Ferromagnetism, electrodynamics and field theory

In summary, the conversation discussed the confusion surrounding ferromagnetism and its absence in literature on electrodynamics and field theory. The speaker is seeking references on the fields produced by permanent magnets and the interaction of ferromagnetic materials with magnetic fields, specifically for engineering purposes. The book "Dynamic Electromagnetics" by Paul Diament was mentioned, but the expert suggests studying the theory (M, B, mu, chi) and recommends the texts by Reitz and Milford and Smythe for analytic calculations and application examples. Overall, the conversation highlights the need for numerical methods in dealing with complex magnetic fields.
Babcock McGee
Hi all,

I'm a bit confused about ferromagnetism (and I've come to realize that I'm not the only one)! I'm currently studying electrodynamics and field theory in general to solidify my understanding of such, but permanent magnets and ferromagnetic materials seem to be often ignored in the literature. I'm comfortable with charged body scenarios in the presence of magnetic fields, and the creation of magnetic fields by moving charges, etc., but I'm unable to make predictions or construct field equations involving permanent magnets, and also completely unable to understand how a magnet seems to do work by picking up an iron nail.

Before this gets too verbose, here's the bottom line: Could someone refer me to reading on the fields resulting from permanent magnets, and interaction of ferromagnetic materials with magnetic fields? I'm really interested in this from an engineering perspective, so while reductive explanations (e.g. magnetic domains as microscopic current loops) are interesting, I'm really looking for theory which will facilitate design and prediction at the macro level, ideally a set of equations.

Thanks.

p.s. The main book I've settled on is Dynamic Electromagnetics by Paul Diament. Any opinions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the engineering literature. I would say that you should study the theory (M, B, mu, chi) to do a proper job of understanding applications. It won't take you long if you've mastered the fields of moving charges. As for physics texts, take a look at Reitz and Milford, they cover the material in one chapter that is straightforward and quite applied (for a physics text...).

The problem with magnetic fields and ferromagnetic materials is that analytic methods fail for all but the simplest cases. This is the domain of finite element and similar codes, which are used extensively by anyone working in magnetics (whether it be microscopic read/write heads or huge iron shields for magnetic resonance imaging). There is a gigantic literature on numerical methods and applications.

As for analytic calculations, Smythe, Static and Dynamic Electricity, calculates the field from a magnet with a gap and also the lifting power of a horseshoe magnet under simplified conditions. These should get you started.

Hi there,

I can understand your confusion about ferromagnetism and its relationship to electrodynamics and field theory. While these topics may seem separate, they are actually closely related and can be better understood by looking at the underlying principles.

Ferromagnetism is a property exhibited by certain materials, such as iron, cobalt, and nickel, where they can become permanently magnetized when exposed to a magnetic field. This is due to the alignment of their atomic magnetic moments, which creates a macroscopic magnetic field. This phenomenon is not fully explained by classical electrodynamics and requires a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics.

In terms of field theory, ferromagnetism can be described using the concept of magnetic domains, which you mentioned in your post. These are regions within a ferromagnetic material where the atomic magnetic moments are aligned in the same direction. The overall magnetization of the material is then a result of the combined effect of these domains.

When it comes to the interaction of ferromagnetic materials with magnetic fields, it is important to consider the concept of hysteresis. This is the lagging of the magnetization of a material behind the applied magnetic field, and it is a result of the energy required to switch the alignment of the magnetic domains. This is what allows magnets to do work, such as picking up an iron nail.

In terms of resources, I would recommend looking into books on solid state physics, as well as electromagnetics and magnetism. Some popular titles include "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel and "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward Purcell. Additionally, there are many online resources and videos that can help deepen your understanding of these topics.

In terms of the book you mentioned, "Dynamic Electromagnetics" by Paul Diament, it is a good resource for understanding the fundamentals of electromagnetics, but it may not cover ferromagnetism in depth. I would suggest supplementing it with other resources specifically focused on magnetism and ferromagnetism.

I hope this helps clarify some of your questions and provides a starting point for further exploration. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Ferromagnetism, electrodynamics and field theory

What is ferromagnetism?

Ferromagnetism is a phenomenon where certain materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, become permanently magnetized when exposed to an external magnetic field. These materials have atomic structures that allow their electrons to align in the same direction, creating a strong magnetic force.

What is electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the interaction between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields. It explains how electric and magnetic forces work and how they can be used to produce and transmit energy.

What is field theory?

Field theory is a mathematical framework used to describe physical phenomena in terms of fields, which are mathematical abstractions that represent the distribution of physical quantities, such as electric and magnetic fields. It is used in many areas of physics, including electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity.

What is the difference between ferromagnetism and electromagnetism?

Ferromagnetism is a permanent magnetic property of certain materials, while electromagnetism is a temporary magnetism produced by the flow of electric current. In ferromagnetism, the magnetic field is intrinsic to the material, while in electromagnetism, the magnetic field is created by the movement of charged particles.

What practical applications does ferromagnetism and electrodynamics have?

Ferromagnetism has numerous practical applications, such as in the production of magnets for various electronic devices, motors, and generators. Electrodynamics has applications in the design of electrical circuits, communication systems, and technologies such as MRI machines. Both fields also play a crucial role in understanding and developing technologies related to renewable energy sources.