Find all 10x10 Matrices such that ColA=NulA

• Thread starter cocobobos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary: And does this imply that y must be the zero vector in order for the equation to be true?So if a vector y in is Nul(A) then this means that the equation y=c1v1+...+cnvn with cn scalars must equal 0? And does this imply that y must be the zero vector in order for the equation to be true?Yes, that is correct. In summary, the conversation discusses finding all 10x10 matrices where the column space is equal to the null space. The proof provided shows that the rank of such a matrix should be 5. However, there are other restrictions besides rank 5 that must be considered. The conversation also mentions using the choose function to determine the number
cocobobos

Homework Statement

Find all 10x10 Matrices such that the column space is equal to the null space.

Homework Equations

Choose Function: n!/k!(n-k)!
where n is the total number of elements and k is the number k-cominations of the set.

rankA+dimNulA=n for a matrix in R^n

The Attempt at a Solution

There is a short and simple proof that we can use to determine that the rank of such a matrix should be 5.

Proof: Let A be a 10x10 matrix and suppose that ColA=NulA
=> rankA=dimNulA
=> rankA+dimNulA=10
=> rankA+rankA=10
=> 2rankA=10
=> rankA=5

Ok so from this I can deduce that I will have 5 linearly independent vectors in R^10 that will make up my matrix.

Now what I was thinking about this is that this must mean that to find ALL matricies I simply have to take permuations of my linearly independent vectors. For example a possibility for a matrix would be <e1,e2,e3,e4,e5,0,0,0,0,0> where e1,...,e5 are the basis vectors for R^10 and those 0's are the 0 vectors in r^10. Another possibility would be
<0,e2,e4,e5,0,0,0,e1,e3,0> and so on.

This seems like it'd be A LOT of possibilites so what I thought about doing was utilizing the choose function and from it's utilization I determined that because I have 10 columns total, with 5 vectors as a possibility to make up those columns, then I should have 252 possible combinations which are simply permutations of a 10x10 matrix with the vectors e1,...e5 as a basis.

Is my line of thinking correct or am I way off?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have more restrictions than just having rank 5. For example, the matrix
<e1,e2,e3,e4,e5,0,0,0,0,0> has as its null space span(e6,e7,e8,e9,e10) but has as its column space span(e1,e2,e3,e4,e5). If I tell you that the columns have to be e1,e2,e3,e4 and e5 can you identify which columns you can put them in in order to force the condition that the null space and column space are the same?

You seem to be focussing on finding all the 10x10 matrices that have rank 5. However, not every matrix with rank 5 will satisfy Col(A)=Nul(A). For example

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cccccccccc}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Will not have Col(A)=Nul(A). So you have a lot of redundancy.

Maybe you should think about what [itex]A^2[/itex] is.

I'm really confused what do you mean by A^2? Are you saying that A is the identity matrix? I guess I'm just confused in general about WHEN the column is EVEN equal to the null space at all.. How can you tell?

cocobobos said:
I'm really confused what do you mean by A^2? Are you saying that A is the identity matrix?

No, not at all.

Take an arbitrary x. What can you say about [itex]Ax[/itex] (think about Col(A))? What about [itex]AAx[/itex]. What can you conclude about [itex]A^2[/itex]??

micromass said:
No, not at all.

Take an arbitrary x. What can you say about [itex]Ax[/itex] (think about Col(A))? What about [itex]AAx[/itex]. What can you conclude about [itex]A^2[/itex]??
So what we can say about Ax is that it will be a linear combination of the column vectors of A?

cocobobos said:
So what we can say about Ax is that it will be a linear combination of the column vectors of A?

Yes,so it will be an element of Col(A) rigtht?? But Col(A)=Nul(A), so...

micromass said:
Yes,so it will be an element of Col(A) rigtht?? But Col(A)=Nul(A), so...
Ok so the column space of A consists of all possible products Ax for any x an element of R^n. So if the Col(A) is equal to the Nul(A) which is the set of all vectors x for which Ax = 0 then this tells us that Ax must be equal to zero? aka the linear combination must be equal to 0?

cocobobos said:
Ok so the column space of A consists of all possible products Ax for any x an element of R^n. So if the Col(A) is equal to the Nul(A) which is the set of all vectors x for which Ax = 0 then this tells us that Ax must be equal to zero? aka the linear combination must be equal to 0?

No.

The only thing you know now is that Ax is in Col(A). So Ax is in Nul(A). So...

micromass said:
No.

The only thing you know now is that Ax is in Col(A). So Ax is in Nul(A). So...
Well if Ax is in Nul(A) then isn't the null space of A the same as the solution set to the homogeneous system Ax=0?

So for a 10x10 matrix the null space of that matrix would consist of all vectors x in R^10 such that Ax=0 ?

Yes, y is in the nullspace if Ay=0.

Now you know that Ax is in the nullspace. So what must hold?

So Ax must equal 0?

cocobobos said:
So Ax must equal 0?

No. Ax is in the nullspace. That does not mean that it equals 0.

Ohh ok do you mean that if Ax is in the null space then:
Nul(A) must contain the zero vector
If x ∈ Nul(A) and y ∈ Nul(A), then x + y ∈ Nul(A) (aka closed under addition)
If x ∈ Nul(A) and c is a scalar, then cx ∈ Nul(A) (aka closed under scalar multiplication)

y is in Nul(A). What does that mean?? What is the definition??

Now apply this on y=Ax.

micromass said:
y is in Nul(A). What does that mean?? What is the definition??

Now apply this on y=Ax.
So if a vector y in is Nul(A) then this means that the equation y=c1v1+...+cnvn with cn scalars must equal 0?

FAQ: Find all 10x10 Matrices such that ColA=NulA

1. What is the meaning of "ColA=NulA" in the context of 10x10 matrices?

"ColA=NulA" refers to the equality of the column space and the null space of a 10x10 matrix. In other words, the column space (ColA) and the null space (NulA) contain the same vectors.

2. How can I find all 10x10 matrices that satisfy the condition "ColA=NulA"?

To find matrices that satisfy "ColA=NulA", you can use the row reduction method to transform a given matrix into reduced row echelon form. The resulting matrix will have the same column space and null space, thus satisfying the condition.

3. Can a 10x10 matrix have more than one solution for "ColA=NulA"?

Yes, a 10x10 matrix can have infinitely many solutions for "ColA=NulA". This occurs when the matrix has linearly dependent columns, meaning that some of the columns can be written as a linear combination of other columns.

4. Are there any specific properties or characteristics of matrices that satisfy "ColA=NulA"?

Matrices that satisfy "ColA=NulA" are singular matrices, meaning they have a determinant of 0. They also have at least one zero row or column in their reduced row echelon form.

5. How is the condition "ColA=NulA" useful in practical applications?

The condition "ColA=NulA" is useful in understanding the relationship between the column space and the null space of a matrix. It can also be used in solving systems of linear equations and in understanding the rank of a matrix.