Find the current flowing through the 3 ohm resistor.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total resistance and current in a resistor network. The (.) symbol represents a closed circuit and the current flow. The conversation also includes a calculation for the total resistance and current in the circuit using Ohm's law. However, the current through the 3 ohm resistor is still unknown and the conversation ends with a suggestion to calculate it by finding the voltage across the resistor.
prakhargupta3301
Poster reminded to use the Homework Help Template in the future for schoolwork posts
75f2915587b80fd9b0259de95f285c4a.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show your attempt at a solution.
Have you computed the total resistance of that resistor network?
What is that -(.)- symbol?

The (.) means a closed key= closed circuit. THe current is flowing.
I have done this:
1/R= 1/6+1/3= 3/6= 1/2 (the 6 ohm and 3 ohm resistors are in ||)
R= 2 ohms
Now:
(2+10) ohms= 12 ohms (They are now in series)
Acc. to Ohm's law:
I= V/R
= 12/12
= 1 Ampere
Now I have found the total current in the circuit.
But I need to find the current through the 3 ohm resistor. I can't do it. Please help me find the current through the 3 ohm resistor.

You have 1 amp across the 3-ohm/6-ohm pair. You know the resistance of that pair, so you can compute the voltage drop across it.
Then you will know the voltage across the 3-ohm.

Current through the 3Ω resistor can be calculated if you know the voltage across it.
Is it possible to determine what this voltage is?

FAQ: Find the current flowing through the 3 ohm resistor.

1. What is the formula for calculating current?

The formula for calculating current is I = V/R, where I is the current in amps, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

2. How do you find the current flowing through a resistor?

To find the current flowing through a resistor, you need to divide the voltage across the resistor by the resistance of the resistor.

3. What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for current is ampere (A).

4. Can current flow through a 3 ohm resistor?

Yes, current can flow through a 3 ohm resistor as long as there is a voltage applied across it.

5. How can you measure the current flowing through a 3 ohm resistor?

You can measure the current flowing through a 3 ohm resistor by using an ammeter, which is a device specifically designed to measure current in a circuit.

Back