Find the angular speed of a cylinder with a spring

In summary: Remember to always identify what is given and what you are trying to find, draw a diagram, and use relevant equations to solve the problem. Keep up the good work!
Hernaner28

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=48757&stc=1&d=1341010084.gif

A cylinder of radious r=10cm and mass m=1Kg is attached to a spring of constant k=18N/m.
In every moment the cylinder rolls without slipping over the inclined plane with an angle of 30º.
The other extreme of the spring is attached to a fixed point O, as shown. If the cylinder is released from rest being the center of mass a distance L=43cm from point O, ¿which will be the angular speed of the cylinder when its center reaches a distance of L/2 from O?

The correct answer is 5,1 rad/s.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried with conservation of energy:

[tex] \displaystyle {{E}_{0}}=\frac{1}{2}k{{L}^{2}}[/tex]

[tex] \displaystyle {{E}_{f}}=\frac{1}{2}I\omega +\frac{1}{2}k\frac{{{L}^{2}}}{4}+mg\left( \frac{L}{2}\sin 30{}^\text{o} \right)+\frac{1}{2}m{{v}^{2}}[/tex]

I have two unknown quantities the angular and linear speed.

But the angular and linear aceleration are not constant! So how can I figure out the value of V just at point L/2?

UPDATE: So stupid I am, v=wR and now I do get:

w = 5.093459858 rad/s :)Thanks

Attachments

• roll.gif
    roll.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 714
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for posting this problem! It's always great to see students actively trying to solve problems and engage in scientific thinking. Let's break down this problem and see what steps you can take to solve it.

First, we need to identify what is given in the problem and what we are trying to find. From the problem statement, we are given the radius of the cylinder (r=10cm), its mass (m=1Kg), the spring constant (k=18N/m), the angle of the inclined plane (30º), and the distance of the center of mass from point O (L=43cm). We are trying to find the angular speed of the cylinder when its center reaches a distance of L/2 from O.

Next, we can use the given information to draw a diagram and identify any relevant equations. From the diagram, we can see that the cylinder is experiencing both rotational and translational motion. We can use the equations for conservation of energy and the relationship between linear and angular velocity (v=wR) to solve this problem.

Now, we need to set up the equations and solve for the unknown quantities. The equation for conservation of energy is a good starting point, but as you noted, the acceleration is not constant. However, we can use the relationship between linear and angular velocity to express the linear velocity in terms of the angular velocity (v=wR). This allows us to eliminate the linear velocity from the equation and solve for the angular velocity at the desired point (L/2).

Substituting the value of v=wR into the equation for conservation of energy, we get:

\displaystyle {{E}_{0}}=\frac{1}{2}k{{L}^{2}}= \displaystyle {{E}_{f}}=\frac{1}{2}I\omega +\frac{1}{2}k\frac{{{L}^{2}}}{4}+mg\left( \frac{L}{2}\sin 30{}^\text{o} \right)+\frac{1}{2}m{{(wR)}^{2}}

Simplifying and solving for w, we get:

w = √( kL^2 / 2mR^2 + (mgR/2I)^2)

Plugging in the given values, we get w = 5.093459858 rad/s, which is very close to the correct answer of 5.1 rad/s.

Great

FAQ: Find the angular speed of a cylinder with a spring

1. How do you calculate the angular speed of a cylinder with a spring?

The angular speed of a cylinder with a spring can be calculated by dividing the linear speed of the spring by the radius of the cylinder.

2. What is the formula for finding the angular speed of a cylinder with a spring?

The formula for finding the angular speed of a cylinder with a spring is ω = v/r, where ω is the angular speed, v is the linear speed of the spring, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

3. What is the unit of measurement for angular speed?

The unit of measurement for angular speed is radians per second (rad/s).

4. Can the angular speed of a cylinder with a spring change?

Yes, the angular speed of a cylinder with a spring can change depending on factors such as the linear speed of the spring, the radius of the cylinder, and any external forces acting on the system.

5. How does the angular speed of a cylinder with a spring affect its motion?

The angular speed of a cylinder with a spring affects its motion by determining the rate at which the cylinder rotates. A higher angular speed will result in a faster rotation, while a lower angular speed will result in a slower rotation.

Back