle into the future, and if we do it right, future generations can use that information." Its central core is mathematical physics 1, though other conceptual techniques are also used.}

Source: Wikipedia.org.

kaos86 said:
I want to be a theoretical physicist {Theoretical physics employs mathematical models and abstractions of physics in an attempt to explain experimental data taken of the natural world. It has been compared to "being a composer on a world without sound ... throwing a bottle into the future, and if we do it right, future generations can use that information." Its central core is mathematical physics 1, though other conceptual techniques are also used.}

Source: Wikipedia.org.

If you're going to become a physicist because you love math, you are going to be disappointed. I would suggest finding a better source than wikipedia to base your judgment on becoming a theoretical physicist.

Dr.D said:
"It's that I don't understand why this damn professor wanted the classroom to do the homework on the book..."

You surely will not get very far with that sort of attitude. The professor does not need to learn the material; you do. In the end, you will be the one getting the information you need, or not, as the case may be. Even if he does exactly nothing to help you (which would be fairly uncommon, but not impossible), it is still up to you to learn the material.

Your options at this point are to buckle down and learn the material, or to drop the class and try it again later. Blaming the teacher is simply childish and counter productive.

You're right. I should not blame the professor. I should blame myself and those damn video games. I've been studying hard now. I've studied so hard that I usually go to sleep at 4:00 am in the morning. This class just built more character in my personality and help me be more serious in my career on Theoretical Physics.

Don't get desperate to learn it, relax & start studying it from scratch, ie, assume that you haven't seen θ, Ψ, α, γ etc before.

Sometimes one overlooks a simple statement & understands it in a wrong or not so correct form & repeats the same mistake time & time again without noticing it. it happens with soo many people. Don't get restless about it, just rethink what you are doing wrong.

nbo10 said:
If you're going to become a physicist because you love math, you are going to be disappointed. I would suggest finding a better source than wikipedia to base your judgment on becoming a theoretical physicist.

Really? There's no math involved in Theoretical Physics. Hmmm. This is very interesting.
Perhaps you should elaborate.

"Failing trigonometry = the death of a amatuer physicist"

No, absolutely not. I didn't do so hot either at trigonometry the first time around. Granted I passed, but it wasn't great. There is a lot of trig. in physics, so you'll have to pick it up. But if you're willing to work at it, you can still succeed in physics. If you keep failing math classes, then it might be best to look at your work ethics or realize maybe this isn't the field for you.

kuahji said:
"Failing trigonometry = the death of a amatuer physicist"

No, absolutely not. I didn't do so hot either at trigonometry the first time around. Granted I passed, but it wasn't great. There is a lot of trig. in physics, so you'll have to pick it up. But if you're willing to work at it, you can still succeed in physics. If you keep failing math classes, then it might be best to look at your work ethics or realize maybe this isn't the field for you.

Some people may need a double or even a triple exposue to some Math courses to be good with them (as tools). Then again, you should become skilled in at least the basics of Trigonometry through its use in the study of Physics. Same thing goes for what Math course come after Trigonometry - you must be willing to study things MORE.

High school is a joke anyway, don't worry. I suggest get a new book on trigonometry and learn it properly. Most of the time when I see people not doing very well in high school mathematics its because they had bad books/ bad teachers which taught them in bad ways. Just teach your self the stuffs, all what you need for trigonometry are pencils and rulers, you can do it.

presario said:
High school is a joke anyway, don't worry. I suggest get a new book on trigonometry and learn it properly. Most of the time when I see people not doing very well in high school mathematics its because they had bad books/ bad teachers which taught them in bad ways. Just teach your self the stuffs, all what you need for trigonometry are pencils and rulers, you can do it.

Very true. I'd suggest taking classes at a community college rather than taking them at high school.

kaos86 said:
I feel so shamed of myself. I don't know who to blame. The teacher gives the exact same lessons on the book, but never follow how you should answer your trig. problems. I studied all through the week and even late at night. I got a C in the class, but I really want to be a physicist because I love math. Math is like a fun puzzle to solve. I feel like my dreams are dying and theoretical physics may be a fool's dream. Can anybody cheer me up? Has any physicist failed a math class and later on in life did very good on other math subjects.

Why not study complex numbers? You can derive many trig identities using the algebra of complex numbers in a straightforward way using only the identity:

exp(ix) = cos(x) + i sin(x) (1)

This identity can be interpreted as the definition of cos and sin (sometimes it is introduced as defining exp(ix), but you can just as well define exp(z) first and then define the trigonometric function in terms of the exponential function).

This then has the advantage that you only use the properties of the exponential function in derivations. You don't need any geometry, triangles and what have you more.

