Failing trigonometry = the death of a amatuer physicist

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration and struggle of a student who failed a math class and is now questioning their abilities and dreams of becoming a physicist. They seek advice and guidance from others who have also struggled with math, and receive encouragement to keep trying and find alternative ways to understand the subject. The importance of finding a good teacher and using multiple resources is also emphasized.
kaos86 said:
I've studied all through the night for the 4th exam and got a "D".
If you stay up all night it's no wonder you fail. You need to take the time, start preparing on time and get a good night sleep before the test. Feeling tired isn't going to help you when doing hard things.

Also, feeling confident is important (even if you think you don't really master the material). If you think you suck and going to fail, well, you are. If you pretend to be the best math student that ever existed, you'll do a lot better on things you never even thought you could do.

Physics news on Phys.org
kaos86 said:
well, tomorrows the big final exam for trig(April 29). I know I'm going to fail this damn class. I wanted to study but for what? I already Know I'm going to fail the exam. Those of you who are wondering "why not study?" its because its hopeless. I've studied all through the night for the 4th exam and got a "D". I try, and I try some more. Yet, failure comes in my way with hard work and determination to grasp a career in physics. I feel down and angry. All I'm doing now is playing videos games and watch my dreams die in a wink of an eye.:frown:

Have you at least asked the teacher for help? Or have you asked your buddies in the class to help you out? You'd be surprised at the response if you asked.

By the way, cramming for an obviously hard topic, all throughout the night before the test, is not a good idea. These methods of studying will not get you too far in life, or college.

I got destroyed is maths are the start of what has turned into my physics adventure. I also got C for Maths
But now i have a Undergrad in physics, A Masters, PhD and have been in my dream job for 4 years now.

All i did was mainly teach myself and read about 3-4 books on area i was struggling on which helped. But in the end i went to the head of maths at my school and just asked for help (I found the head of the department to be a much better teacher as he still had passion for the subject)

But you can always retake maths it is no big deal at all, and should not stand in the the way of you becoming a physicist if you want it enough.

Hope this helps.
~N~

Wellesley said:
If teachers could funnel this energy into the classroom, using practical, real world applications in math and science (among other topics), more kids would be interested in school at the very least.

And almost none do so, either they don't want to do it, or they don't know it, latter being more probable. One is very lucky if he gets a teacher like one mentioned above, fortunately my chemistry teacher in high school was just like that, exactly like that:approve:.

well, tomorrows the big final exam for trig(April 29). I know I'm going to fail this damn class. I wanted to study but for what? I already Know I'm going to fail the exam. Those of you who are wondering "why not study?" its because its hopeless. I've studied all through the night for the 4th exam and got a "D". I try, and I try some more. Yet, failure comes in my way with hard work and determination to grasp a career in physics. I feel down and angry. All I'm doing now is playing videos games and watch my dreams die in a wink of an eye.

studying all the time is not a solution, grabbing what one studies is. As calceus already pointed out, trigonometry is a only a one page theory, rest is practice. Relax a bit, format your trig drive:biggrin:, install a fresh copy of trigonometry, install drivers and run your program afresh. you ll do great:wink:. all the best

I did it...I pulled a fast one and I DID IT!

Take a look...

http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grdes.jpg

I pulled an all night study for the finals and made it.

What I've learned from this:

1.) Videos games need to be restricted.(Play them on weekends is better.)

2.) Never be cocky in any class.
(I thought I was a math god because I passed college algebra with an "A".)

3.) Practice a lot. Practice makes perfect.

4.) If I want to study Theoretical Physics, I need to be more serious about it.

Lesson learned! And I thank those who reply in this thread.

Thank you everyone for your tips and experiences. :smile:

kaos86 said:

and if you really want to improve practice things that are harder than what you're expected to do.

kaos86 said:
I did it...I pulled a fast one and I DID IT!

Take a look...

http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=grdes.jpg

I pulled an all night study for the finals and made it.

What I've learned from this:

1.) Videos games need to be restricted.(Play them on weekends is better.)

2.) Never be cocky in any class.
(I thought I was a math god because I passed college algebra with an "A".)

4.) If I want to study Theoretical Physics, I need to be more serious about it.

Lesson learned! And I thank those who reply in this thread.

Thank you everyone for your tips and experiences. :smile:

80% Yay! :approve: