Find Distance between Poles Given Hanging Cable

• MHB
  • Thread starter soroban
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary, the ends of an 80-foot cable are attached to the tops of two 50-foot poles. The lowest point of the cable is 10 feet from the ground. Using the equation of a hanging cable, which is a catenary, the distance between the poles can be found by calculating the value of 'x' when the poles are closer and closer together. This can be seen in the videos shared by a mathematician from Oxford.
soroban

The ends of an 80-foot cable are attached to the tops of two 50-foot pole.
The lowest point of the cable is 10 feet from the ground.
Find the distance between the poles.

Code:
                L = 80
         |                 |
         |                 |
         |*               *|
         |                 |
      50 | *             * | 50
         |  *           *  |
         |    *       *    |
         |        *        |
         |        :        |
         |        :10      |
         |        :        |
         *--------+--------*
         : - - -  x  - - - :
The equation of a hanging cable is not a parabola.

It is a catenary, with the basic equation: .[tex]y \:=\:\frac{e^{ax} + e^{-ax}}{2}[/tex][There is a reason why this problem is not
. . listed under "Challenge Questions".]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is what I used to get my bridge design lol. I had to write a paper on this. Wish I could find it on my school computer and give it to you guys. Here is a mathematician from oxford that is inspiring and talks about catenary The Catenary - Mathematics All Around Us. - YouTube Although not an explanation more like trying to get people to see something in mathematics, here is one that explains catenary curve The Catenary - YouTube .

I'm thinking, what happens when the poles get closer and closer together? View attachment 716Aha! So that's why you wrote "pole" rather than "poles", I thought it was just a typo.

Attachments

• 15274680-light-bulb-icon.jpg
    15274680-light-bulb-icon.jpg
    811 bytes · Views: 74
Hello, Opalg!

You got it!

The word "pole" was indeed a typo.
I've corrected it.

The distance between the poles can be calculated using the catenary equation and the given information. We know that the lowest point of the cable is 10 feet from the ground, which means that the function will have a y-intercept of 10. We also know that the length of the cable is 80 feet, which means that the distance between the poles is 80 feet minus the combined height of the poles (50 feet + 50 feet).

Using the catenary equation, we can set up the following equation:

10 = (50e^ax + 50e^-ax)/2

Solving for a, we get a = ln(3/5)/50 ≈ -0.0055.

Now, we can use this value of a to find the distance between the poles:

Distance = (ln(3/5) + ln(3/5))/(-0.0055) ≈ 353.6 feet.

Therefore, the distance between the poles is approximately 353.6 feet.

Related to Find Distance between Poles Given Hanging Cable

What is the formula for finding the distance between two poles with a hanging cable?

The formula for finding the distance between two poles with a hanging cable is d = √(h^2 + (l/2)^2), where d is the distance between the poles, h is the height of the cable at its lowest point, and l is the length of the cable.

Do I need to know the height and length of the cable to find the distance between the poles?

Yes, the height and length of the cable are essential in calculating the distance between the poles. Without this information, the formula cannot be solved accurately.

What units should I use for the height and length of the cable?

The units for the height and length of the cable should be consistent. For example, if the height is measured in meters, the length should also be in meters. This will ensure that the distance between the poles is also in the same unit.

Can I use this formula for any type of hanging cable between two poles?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of hanging cable, as long as the cable follows a parabolic shape. This includes cables used for zip lines, power lines, and suspension bridges.

Are there any assumptions or limitations with this formula?

One assumption with this formula is that the cable is perfectly parabolic, meaning it follows a smooth, symmetrical curve. Additionally, this formula does not take into account external factors such as wind or weight distribution on the cable, which may affect the accuracy of the distance between the poles.

Back