Find the Current Flowing through each resistor

In summary, the conversation is about solving mistakes on a homework assignment and understanding how to find the voltage drop in a circuit with two batteries arranged in opposite polarity. The conversation discusses using Kirchhoff's voltage law and assigning current directions in loop equations to correctly calculate the voltage drop. The summary also mentions the importance of understanding voltage polarity and correctly assigning current directions for accurate analysis.
Kelsi_Jade

Homework Statement

upload_2017-3-27_18-32-38.png

Homework Equations

/ 3. The Attempt at a Solution
Looking to solve mistakes to study from homework. Here's what I had so far[/B]
upload_2017-3-27_18-32-1.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Good. Now: what is your question ?

The batteries are arranged in opposite polarity. Check your second equation.

I'm just wondering how to find the Voltage drop.
Would I need to find the voltage using V=IR for each of the currents that I found and then I could observe the drop from V1 to V2?

IS it clear what you mean with V1 and V2 ? What do you think of Magoo's remark ?

magoo said:
The batteries are arranged in opposite polarity. Check your second equation.
Aren't the currents going in the same direction, though? - They're both moving in a clock-wise direction?

Yes, so do the voltage drop over the 2 k##\Omega## and the 5V have he same sign or an opposite sign ?

Hmm...If you start with 10V and on the opposite side is 5V, is it bc of Kirchhoff's voltage law that the voltage drop would be negative over the 2kOhm to 5V battery?
Because your overall voltage of the loop should end up =0?

Kelsi_Jade said:
Because your overall voltage of the loop should end up =0?
Sum of potential changes (gains and drops) should be zero.

Kelsi_Jade said:
If you start with 10V and on the opposite side is 5V, is it bc of Kirchhoff's voltage law that the voltage drop would be negative over the 2kOhm to 5V battery
Usually, you can't predict that. You should assume the directions of currents first and solve the KVL and KCL equations. If the current direction assumed is incorrect, you'll get a minus sign in the answer.

A few things:

Voltage polarity is due to potential difference.

Your equations don't seem to be loop (mesh) equations.

The direction to assign a current for analysis is arbitrary, as long as you don't swap it's direction mid analysis. If you guessed the correct direction, the result will be positive. Otherwise, the result will be negative. Compare your result, to the direction you assigned, and that will tell you which way current is flowing.

Related to Find the Current Flowing through each resistor

What is the formula for finding the current flowing through a resistor?

The formula for finding the current flowing through a resistor is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes (A), V is the voltage in volts (V), and R is the resistance in ohms (Ω).

How do I determine the current flowing through multiple resistors in a circuit?

To determine the current flowing through multiple resistors in a circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). KCL states that the total current entering a junction is equal to the total current leaving the junction. You can use this law to set up a system of equations and solve for the current through each resistor.

Can the current flowing through a resistor be negative?

No, the current flowing through a resistor cannot be negative. Current is defined as the flow of positive charge, so it can only have positive values.

What factors affect the current flowing through a resistor?

The current flowing through a resistor is affected by the voltage across the resistor, the resistance of the resistor, and the type of material the resistor is made of. Temperature can also affect the resistance and therefore the current flowing through a resistor.

Can the current flowing through a resistor change over time?

Yes, the current flowing through a resistor can change over time. This can be due to changes in the voltage or resistance of the circuit, or due to external factors such as temperature. The current flowing through a resistor can also vary if the circuit contains components that change the current, such as capacitors or inductors.