Find 1.25" Focuser for 8" Newtonian Telescope

• Thread starter zeriodpeezeriod
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking help in finding a specific type of focuser for their Newtonian telescope. They require a 1.25" focuser with a minimum fully racked in height of 1 3/4 inches, but are having trouble finding one with these specifications. Suggestions are made to use extensions and diagonals or to consider a heavier-duty 2" focuser for photography purposes. A link is also provided for an Orion focuser that has a racked-in height of 2-11/16" and 1.4" of drawtube travel. It is noted that additional adapters may be needed for certain telescope reflectors and for attaching a camera.
zeriodpeezeriod
Can someone help me? I'm building a Newtonian telescope, 8-inch, f/6, secondary minor axis 1.5 inch. According to the instructions I'm following, I need a 1.25" focuser with minimum fully racked in height of 1 3/4 inches. Problem is, I just can't seem to find a focuser with those specs. Are they that unusual? Could someone send me a link if you're able to find one? Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

That's the racked-out length? That doesn't seem very long, but if you can't find one long enough you can always make them longer with extensions and diagonals. Also, if you want to do photography, you might prefer the heavier-duty 2". Have a look at this:
http://www.telescope.com/Orion-2-Crayford-Style-Telescope-Focuser/p/13039.uts?keyword=crayford focuser
Orion said:
It has a racked-in height of 2-11/16" and 1.4" (35mm) of drawtube travel. The base is contoured to fit Orion 8"- to 12"-aperture Dobsonian and other telescope reflector tubes. It replaces 2" rack-and-pinion focusers on Orion telescope reflectors.

NOTE: For 203mm (8") f/4.9 and 254mm (10") f/4.7 Orion reflectors, a #5122 eyepiece adapter is needed to reach focus. For attachment of a camera body for prime-focus photography, a #5117 T-thread camera adapter is required (sold separately)."

zeriodpeezeriod said:
According to the instructions I'm following, I need a 1.25" focuser with minimum fully racked in height of 1 3/4 inches.

A minimum racked in height? That sounds like the racked in height an be larger than 1 3/4 inches, of which there are plenty of focusers.

Related to Find 1.25" Focuser for 8" Newtonian Telescope

1. What is a "Find 1.25" Focuser"?

A "Find 1.25" Focuser is a type of telescope focusing mechanism designed specifically for use with an 8" Newtonian telescope. It allows for precise and smooth adjustments to the telescope's focus, enabling clearer and sharper views of celestial objects.

2. How does a "Find 1.25" Focuser work?

The "Find 1.25" Focuser uses a rack-and-pinion system to move the eyepiece or camera closer to or further away from the primary mirror of the telescope. This allows for precise adjustments to the focus point, resulting in clearer and more detailed views of celestial objects.

3. Is a "Find 1.25" Focuser necessary for my 8" Newtonian telescope?

While not absolutely necessary, a "Find 1.25" Focuser can greatly enhance the viewing experience with an 8" Newtonian telescope. It allows for more precise focusing, which can make a significant difference in the clarity and detail of observed objects.

4. Can I install a "Find 1.25" Focuser on my own?

Installation of a "Find 1.25" Focuser can vary depending on the specific model and your level of experience with telescope maintenance. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer's instructions or seek the assistance of a professional if you are uncertain about the installation process.

5. Are there any alternatives to a "Find 1.25" Focuser for my 8" Newtonian telescope?

Yes, there are other types of focusers that can be used with an 8" Newtonian telescope, such as Crayford and helical focusers. These may offer similar or even better performance, but it ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific telescope setup.