Find the Best Hand Vacuum Pump for Long-Term Use

In summary: Social-Media-_-Check-Valves&cm_mmca=Search-_-Check-Valves&cpc=1&cid=1568&p=0I can't find a good price on the Vaccon one, but they do make a version that is slightly smaller for residential use.
leroyjenkens
I have a hand vacuum pump I'm using to evacuate air out of a container and hold the vacuum for a long period of time. This pump came with a valve that eventually failed. I bought a few more just like it and those failed as well. I guess the diaphragm inside the valve is too weak to hold a vacuum for extended periods of time. I think this hand vacuum pump is for pools or something. I'd get a stronger hand pump or stronger valve, but I'm not sure what kind of company would be in that business. I don't necessarily have to get just a stronger valve. I'll buy a new hand pump if I need to. But does anyone know if there's a manual pump that won't fail from having a decent vacuum for extended periods of time? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you need to keep the pump hooked to the vacuum source? It sounds to me like you might want a pump and piping configuration that allows you to disconnect the evacuated chamber from the pump. Just a guess.

turbo said:
Do you need to keep the pump hooked to the vacuum source? It sounds to me like you might want a pump and piping configuration that allows you to disconnect the evacuated chamber from the pump. Just a guess.

It doesn't have to stay hooked up. Just the vacuum needs to stay in the container. I was thinking of a hose clamp, but that may weaken the hose after a while, because the hose has to be pretty rigid not to collapse from the vacuum.

What kind of pipe could I use that would allow me to disconnect the pump?

Thanks for the response.

I was imagining an external hand pump evacuating a chamber. A rigid pipe with a nice block valve (ball valve would be ideal) would be enough to hold the vacuum in the chamber. Not knowing the exact configuration of your pump and chamber setup makes it hard to come up with anything more useful. Good luck.

The check valve I've been using, I think, just has a rubber diaphragm. That diaphragm appears to weaken over time from holding a vacuum. Here's an example of a valve I could work with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-inch-one-way-check-valve-AIR-RIDE-Bags-bagged-air-compressor-male-female-/161104279396?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2582903764&vxp=mtr

So that thing has a ball valve inside of it? A ball valve wouldn't fail as easily as a rubber diaphragm, would it? I assume there's some kind of rubber inside for the ball to rest on to create a seal, and for it to fail, that seal would probably have to get old and crack or whatever, or just have a ridiculous pressure that crushes the rubber and ruins it. I don't need anything that strong. A rubber diaphragm held up for quite a while, so this seems like it would work a lot better. What do you think?

I still haven't seen a sketch of your set-up, so I'm in the dark. I can tell you that well-machined ball valves with integral seals are just what lots of people use in vacuum situations.

leroyjenkens said:
The check valve I've been using, I think, just has a rubber diaphragm. That diaphragm appears to weaken over time from holding a vacuum. Here's an example of a valve I could work with:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-inch-one-way-check-valve-AIR-RIDE-Bags-bagged-air-compressor-male-female-/161104279396?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2582903764&vxp=mtr

So that thing has a ball valve inside of it? A ball valve wouldn't fail as easily as a rubber diaphragm, would it? I assume there's some kind of rubber inside for the ball to rest on to create a seal, and for it to fail, that seal would probably have to get old and crack or whatever, or just have a ridiculous pressure that crushes the rubber and ruins it. I don't need anything that strong. A rubber diaphragm held up for quite a while, so this seems like it would work a lot better. What do you think?

The one on ebay is a good price if it will work. They are made to hold pressure in air ride vehicles.

Vaccon makes vacuum check valves for industrial purposes but they are about $30 in that size range.

http://www.vaccon.com/Check-Valves-Home.aspx

FAQ: Find the Best Hand Vacuum Pump for Long-Term Use

1. How do I choose the best hand vacuum pump for long-term use?

To choose the best hand vacuum pump for long-term use, consider the quality and durability of the materials used, the strength and efficiency of the pump, and the brand's reputation for reliability. It's also important to read reviews and compare different models to find the one that best fits your needs.

2. What features should I look for in a hand vacuum pump for long-term use?

Some important features to look for in a hand vacuum pump for long-term use include a strong and durable pump mechanism, a comfortable and ergonomic handle, a variety of attachments for different tasks, and a large and easy-to-empty collection container. It's also helpful to look for a pump that is easy to maintain and has a good warranty.

3. How often should I use a hand vacuum pump for long-term use?

The frequency of use for a hand vacuum pump will depend on your specific needs and the tasks you are using it for. However, it is generally recommended to use it at least once a week for routine maintenance and cleaning. If you are using it for more heavy-duty tasks, it may need to be used more frequently.

4. Can I use a hand vacuum pump for both wet and dry materials?

Most hand vacuum pumps are designed to handle both wet and dry materials, but it's important to check the manufacturer's instructions to be sure. Some pumps may have specific attachments for wet or dry materials, while others may be able to handle both without any additional attachments.

5. How do I properly maintain a hand vacuum pump for long-term use?

To maintain a hand vacuum pump for long-term use, it's important to regularly clean and empty the collection container, check and replace any worn or damaged parts, and store it in a dry and safe place when not in use. It's also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for any specific maintenance and care recommendations.