E.g. if you square (1), you get:

exp(2 i x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) + 2 i cos(x) sin(x)

Biut exp(2 i x) can also be obtained by treplacing x by 2 x in (1):

exp(2 i x) = cos(2 x) + i sin(2 x)

Equating the real and imaginary parts then yields:

cos(2 x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x)

sin(2 x) = 2 sin(x) cos(x)

Another well known identity can be derived as follows:

exp(i x) exp(-i x) = 1 ------>

[cos(x) + i sin(x)][cos(x) - i sin(x)] = 1 ----->

cos^2(x) + sin^2(x) = 1

"You don't need any geometry, triangles and what have you more."

You may not need geometry for manipulating triangle relations, but there is a great need for geometry in understanding physics. I'd say that was a considerable overstatement.

"High school is a joke anyway..."

This is true only for those who chose to make it a joke. It need not be if you really want to learn something. I still regularly make use of information that I learned in high school over 50 years ago.

The worldly wisdom of the young is an amazing thing!

kaos86 said:

Theoretical physics requires very good math aptitude. If you have the aptitude, you can dedicate yourself to learn everything you need along the way. One bad grade doesn't mean much, as long as ability is not the reason for the failure.

Personal story: I was in the lowest math classes until 11th grade because I failed many math classes. They were so boring I never paid attention. Then, I took SATs and got 700 on the math portion. The teachers and administrators were all very embarassed by this. This resulted in me being put in 3 math classes as a senior - advanced algebra & trig, algebra 1 and algebra 2. Then I took calculus in the summer before college started. Now I have a PhD in electrical engineeing and know all types of mathematics including tensor calculus.

This was many years ago. Recently I've heard that the US math teaching system is very poor now. Don't let others determine your fate. Go for it!

Last edited:
Count Iblis said:
Why not study complex numbers? You can derive many trig identities using the algebra of complex numbers in a straightforward way using only the identity:

exp(ix) = cos(x) + i sin(x) (1)
it won't do anything but confuse him further

High school is a joke anyway, don't worry.
so true, can't be any truer:wink:

This is true only for those who chose to make it a joke.

no its not, your case just didn't belong to this category,
Most of the time when I see people not doing very well in high school mathematics its because they had bad books/ bad teachers which taught them in bad ways.
which is precisely the reason.

Alright here goes. In high school, I was in the low-level math courses.
So i went through math at half pace. Scored in the low 400's on my
math SAT. D average even in those courses.
Now for the college rundown.
Major-pre Med
Pre-Calc A-
Calculus I B
Physics I and II A, A-

Current Major-CompSci
CompSciI=A-
Discrete Math=B-
CompSci II=Running an A
Calculus II=Running an A
Self studying linear algebra
Oh and if you think I have easy professors, lol
I can do some proofs, tough problems in my textbooks,
and I can program very well,
I guess the colleges around here have higher standards
for teaching. I may sound arrogrant, lol but take this into
perspective.

Well, honestly you shouldn't beat yourself up bad about it, as long as you get at least a C you're doing well enough. To me it's the lowest acceptable grade in a math class...and besides...at least it's not a D!

At my high school I had a HORRIBLE teacher for Intermediate Algebra. He was from Colombia and after living here for like 20 years he still hadn't lost a pinch of his accent. Well I failed the first semester and barely got a D in the second, so I retook it next year and replaced that F with a C (it was a B for the longest time, but i think i messed up on one exam). There were other kids in that class that were getting high A's and High B's and I was getting a C, but since my teacher knew that I could do the math and was pretty good at it, he would use my papers (homework and classwork) as the answer key!

So just because you aren't doing well (gradewise) you might just not be cut out for math! But physics is different from Math, it's got math, and some of it is very close to just being another math class, but Physics is NOT math (again, very math intensive, but a totally different thing at the same time). I took Physics for a semester to try it out and loved it! In all of the class I was in the lowest level math in all of my physics class, I was in the first semester of Precalc and everyone else was in AP Calc BC (that's Calculus 2). I did exceptionally well! Again, my grade was like a B, but I did really well with the topics and the math and everything (I just didn't really do any homework...neither did anyone else). Out of all 12 of us, only two of us could actually understand what was happening in that class and that was me and this kid named Jonjon, and jonjon went to the best high school in the country up until 10th grade, BASIS Charter School (if you don't start at that school in 4th or 5th grade, you WILL fail...horribly...Algebra 1 in 7th, Algebra 2 in 8th, and Precalc in 9th)

So don't feel bad, you can be decent or even horrible at math and still do great! As long as you like doing Physics, you should do perfectly fine...This is from my experience though...so yeah...Good Luck!

presario said:
High school is a joke anyway, don't worry.

What could that possibly mean? I'm serious, what does that even mean? In what universe is that constructive advice?

Don't even get me started with high school math.

thrill3rnit3 said:
Don't even get me started with high school math.

Respectfully, that's not an answer.

Cantab Morgan said:
Respectfully, that's not an answer.

I wasn't trying to answer the original poster. I was following up the previous posts which were about how bad high school is.