Final project - fate of the universe - need ideas

In summary, a college-level Astronomy student is seeking help with ideas for a creative and informative final project presentation on the fate of the universe. The student's current outline includes the most likely end state, other less likely end states, and the potential impact on humanity. They are also interested in the possibility of the universe quantum fluctuating back into existence. The presentation should be around 5 minutes long and they are open to any ideas, no matter how unconventional.
brum
I am in a college-level Astronomy course this summer, and my final project topic is on the fate of the universe. I must present this in a creative, entertaining way for the class. But I also would like to have up-to-date, sound science in there, too. What I would like from you guys is some ideas for how to present it (I don't care how crazy they are). The presentation should be about 5 minutes.

Here is my current outline of information and material I am considering presenting. I can make this presentation a certain aspect of the fate of the universe and present that in more detail. Also, I don't have to present all of the information I have here tentatively in my outline -- it's subject to change.

Thanks for any ideas and input!

OUTLINE
1. most likely end state (runaway acceleration, “heat death”)

a. model (possibly act this out)
i. stars use up their fuel & fizzle out (thousand billion years from now)
ii. hawking radiation blasts (next 10^122 years)
iii. nothing for the next unimaginably large 10 to the 10^26 years
iv. iron atoms undergo “tunneling”
1. these atoms disappear into tiny black holes
2. these black holes fizzle out due to Hawking radiation
v. cold, dark, lonely

b. how did we come to this conclusion?
i. explore the value of Omega
ii. explore the factors that determine the end state
1. baryonic matter (“ordinary matter”)
2. dark matter
3. dark energy

2. other end states (less likely ones)
i. closed (Big Crunch, Omega > 1)
ii. flat (Omega = 1)
iii. open (Omega < 1)

3. what’s in it for humans
i. for how long could we theoretically survive?
ii. how would we survive this long?
1. hibernation
2. disembodied digital intelligence

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It looks good to me. I would add the possibility the universe could quantum fluctuate back into existence again by the same mechanism that created it. Perhaps, when it 'thins out' sufficiently, quantum fluctuation effects will take back control.

Chronos said:
It looks good to me. I would add the possibility the universe could quantum fluctuate back into existence again by the same mechanism that created it. Perhaps, when it 'thins out' sufficiently, quantum fluctuation effects will take back control.

woah I've never heard of this one!

could you possibly point me to a site that has more info on this?
thanks for the help, Chronos!

brum said:
i. stars use up their fuel & fizzle out (thousand billion years from now)
ii. hawking radiation blasts (next 10^122 years)
iii. nothing for the next unimaginably large 10 to the 10^26 years
iv. iron atoms undergo “tunneling”
1. these atoms disappear into tiny black holes
2. these black holes fizzle out due to Hawking radiation
v. cold, dark, lonely
AFAIK, this is not quite correct. I don't know what is the timeframe for the last stars to burn out and for existing and new black holes to evaporate. But assumming the timeframes you specified are correct, then this should go approximately like this:
I. ~10^12 years from now: Last stars burn out. Soon after (a few dozen of billions of years later), the last radioactive isotopes decay to a stable form.
II. ~10^37 years from now: Barionic matter dissapears through proton decay.
III. ~10^160 years: Last black hole evaporates.

Related to Final project - fate of the universe - need ideas

1. What is the fate of the universe?

The fate of the universe is a topic that has been debated and studied by scientists for centuries. There are several theories about what will ultimately happen to the universe, but the most widely accepted is the Big Freeze or Heat Death scenario. This theory suggests that the universe will continue to expand and eventually reach a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and there is no more potential for change or growth.

2. How do scientists study the fate of the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the fate of the universe, including mathematical models, astronomical observations, and experiments. They also rely on data from cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the residual heat left over from the Big Bang. By analyzing this data, scientists can make predictions about the future of the universe.

3. Is there any evidence to support the Big Freeze theory?

Yes, there is a significant amount of evidence to support the Big Freeze theory. Observations of distant galaxies have shown that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, which supports the idea that the universe will continue to expand and eventually reach a state of maximum entropy. Additionally, studies of cosmic microwave background radiation have also provided evidence for this theory.

4. Are there any other theories about the fate of the universe?

Yes, there are several other theories about the fate of the universe. These include the Big Crunch theory, which suggests that the universe will eventually collapse in on itself, and the Big Rip theory, which proposes that the expansion of the universe will continue to accelerate until it tears apart all matter and energy. However, these theories are not as widely accepted as the Big Freeze theory.

5. Can humans do anything to change the fate of the universe?

As far as current scientific knowledge goes, humans do not have the ability to change the fate of the universe. The laws of physics and the forces that govern the universe are beyond our control. However, our actions can have an impact on the future of our planet and potentially the fate of our species. It is important for us to continue to study and understand the universe in order to make informed decisions about our future.